Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is there a way to test induction cooktop?

I have the True Induction cooktop in my mh. Lately it seems to be cooking slower than it seemed when first installed. I was wondering, since I know many others on this forum have the same cooktop, is there an accurate way to test the function of this cooktop? How fast should it boil 1 qt of water? I haven't measured it, but it doesn't seem to really give a rolling boil even after a long time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you using different pots & pans? The composition of the metal in the pan can make a huge difference in the heat transfer. The less magnetic the metal, the poorer (slower) it will heat.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Do you have an IR temp gun? If so check the temp using several pans at the same cook time. You can compare the burners also and see if the unit comes up to the set temp.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I discovered that if you use the TEMP mode instead of the HEAT mode the unit draws about 30% less current. So using the HEAT mode at 10 will heat fastest than 450 in the TEMP mode.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I always use heat mode on number 10 for fastest heating. I also use magma induction cookware, and I have always used them. Additionally I sent an email to true induction, and I will see what they reply.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Cbones".....I know of at least one person who said theirs wasn't working properly and had to have it repaired. I'm guessing you'll need to speak to the TruInduction people to get some type of test procedure or calibration numbers.

One quick test would be to set two pans on the cooktop, both with water and set one at 10 and then turn the other side on. The side set at 10, should be reduced by the number you set on the other side. So if it's set at 10 and you turn the other side to 2, the first side should drop to 8. This might give you an idea if the electronics are working.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
I have the True Induction cooktop in my mh. How fast should it boil 1 qt of water? I haven't measured it, but it doesn't seem to really give a rolling boil even after a long time.
This would depend on a lot of things if the unit is working properly. Altitude, type of pot you are using, temp inside the rig, temp of the water before adding to pot. many factors involved.
Mel
Old 09-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
One quick test would be to set two pans on the cooktop, both with water and set one at 10 and then turn the other side on. The side set at 10, should be reduced by the number you set on the other side. So if it's set at 10 and you turn the other side to 2, the first side should drop to 8. This might give you an idea if the electronics are working.
FYI - The max power on the True Induction when both sides are in use is "7". So a 7/3 split is what you'll get.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
FYI - The max power on the True Induction when both sides are in use is "7". So a 7/3 split is what you'll get.
Interesting I see 5/5 6/4 7/3 8/2 9/1.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Mine does the same.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Really? How long have you had yours? Maybe they changed it since we got ours, which was about 2 years ago.

joe
Old 09-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Yep - we bought ours in January 2014 and this is how it works.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think my point was missed. It doesn't matter what setting you use 6/4, 7/3, etc, but to check if that was even working. Do both burners come on and change as you add power or reduce. It was just a thought to see if the circuits are working.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This being one of my "Busy" days I will tell you how to do the research.

First: This is not for the faint of math.
Using the internet translate WATTS to BTU's and calculate how fast it SHOULD heat water.

Now.. You need a steel (Magnetic) pan something with LOW heat index (Use Interenet) NOT Cast iron which has a high heat index. The heat index is how much effort it takes to heat the pan and how much heat it holds.

now put a measured QUART of water in the pan, stick in a digital cooking thermometer and read the temp.. Fire that mother up and start a stop watch.. When the temp hits an arbituary point (Say 200) stop the watch

Now you can do the math to figure out how many watts hit the jar as it were. NOTE: it will not be 100% efficient. use this as a benchmark

NOTE: REad the voltage at the outlet (Plug in or pass through meter or Kill-a-Watt (use pass through) for this test... If your voltage is low it WILL COOK SLOWER.

Get someone else to do the same test, compare.. Keep your results as a baseline, if it starts cooking "Slower" re-do the test and compare.

Tags
test

« First coach | Tires »