Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Is there a GPS and diagnostics for a Mac?

We've talked many times about a GPS app for iPhone/iPad etc but not for a Mac. I've done a Google search and didn't come up with much but I know if there is one you guys have found it.

Since Mac has a more powerful processor is there software allowing you to tap into other functions of the motorhome? Maybe various diagnostics for engine, slides, power etc?

I thought with all the multiplex systems found in motorhomes today there may be something like that out there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I used to use a GPS and a DeKorme mapping software on a Windows machine, when I retired and went back to Mac, I used the Boot Camp App to run Windows programs on the Macbook. My Google search doesn't show much has changed. I don't try to use my laptop while driving anymore, I find a Garmin GPS much easier to deal with. I have occasionally used my iPhone, but really like the Garmin, perhaps because I'm used to it. The Garmin came with lifetime updates, the GPS system in my Subaru wants $100 for one update. 3 months after purchase I traveled to near Utica, NY to a hotel that didn't exist according to the Subbie GPS, my Garmin showed the hotel even though it had built in the previous year.

As for reading engine codes, I use a Blue tooth code reader that can send info to my iPhone, iPad, or Macbook Pro.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

My Blue Driver OBD Ii tool works with iPad and iPhone, mot sure about a mac but might be worth checking. I use copilot for navigation, again not sure on mac but there is a pc version so they may have Mac version.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

I currently use Copilot for RV on my iPhone. I have the 6+ with the large screen, but I think I need at minimum a 9" iPad screen.

I completely forgot the Mac has a built in GPS called "Maps"! I don't know that much about it but was messing with it a little today and it looks pretty good!

I've never been a real big fan of the iPad and would rather buy the new Mac Book with the 12" screen. The iPad offers both WiFi and Cell and that's nice for sure. What would really be terrific is a Mac GPS with off line maps like I have with Copilot.

Oh well who knows? I read there's an APP emulator for the Mac but that scares me a little. The work arounds can be more trouble their worth.

I'm going to check on the "Blue tooth code reader". Does it work on both gas and diesel?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Mac computers do NOT have a built in GPS receiver. They locate themselves by using the location of the Wifi signals it receives. A USB GPS would need to be plugged in to have true GPS location updated as the computer moves.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Hey Bob, that's right isn't it! A MAC isn't going to work rolling down the highway! It sounds like I need the iPad like it or not. The 9" should probably do the trick right?
Old 11-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Bob, that's right isn't it! A MAC isn't going to work rolling down the highway! It sounds like I need the iPad like it or not. The 9" should probably do the trick right?
You will need to buy the iPad that has cellular, as WiFi only iPads do not have a GPS Receiver. You don't have to use the cellular connection necessarily.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Mac computers do NOT have a built in GPS receiver. They locate themselves by using the location of the Wifi signals it receives. A USB GPS would need to be plugged in to have true GPS location updated as the computer moves.
I have been using a Bad Elf. Nice little unit and looks somewhat like a stop watch. Nice thing is it is small and you can take it hiking or anywhere and it will still work. Doesn't have installed maps though but will give positioning. Might want to check it out.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #9
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
No that isn't right. I have a MacBook Air 13" screen and can use it going down the road.

I just recently changed carriers to T-Mobile. Was having a host of problems with Verizon. When I signed up for my new (NO CONTRACT) plan...they were running a special to get a FREE wifi device called Alcatel Linkzone.
https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...nkzone-prepaid

This wireless device was free (because I just opened a new acc't) but to have internet service to it cost me $20/mo. If I just wanted a local network I wouldn't of had to pay anything. This device gets a nice and fast connection and is very small...smaller than a pack of smokes. What I did is mounted it in the MH right above the DW passenger seat, created a local, secure network, I can have 15 different devices access it. When I was talking to my T-Mobile Rep. he was explaining to me that, if you don't have a SMART TV but just a regular TV with HDMI connections, I can even take my Mac Air, login into my Netflix, Hulu or Amazon acc't on the Mac, plug in a $15 HDMI adapter into the Thunderbolt port, then run a HDMI cable from my Mac to my TV and watch all my internet content on the TV. AND THAT'S FREE TOO. That does NOT go against my data usage. I forget how much data I got for $20/mo. but it was a lot. There's plenty of vid's on YT to see how to how this HDMI hook up works. Very easy.
I needed reliable internet service while underway to run my business. So this is a great, cheap solution IMHO.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

Is there a GPS and diagnostics for a Mac?

I detest the idea that something can't be done. I've got an old copy of MapPoint 2016 for Windows with the GPS Locator. The locator is a Pharos GPS-500. I know that I can use this with my Mac when I have it in Windows mode (I'm dual boot). I believe that there are drivers to make it work with Mac OS X.

These devices are really easy to find and inexpensive, since Microsoft quit making MapPoint. They came with MapPoint and Streets & Trips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3705.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	144155
Old 11-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #11

OP, if you want to PM me, I'll send you this one and you can play with it. I found a driver for it with a search. The question you will have to work on is figuring out what software you want to use for GPS. I have used Streets & Trips using VMWare.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

Hi Martin,

My carrier is AT&T and Iíll be using a MacBook Pro 13Ē. If Iím reading youíre post correctly, I can buy the Alcatel Linkzone and get WiFi on the highways and byways of Americana?

Where does the internet come from, does t-Mobile offer internet service? I went to the Alcatel website and must admit couldnít make heads or tails out of it. It showed AT&T for phones but iPhone wasnít listed. A Mac wasnít listed either but it works on yours, so Iím a little confused? A natural state for me by the way!

With your setup can you use ďMapsĒ that comes with Mac as a GPS?

Iím fascinated with this and interested in hearing more!

Harry
Old 11-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #13

Do you use an iPhone? I did WiFi hotspot with my iPhone (AT&T) then selected that using the WiFi on my MacBook Pro and Maps worked fine.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #14

Hi SouthernDad, I know my iPhone has this feature but never used it. This uses your plans bandwidth right? Have you used it when underway and it worked well?

And Maps works just like a GPS right?

Tags
gps