Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #15

I am Friends with someone that sells MH for a living. He informed me without any negoiation you can take 25 % off any new MSRP.

It is very good advice to look for a gently used unit 1 or 2 years old, you will get a much higher end unit with the money you have to spend.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Personally if I had 100K in my hand I would look for a used (3-5 years old) motor-home with a little bit of a hight trim level.
Totally agree. I'd feel sick driving off in a new one - even at 20-30% off MSRP. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

Look, a new RV is going to have issues. It's not like a new car. Buying one that has already gone through shake-down is advantageous and if you're really worried about the "Warranty" sales pitch - then get an aftermarket warranty.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Used is the way to go. Unless you have money to burn. You'd be burning it if you purchase new. Motorhome depreciation is horrable. I know you want a nice coach and there are many nice used ones out there. Although someone has to buy them new in order for us to have used ones. Just my $.02
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
You'll get a lot of opinions here. You're getting about 20% off MSRP and that (to me) sounds low. I think 30% is fairly common. I'm not sure how motivated they can be on a 2013 model. There are probably still a lot of 2012 models sitting around on dealer lots.

Here's one that's $76,000 and it's new:

2012 New Newmar Baystar Sport 3310 at Terry Labonte RV Serving Greensboro, NC, IID 8408944

Just me, but I'd look for at least a year older. You're going to take an immediate BIG hit just driving a new one off the lot.
I agree with topdownman ... are there any big differences between the 2013 and the 2012 in the link? With a 24K price difference (with where you are now with the 2013) - that buys a lot of fuel, trips and fun ... even if you have to fly out to this one and drive it back.

Then again, taking the wisdom of some other posters, you can get into a nice, low mileage, 3 to 4 year old coach - likely with more features - and still have $25-$30K to spend on fuel, trips and fun.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Fan View Post
Used is the way to go. Unless you have money to burn. You'd be burning it if you purchase new. Motorhome depreciation is horrable. I know you want a nice coach and there are many nice used ones out there. Although someone has to buy them new in order for us to have used ones. Just my $.02
So I'll finish my story: Turned the new Georgetown coach purchase down for $89,000 and 50 some coaches later, bought a used 2002 DP with every receipt the previous owners put into it including all the extra goodies, new Michelins, paint, etc. for $30,000 less. Now like Bama Fan, I got everything and more plus an extra $30,000 ...and let someone else take the depreciation hit
Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #20

We bought a new 13 Baystar last July, and got a better deal, then they are offering you now. The 2013 models are a year old now as 14 models are all that is being made at Newmar now. Our rig has been trouble free except for a few minor issues which which I fixed all myself except two. I would offer them 30% off list which is right at 90K. Would pay no more the 25% off which is 95K in round numbers. This is a year old model so why take the big hit already. They may bite on the 90K deal. Offer it and walk away. Take the 95K as a last resort and top dollar. You will be driving it home I would bet.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Actually, dealers can make a significant profit on financing, so know that "cash", while still "king", doesn't always mean they're falling all over each other to quickly finish the paperwork. Having said that, ANY deal right now is a good deal to the dealer, because as pretty as these things are, there NO GOOD to the dealer, because there's always another one they can pick up to sit in it's place.

Often times, the best way to get discounts from the seller is by saying less, as opposed to more. Up front I'd tell them that I'm ready to buy "right now", but not comfortable with their price. Let them know that you hate the "negotiating process", and that they have one good shot to give you their BEST price. Tell them you understand that they're in business of making profit, however, you've spent a lot of time researching these coaches and you're very well aware of what is considered a "good buy". Most often, you'll get them to discount their unit up front. AND THEN, I'd still look at the $$$, regardless of how cheap you think it is, and shake my head as if in disgust. Remember this, they believe that the 1st person to speak at this time "loses", so if the salesman is quick to say anything, then you know there's room left. If they allow you to stand up as if to leave, odds are you've gotten their best deal. Keep in mind through this, however, the use of words like "most times", "often", "usually". Notice I never said "always". Good luck, and the BEST deal is one that you're happy with.....period.

This!!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Jack1234 is on the money. Tucson is the place to see hundreds of gently used motor home and they will deal.

Also, there is a great Freightliner business there, if you purchase a MH on a FL chassis.

Good luck, Kerry
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Totally agree. I'd feel sick driving off in a new one - even at 20-30% off MSRP. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

Look, a new RV is going to have issues. It's not like a new car. Buying one that has already gone through shake-down is advantageous and if you're really worried about the "Warranty" sales pitch - then get an aftermarket warranty.
While I agree with all of the above, it does need to be pointed out that if some didn't buy new once in awhile, there wouldn't be any used to purchase.
Also, the selection of used tends to be a bit more sparse north of the 48th. Buying used while in principle is a good thing, often translates into a 10-12 year old coach up here. Not the 4-5 year variety. While the latter are available, there seems to be much less turnover of coaches than in the US. It seems when we buy em, we keep em for a long time. That is one of the reasons, so many of us snowbirds end up looking south to buy rigs. The prices and selections are way broader and usually better provided you are prepared to jump through the hoops of importing.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not see any comments by the original poster.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Look into importing from the states. I have several friends who did and all saved at least a couple of grand after all was said and done. In most cases bring a vehicle in from the USA id easier than trying to bring in a vehicle from another province. The unit my wife and I drive was imported by the previous owner out of Eugene Oregon (RV Corral) and we benefited from the lower price he paid when we bought from the importer.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #26

thank you for taking the time to reply and I appreciate your comments, I will probably offer 30% off MRSP and see what happens. I'm not 100% clear when you say you don't know how motivated they would be on 2013's, do you mean they'd be more inclined to negotiate first on 2012's?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #27

Yes, I agree and follow what you are saying and thank you for taking the time and effort. The problem here is a total lack of inventory for a Class A with bunks, I have spent hours physically kicking tires at the few dealers and at all listings on the net
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #28

Yes, 2013 models are current year. If they still have 2012 models on the lot they are going to deeply discount those. They have already been hit by first-year depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
thank you for taking the time to reply and I appreciate your comments, I will probably offer 30% off MRSP and see what happens. I'm not 100% clear when you say you don't know how motivated they would be on 2013's, do you mean they'd be more inclined to negotiate first on 2012's?

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote