Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Is there anyone not having major problems?

To read through this website would scare most people who have neither the knowledge nor feel the joy in fixing and modifying their motorhome.

I know we primarily only hear from people when there is a problem. I would appreciate hearing from people if they do not have any problems that could not be taken care of by someone not mechanically or electrically inclined.

In other words, which coaches and owners are basically trouble free, other than minor issues which can be fixed by nearly anyone fairly quickly? I'm not talking about new tires or any kind of normal maintenance. And maybe you've only had one major problem over several years. That would be comforting to know, as well.

It would sure make me feel better to know these owners exist!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

Me! But our coach is in winter storage.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We bought our Bounder new in 2006. I guess we were lucky. Nothing Fleetwood assembled has been a problem. The issues we've had over 12 seasons were all failures with parts/appliances mfr'd by someone else. Fleetwood just installed the stuff. We've replaced:
  • Half-dozen awning locks (Carefree)
  • The back up camera system - twice (both were Weldex)
  • The bedroom slide motor (Power Gear)
  • The washer control board & surge guard (Spendide)
  • The step motor (Kwikee)
  • A jack (Atwood)

I really don't think any RV (or any mechanical item) is trouble free. Less trouble, yes; but trouble free, no.

There is something to be said for the members who post they buy used so the prior owner will have fixed the vast majority of the issues. Something to think about, but there will always be something to fix....eventually. But don't let it discourage you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

Is there anyone not having major problems?

I’ve owned a 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8321LX for two years now can’t say it’s been without some issues but not major just normal maintenance and a few upgrades to suite myself and DW it runs great rides far for 13 plus years 90000 miles all equipment works as it should air dash roof gen refrigerator water pump electrical again any vehicle requires maintenance you will see other post with about the same comments
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Hope this does not jinx me. I bought a 2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3 years ago. My alternator went out on the way from Houston to Freightliner CCC in Gaffney SC. I just fired up the generator to keep the batts up. Since I was there for service and Camp Freightliner I had them put in the new alternator. Other than that zero problems.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

I've never owned a new a new coach so I can't comment on their reliability . With a 25 year old coach , almost everything that breaks is a maintenance item. A motorhome is a complicated piece of equipment with many different systems operating together. With it being bounced and shaken on the highways , it is just a matter of time before you will have some type of problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I do think it will be interesting to see how many members who bought new with few issues are those with older vs late model RV's. I want to think, even though there were some problems, the ones built during what I'd call "the golden years" (early-mid 2000's) may have stood the best chance of fewer problems.

After the economy crash, when Fleetwood went bankrupt, they lost a lot of equipment & highly talented/seasoned employees at the factories. I do think, even 10 years later, they're still trying to climb their way out of that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Had a slide problem on our 2012 C but was fixed under extended warranty. Other than that a few minor issues with the house. Nothing worth writing about.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2017, born on date of Aug, 2016. Got it with 400 miles on it, factory to dealer miles. Now has 14,000 miles. Been back to the factory for a slide adjustment, a new bedroom shade, and a couple little tweaks. Of course this was warranty work so I was being a little picky. Probably could have done it myself. But honestly, NO major problems. (wood knock knock)

What you’ll find on these forums are a lot of people that are DIY, are asking questions for a better understanding of their issue before they take it in so they’re intelligent and don’t get ripped off, or just want to converse about their rig.

That leads to the appearance that everyone on here has a MH and has nothing but problems. Granted, some are blessed with junkers, but I think most enjoy their rig and are loving the lifestyle. I know we do. Safe travels!!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
With mine I have VERY few problems because I built it with simplicity in mind.
No radio
No TV
No Stovetop (microwave only)
small 4.5Cu ft 110Volt fridge
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My Kountry Star is nearly 13 years old now, and I’ve owned it for the past seven. The most costly repair I’ve had to do is replace a busted power steering hose. Everything else has been routine maintenance. The original owner had no major issues with it either. I’m very pleased with this coach.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #12

Bought a 14 year old coach around 4 years ago. Nothing major, new fan motor for one of the ac units. Generator has given me a little grief, new muffler and starter for it.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #13

Probably 35% quality control and NOT making them all exactly alike so that we could ALL fix the exact same kinds of issues and definitely 65% the HIDEOUS roads we are forced to drive over and on lending to the above almost not mattering unless they were only made from steel tubes and cement.
Think of how an airliner is actually made and peruse how on earth it even makes it off the runway and for how many thousands of miles they are kept in service......
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYtraveler View Post
Me! But our coach is in winter storage.

Made me bust out laughing! That about sums it up.

RVing is an adventure and you'll work your way through any problems that crop up...20 years in the Air Force tells me you are pretty self-reliant and can handle anything that comes along.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems