Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Is there a Simple Auto Generator Start?

We have a 2017 Newmar Bay Star with Onan gas generator. We like to camp in national parks and a lot of the time that means no electric. We have the small residential fridge, so we do need to run the generator every day to keep the batteries charged. We are finding some campgrounds have not so friendly generator hours, we are in Banff AB and the morning generator hours are 9:30-11am. That ruins the whole morning. Is there a auto gen start out there somewhere that can just be programmed to come on at certain times of the day? It doesn't need to be tied into the air conditioning or come on if the batteries are low, I have a battery monitor and I would rather use that to decide if I need the generator to come on or not that day. It wouldn't even have to be mounted inside, outside next to the generator would be fine with me.
thanks
Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
misread - at a certain time, I dont know... for that one i’d have to check out a downloaded manual for the auto start
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might consider solar though ... it’s not cheap and it’s difficult to find someone to do it really correctly , but for your purposes it might work well
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #4

Personally, I just don't like the idea of not being nearby when my genset starts. I want to be close enough to respond when something goes awry.

As mentioned, i'd look into solar for extending times between recharges.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Onan makes a plug and play AGS for their product line.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

We would like to find the same thing. I am surprised no one had built one yet. Something like a household lighttimer for the Onan would be perfect.................

A few years ago I contacted Cummings/Onan in Elkhart to see if they had anything and the answer was no. I was told by other Onan dealers that since they were in Elkhart that dealer would be the most likely to have one.No go.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #7

Magnum also makes a stand alone generator start. Google it also there are other companies who make them. Considering one myself.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

Auto start is no problem, there needs to be a timer to allow the generator to run only certain hours...........In NP it is usually 8-10 and 4-6 or around those times.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Magnum makes a standalone AGS (ME-AGS-S) that has been mentioned. I don't know if it has the level of fine tuning that it sounds like may be required regarding allowed generator run times, quiet hours, etc.

Onan used to sell a wireless AGS (EC-30W), but I don't if that is still available for purchase. It seems like the easiest to install aftermarket from the documentation I have been able to find.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

Our MH came with the EC30 and you cannot be spcific about what hours the generator is allowed to run.

I haven't looked into the Magnum.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #11

Here's a thought, and follow me on this. Get one of those timers that will turn the lights on and off at certain times. Cut the plug end off of an old lamp or extension cord and plug it in to the timer. NOW, you will have to find the wires for your generator start signal. Splice the plug end from the extension cord between the 2 ends of the start signal wire. Now, when the timer hits the programmed start time, the generator should receive the start signal and run. Then when the timer shuts off, the start signal will be broken and the generator will shut down. I'm not exactly sure if this is how our RV generators work, but it is how a commercial generator and ATS work. I've never tried it, and it is something that just went through my head........
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Our MH came with the EC30 and you cannot be spcific about what hours the generator is allowed to run.

I haven't looked into the Magnum.
Not true Sue...you are allowed to set the 'Quiet Time' on the EC30W which specifies when the generator is not allowed to auto start.
For the OP, I have never heard of an auto start on a specific time.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilabs View Post
Here's a thought, and follow me on this. Get one of those timers that will turn the lights on and off at certain times. Cut the plug end off of an old lamp or extension cord and plug it in to the timer. NOW, you will have to find the wires for your generator start signal. Splice the plug end from the extension cord between the 2 ends of the start signal wire. Now, when the timer hits the programmed start time, the generator should receive the start signal and run. Then when the timer shuts off, the start signal will be broken and the generator will shut down. I'm not exactly sure if this is how our RV generators work, but it is how a commercial generator and ATS work. I've never tried it, and it is something that just went through my head........
With the newer gensets it's not that simple. To start the generator you need to ground the start lead but only until the generator starts. If you leave the start circuit energized you will likely cause damage. To stop it you ground the stop lead until it stops. Also at least in the case of the gas fueled Onan's the AGS systems prime the genset before attempting to start. The AGS has all the logic to perform this.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
RV LIFE Support Team

Rich,

I could have worded that better. We understand quiet time but wang the geneator to start, if needed, at certain times during the day and end at certain times.

I think this is pie in the sky, we talked to Onan 3 years ago and there was no solution at that time and nothing seems to have progressed.

RV LIFE Support Team

Tags
generator