Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there an RV manufactuer that promotes fulltiming?

We just picked up our new-to-us Class A RV and I started reading the owners manual. It has said no less than 4-5 times that the rig is not meant for living in fulltime (which is actually exactly what we intend to do). I assume a lot of it is warranty related based on the wording. Has anyone read their owners manual & if so, does it promote fulltiming? Just curious...

-tricia
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Mine says the same thing. I suspect it's for dodging warrantee issues, if need be.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine says the same and states that everything will wear out quickly if you do live in it continuously. I've seen some, my year, that have been lived in.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi geekyexplore,
This statement comes from the manufacturer's attorney. The repercussions depend on what state one resides in. The statement prevents an owner declaring (for warranty and other legal ramifications) the coach is their "house". The manufacturers state they build recreational vehicles, to be used for recreational purposes.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks... it sounded very 'legal' and came around items that I would assume have warranty issues around it. I just found it a little odd. Glad it is not just a Fleetwood Pace Arrow thing. :-)

-tricia
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #6

Funny how that works as you can claim the loan interest on your taxes because it (RV) is considered a second residence. But then again it might wear out quickly...LOL
markndeb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markndeb1970 View Post
Funny how that works as you can claim the loan interest on your taxes because it (RV) is considered a second residence. But then again it might wear out quickly...LOL
The key word is "second". Most things will hold up pretty well in the RV. The couch seems to take most of the beating unless it is of high quality.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It's very simple and a matter of state and federal law. If the manufacturer ever stated that people could live in it full time, the RV would have to comply to the Manufactured Home building code (aka HUD code) rather than the much looser Recreational Vehicle standards.

Numerous exceptions to the Manufactured Housing code requirements are justified based on the recreational (i.e. part time) nature of an RV. If they ever stated otherwise, they would not be allowed to sell RVs until they complied with the stiffer codes. Some very obvious differences are waste systems (no holding tanks), hurricane safety tie downs to be attached at every campsite, much better floor, roof & sidewall insulation, and so on. Some of the differences would be well received, but the price would also go up substantially.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyexplore View Post
We just picked up our new-to-us Class A RV and I started reading the owners manual. It has said no less than 4-5 times that the rig is not meant for living in fulltime (which is actually exactly what we intend to do). I assume a lot of it is warranty related based on the wording. Has anyone read their owners manual & if so, does it promote fulltiming? Just curious...

-tricia
Basically, that is 'legalize' to get out of the warranty for a heavily used RV. If they RV is cheaply made, it will break much more often with heavy usage.

There are several 'upscale' 5th-wheel manufactures that cater to full-timers and build rigs for their needs. Brands such as NuWa, Excel, Carriage and Mobile Suites come to mind. I am sure there are others that I can not think of at the moment.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's very simple and a matter of state and federal law. If the manufacturer ever stated that people could live in it full time, the RV would have to comply to the Manufactured Home building code (aka HUD code) rather than the much looser Recreational Vehicle standards...
Gary has it exactly right. I worked for just over 30 years in the auto claim department of State Farm insurance. An RV is covered by a RV policy, within our auto insurance company, a mobile home would be covered under a home owners policy. Where people ran into trouble is if they 'permanently' located their RV, with no intention of ever moving it. I reported many such situations to our underwriting department and the policy would quickly be cancelled (we'd have to pay the claim reported, but would get off the risk immediately thereafter). In my case, I would be fairly liberal in my interpretation. If the rig was intact (I saw one, as example, where the owner had actually taken a torch and cut off the 'A' frame - hitch portion of the TT frame, so as to make more room on his site), and it looked like I could, if need be, have it off the site in 20 - 30 minutes, I'd consider it as still 'mobile'. On the other hand, I saw many that had permanently attached rooms, decks, or whatever. The RV was essencially being used as a pre-fab residence, there was no way it could ever be moved, or if it could, it would take days of work to get it off the site.

Insurance companies are very strictly regulated and their filing with the state department of insurance defines what can or can not be covered under any particular policy form, using commonly accepted legal definitions of an auto, home or RV (again, refer to Gary's post). If it did not meet that definition it did not qualify for coverage. No company is going to risk its license to do business, knowingly. A problem exists when the agent is not well educated on the legal distinctions and policy requirements, or when an agent is knowingly willing to 'bend' the rules to get an otherwise good customer coverage, or when a customer's use changes from when the policy was first purchased (originally used it to travel, eventually parked it on a 'permanent' site, without telling the insurance company of the change in use).

Here in WI, if we'd written a policy on the 'RV' that really didn't qualify, and it suffered say, a hail loss, we'd cover it, assuming the error was on us, but you'd lose your coverage after that. As Gary explains, built to RV specs, not meeting home building codes, it does not qualify for a homeowners policy, and no longer being 'mobile', it no longer qualifies for coverage on an auto policy either.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I guess I never thought of adding a 'structure' to an RV so I can see how for insurance purposes not having it mobile would fit it into another housing category, and how the manufacturer would not want to take on that liability.

edj- we actually looked at a Nu-Wa and other 5th wheels but in order to tow properly we would have had to buy a new truck, along with a new 5th wheel putting us far over what we spent on our Class A.

-tricia
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyexplore View Post
edj- we actually looked at a Nu-Wa and other 5th wheels but in order to tow properly we would have had to buy a new truck, along with a new 5th wheel putting us far over what we spent on our Class A.

-tricia
The 'budget' definitely has a big impact on what type and model RV one purchases. In most RV's all the major components (stove/fridge/furnace/AC/etc) are from the same vendors. The difference comes the RV design and how it is built. Good luck on your travels....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote