Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Look at the date code on the batteries. If the house batteries are over 5 to 7 years old you will be replacing them soon, probably at the worst possible time. Don't believe it when they say 6 volt batteries last 10 years! I would replace the starting batteries at 4 years. I replaced all 6 of mine for about $750. I got the 6V ones from Costco and they have been great.
Actually then can and do! Our OEM Interstate U-2200's lasted one month short of 10 years and actually were still pretty good. We were headed out on a trip and I didn't want to have trouble on the road. The two 1000 CCA starting batteries were replaced only a couple months before the house batteries.
I did put 4 oz of moneral oil in each cell of the U-2200's, helped cut down on water usage and corrosion in the battery area.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mineral Oil

Mine had to be replaced within a few months of us buying the Bounder. When I checked the dates on the ones I took out they were a year older than the build date of the coach. So indeed they were about 7 years old. The starting batteries failed even sooner.

Mineral oil? I'm interested. What kind of mineral oil did you use and where did you get it? I've read quite a few posts that say not to use drugstore oil, other that say it's fine, others that say mineral oil will make your batteries last forever, and some that say it will ruin them. Who you gonna believe?

I don't mind adding water. But the corrosion is starting to just plain piss me off! I have to scrape it off and spray with battery protector much more often than I think reasonable. The new battery retainer clips I coated with plastic are already starting to fall apart, and the little suckers were not easy to find!

Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by milligsc View Post
Thanks for your comments Mr.D it appears that you have been doing this for a while. My current tires on my 34' gasser are 8 years old also and appear to be fine. I'll change the tires on the new rig at 8 years or so also. I suppose the fronts are more important than the rears due to the redundancy of having 4 back there.
Guess I'm a little late to the party, too. Don't mess around with tires that old. I've seen the damage a blowout will do to your rig (not my rig, thankfully.)
2014 Entegra Cornerstone 45K, Spartan K3 Chassis,
Cummins ISX 600HP, Allison 4000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
I have also used oil in my batteries and it mostly eliminated that caustic cloud of rust causing gas in the bat compartment. The product is called battery demister. Now it may simply be common oil colored red but it worked well. I used to work for a company thet sold electric scissor lifts and many customers used this because when you dont add water and expose the plates in the bat that section is dead. I add water much less frequently with the oil in there. I have no association with this company by the way.

Thermoil.com - Up to 3 times Longer Battery Life! Guaranteed.

milligsc is offline   Reply With Quote