Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #1

Is there such a thing as a "maintenance free" wet cell battery?

my chassis 8d battery is shot - although equalized to holding 13.5v voltage pretty well, just not enough to start the engine. called around, one of the retailers told me they have a 12v american eagle "maintenance free" lead acid 8d for $229 and another regular one for $210. i have never heard of so called "maintenance free" wet cell battery (besides agm, and gel?). has anyone else heard of it? i am wondering if so where the gas goes when charging.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many of your batteries are maintenance free. They just seal up the top so there's no access. My previous coach had Interstate starting batteries that were maintenance free. I could see an outline of battery cap covers under the label. I slit the label with a razor and found that it had removable caps which I occasionally added water to and hopefully extended the battery life.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Many of your batteries are maintenance free. They just seal up the top so there's no access. My previous coach had Interstate starting batteries that were maintenance free. I could see an outline of battery cap covers under the label. I slit the label with a razor and found that it had removable caps which I occasionally added water to and hopefully extended the battery life.
You are correct in thinking that there are no such thing as maint. free lead acid batts. they just hope you won't look and will have to replace them after are just before the warranty runs out because they are pro rated and the will still make money.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While you're checking the water levels in each cell (you can install a watering system if you really want to), you should also be looking at the terminals for tightness and corrosion problems. Just like checking your oil this is a preventative maint task.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

Batteries labelled as maintenance free are designed for short cycles (aka starting only). The manufacturer adds a little water above the plates to account for loss over the 5-8 year expected life. They'll do fine with modern alternators that adjust charge voltage based on temperature. Some even have a sight glass with a built in hygrometer to tell you when to replace it. If you are in the habbit of accidentally discharging the starting battery, get one with caps instead.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

thanks all. i thought the same that a wet cell battery will require some sort of maintenance, no matter what they say as the chemical reaction determines the gassing so in need of water to compensate. i have a solar system in place it had been charged whole year long, but it still only last for 5 years. i think i will go with a regular battery... thank you again.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

No such thing as maintenance free battery of any kind...

The type of maintenance varies dependent on the type of battery to get optimum life.

Anything with liquid inside needs the level checked and adjusted while those without (agm/vrla) need to have operating parameters checked (all types need this)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

You may want to check with Sam's Club. Last time I checked their price on 8d's, they were about $186.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Sams is the worst place for 8d.

They do not sell many so they are old.

When we went to get ours the ones at sams were the 1200 or 1400 cca model and maybe 150 at that time and date code a year old.

Being cheap we checked first...

Called a local mom and pop battery dealer who does not stock them and got fresh ones dated month after sale with 1700 cca for 20 bucks less each.

So check the date codes, cca and price then check the yellow pages...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

thank you all... i thought the same the la battery chemical reaction determines the gassing process thus more or less water is needed to compensate. i'll check around, if i can get one around $180 that would make me a happy day
Old 03-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is such a thing as a no maintenance battery. Battery builders use antimoni (my spelling may be incorrect) to stiffen the plates in a battery. This antimoni causes the plates to heat up and distill the water from the battery. The maintenance free batteries have low antimoni plates. This is supposed to keep from losing water and so they are sealed. They do lose a little water and so they usually DO NOT last as long as a normal battery.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
There is such a thing as a no maintenance battery. Battery builders use antimoni (my spelling may be incorrect) to stiffen the plates in a battery. This antimoni causes the plates to heat up and distill the water from the battery. The maintenance free batteries have low antimoni plates. This is supposed to keep from losing water and so they are sealed. They do lose a little water and so they usually DO NOT last as long as a normal battery.
i had to look this one up... antimoni... correct spelling... learning new things
Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
For those who think you can't get a good battery, I have a Battery that I built for my 1978 Argosy motorhome. I bought the motorhome in 1987 and installed the battery in the argosy in April of 1987. I used it in the 78 Argosy and the 1985 Airstream 345 motorhome. I then moved it to my 1995 31 ft airstream motorhome. In 2007 I removed it from the 95 Airstream when I sold the Airstream. I still have it in my storage house and use it in case of a emergency. I did not us it in my Pace Arrow because it was over twenty years old and I didn't want to get out in the middle of nowhere and have a thermal runaway. I always used it as a chassis battery. Why did it last so long? because it is a Ni-Cad and not a lead acid.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flooded wet cell: You add distilled water as needed Battery must be mounted "This side up"

Maintenance Free wet cell: Most all the batteries at the Auto Department/parts store/Battery store shelf these days Battery must be mounted THIS SIDE UP

AGM: a sub set of maintenance free where there is very little WET (Yoj might call it a "Moist cell" approved for airline travel. may be mounted without regard to "THIS SIDE UP"

Gel An older battery type that like AGM need not be mounted "This side up" But which is also NOT approved for airline travel due to a higher moisture content. Also not recommended for RV use

Optima.. Sprial wound AGM 1/3 the capacity per unit volume.

Tags
maintenance, battery