Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #1

Is there a problem with transfer switch?

Ok, my coach is parked at my sister's place because I actually use it when I visit on the weekends. It also is great for other overnight family visitors.

I am using a 12v battery charger to keep the batteries topped when the furnace runs during the night. It's working very well, so far.

I did want to try 110v shore power but ran into a problem when I hooked up the dog bones to bring 50 amp down to 15.

I have one of those plug in voltage testers with the analog needle that indicates of there is sufficient voltage in any outlet plugged into.

I am getting great voltage from the extension cord from the shed. However, the plug in meter shows just shy of acceptable voltage when plugged into any of the coach outlets.

Any guess as to why I get good from the extension cable and not in the coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would check the voltage coming out of the dog bone, assuming of course there is nothing running that would bring the voltage down. How long and what guage is the extension cord? What is running in the rv? Do you have a way to check how many amps (kill-a-watt meter) are being used? On a side note can you post a picture of you handicap lift, I am thinking out install one.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

I am going to check that with my voltmeter this weekend. I may also pop the cover on the transfer switch and see if there's a way to test output voltage from that.

Lift pictures:

Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

The problem is caused by using an extension cord that is too small and/or too long.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can also check voltage at the load center (breaker box). It's only a short wire away from the shore cord and should have the same voltage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Did you remember to reduce the voltage setting on your converter/inverter to the 15 amp setting? That will reduce the draw by the converter to a lesser amount for keeping the batteries fully charged. That may be chewing up a large portion of your voltage with nothing leftover for the coach.

Remember that you will be limited to what you can power up with only 15 amps available.

When troubleshooting voltage or amperage you should always start at the power source and work towards the coach checking each item that is in line with the power supply.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch