Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Sorry I guess my sarcasm didn't come across, just makes me laugh when people say you don't need this or that for the RV. The whole RV falls under that category, its definitely not an investment, its something I pay money for to get enjoyment out of. Just not sure why people find the need to jump into threads and ding those of us that pay for some extra for a piece of equipment they don't want to spend money on.

The Sanicon is something I payed money for to increase my enjoyment of RVing, just like the rest of the RV it's not needed. One of its "features" is that you don't need to disconnect it and handling and storage is easier due to the smaller self collapsing hose and small cap to seal it up. The other aspects are nice too when you need them, such as pumping uphill or long distance, both of which I have used on rare occasions at campgrounds and all the time when dumping at home.
And i hope i didn't come across as saying Sanicon/Flowjet wasn't needed or that it didn't make life easier. For us, it's something we aren't in need of at this point in our RV life. It's one of those devices that, until this thread pretty much, i had never heard of.

I almost posted to this thread early on because i thought the OP was asking about somehow stowing his 3 inch hose without unhooking it. After reading the thread though, that doesn't sound like what was wanted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #30

I don't disconnect my hose either. I remove the threaded connector from the elbow, collapse the hose, and use the black cap that came with it. I carry 20 ft. Of hose, and a 10 ft. Extension to use if needed.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #31

Well,

I guess if any form of macerator (no matter what name or brand or type) is used, and it makes the owner/user happy while camping, then have a ball with it. I kind-a look at it this way. The grey and black tanks hold some nasty stuff. The simplest form and way of getting rid of both is the standard 3" hose and various couplings and downspout. While most of those hoses, couplings and ends are pretty dependable and stout, they do, occasionally, spring a slight leak. But, it's basically gravity that's pushing and creating any pressure in that hose, while "things" are flowing. So, any leaks that could/would happen, would be basically seeping.

But, if you add a motor/pump to the equation, now you've got even more pressure in that hose. And, if you "spring" a leak then, I would think you've got more potential for a larger mess than you would with normal gravity on a 3" hose. And, not only that but, now you're depending on a motor, a pump, and 12V, to get rid of waste. Where as before, all you depended on was gravity.

Of all the places we've camped and stayed at, we've never encountered an uphill waste inlet. That doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means we've not seen or had to deal with any. And, as for a greater distance than the norm, I have 30' of 3" (a 10' standard for about 95% of our camping spots and, a 20' add-on for those times when greater length is needed) hose.

I can't really see a problem with disconnecting either but, again, that's me and my opinion. In fact, many times I don't disconnect my 3" in my compartment. Especially if we're traveling from spot to spot. I just dump, using the method of black first then gray and then, when done, simply pick/ hold up the hose on the way to the end so that all waste is gone.

Then, I tuck it all neatly in the compartment, ready for the next camp spot. This is one of those things that, it's an option (the motors/pumps) like any other option that changes an operation. If it appeals to you, go for it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #32

Here is my 20' of sewer hose that I never disconnect, I have a 50' extension hose if needed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	135228

I am sure it wouldn't be fun if the macerator had an issue, but so far it has worked great. I can still unhook and use the 3" if necessary, never have since installing it.

I think its pretty obvious a macerator is more complicated than the 3" slinky, I think its also obvious its more convenient than the 3" slinky. Just like everything else that adds complication to the motorhome they tend to have some convenience factor that one must weigh if the cost and potential for issues are worth it. After having used a 3" slinky and then the macerator I definitely think its worth it, but it nice to have options isn't it?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #33

Quote:
In fact, many times I don't disconnect my 3" in my compartment. Especially if we're traveling from spot to spot. I just dump, using the method of black first then gray and then, when done, simply pick/ hold up the hose on the way to the end so that all waste is gone.
For the last 13 years, i've never disconnected (except to replace it a time or two) the 3 inch hose. Open compartment, stretch hose to drain, dump black first, then gray, add a couple or three gallons back into the hose for a quick rinse, then let it drain a second time. Put the hose back into the compartment, wash hands, close compartment.

May be wrong but i'm thinking the macerator would be good for those times when an RV is parked with sewer in place for a longer stay. With it in place, a person would not have to go out every few days to manually dump the black tank. Also, there's no doubt it's nice only having to deal with the smaller diameter hose.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #34
WDW

There is also a design issue that dictates the value - not all A's have such drop down compartments. We have two sets of tanks and the middle set are a PITA to fish the hose up through the passage and hook up. I installed a 2' pigtail and drop that through then hook up my main hose. However the passage is too close to the connection and that makes it easy to pinch my pigtail and put a hole in it. Yep, replaced it once this summer already.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
We always hear that you dhoukd at least have 3/4 full tanks before draning so you have a faster water flowto flush out more solides.

It seems like these sewer pumps wilk have a much slower flow and mire material will settle on the tank floor and not get flushed out.

Is this a problem?

Dan
Yes, it is. I rarely use the Sanicon because the flow rate is too slow to keep the solids suspended.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #36

Looks like the discussion has drifted to the Sanicon pros and cons. Personally I prefer the Sewer Solution when at home and when possible on the road.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach has a hinged drop-down storage tray directly under the wet bay for hose storage. I haven't seen another set up quite like this. I have actually been disconnecting and storing the hose in a storage drawer rather than leaving it hooked up to prevent the possibility of rodents finding their way inside. I've seen a couple of ideas here recently on how to seal up the opening around the hose so I may look into one of those.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote