Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Is this a good first time buy

Thanks for all the previous help steering me between "dealer or manufacturer"- now I am ready to actually make an offer and would appreciate any advice out there as I am a newbie:
We are looking at a 2013 Newmar Bay Star 3310 Sport (bunkhouse model) brand new that has been sitting on the dealer's lot for awhile. They tell us they are 'motivated' and are asking $99,999 on a MRSP of $126,000 approx. We would be paying cash to them ( no trade in, no financing). I have spent many hours looking at ones on the net for sale ( not sure how to allow for the fact a lot are in the USA and I am in Alberta, Canada) and it seems this is a good price. I don't want to haggle the dealer too much as it is their reputation and service that is clinching the deal, and I will be using their expertise quite a bit (they have even offerred to give my wife and I a few driving lessons on this 33.10 foot rig). I have read that if its a clean deal to the dealer that there is more room to barter, but I wonder if their price is already reduced, I have also read that if they won't budge on price then a good counter is to ask for additional warranty ( this one has the standard 1 year warranty). Any and all comments appreciated as I move to close.

Tisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

You'll get a lot of opinions here. You're getting about 20% off MSRP and that (to me) sounds low. I think 30% is fairly common. I'm not sure how motivated they can be on a 2013 model. There are probably still a lot of 2012 models sitting around on dealer lots.

Here's one that's $76,000 and it's new:

2012 New Newmar Baystar Sport 3310 at Terry Labonte RV Serving Greensboro, NC, IID 8408944

Just me, but I'd look for at least a year older. You're going to take an immediate BIG hit just driving a new one off the lot.

Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
For most people, this is the second largest purchase you'll make. We were at the Spokane RV show last year and almost bought a 33 Georgetown. Full body paint and all the goodies for $89,000. It was marked down from MSRP of $126,000. If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted a DP we would have probably purchased it. So, I would ask for the extended warranty as a part of the deal. I'm not so sure their $100,000 price is their bottom line. Just my .02 worth!!
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It can't hurt to ask for a lower price or extended warranty. If they go for it, good. If they don't...no harm done. They won't run you off the lot.

You could always start looking other places, however a bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush. If you really like that RV buy it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually, dealers can make a significant profit on financing, so know that "cash", while still "king", doesn't always mean they're falling all over each other to quickly finish the paperwork. Having said that, ANY deal right now is a good deal to the dealer, because as pretty as these things are, there NO GOOD to the dealer, because there's always another one they can pick up to sit in it's place.

Often times, the best way to get discounts from the seller is by saying less, as opposed to more. Up front I'd tell them that I'm ready to buy "right now", but not comfortable with their price. Let them know that you hate the "negotiating process", and that they have one good shot to give you their BEST price. Tell them you understand that they're in business of making profit, however, you've spent a lot of time researching these coaches and you're very well aware of what is considered a "good buy". Most often, you'll get them to discount their unit up front. AND THEN, I'd still look at the $$$, regardless of how cheap you think it is, and shake my head as if in disgust. Remember this, they believe that the 1st person to speak at this time "loses", so if the salesman is quick to say anything, then you know there's room left. If they allow you to stand up as if to leave, odds are you've gotten their best deal. Keep in mind through this, however, the use of words like "most times", "often", "usually". Notice I never said "always". Good luck, and the BEST deal is one that you're happy with.....period.
Eric, Melanie and little Maddie, 15lbs of Malti-poo energy
1984 Southwind Eagle I (she might be old but she's capable)
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally if I had 100K in my hand I would look for a used (3-5 years old) motor-home with a little bit of a hight trim level.

Maybe a used Canyon Star is you like Newmar's
Gene & Ginger 04 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Workhorse, 11 Subaru Forester (Toad), Blue Ox Aladdin, BrakeBuddy, ScanGaugeII, BatteryMINDer, KONI FSD's
Gene's Pictures Ginger's Pictures Gene's Videos
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
I also agree. You are paying cash thus have the advantage. Settle for no less that 25% off MSRP
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
If I had a 100K even in Canadian dollars there is no way I would be buying a new anything. Put about 30K in your pocket and buy a used unit. Remember driving that new coach off the dealers lot you will instantly loose about 30K.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
It seems to me that you have decided upon the coach you want, the dealer you want to buy from, and are now trying to figure out a fair price for a new unit. In the US a good rule of thumb is 25% off list. On my last visit to your fair country I noticed things I was familiar with were more expensive than what I find here in the US. Therefore it's entirely possible that RV's are a little higher too. I'd shoot for the 25% and if not that then the warranty, and if not that then a satellite antenna, tow bar, etc.. You get the idea.

Again, good luck with your decision. It sounds like you are getting close now and it must be very exciting. Once you get that baby home and start having fun the difference between 20%, 22%, and 25% won't even matter. Just imagine, all that beautiful country up there that you have at your disposal and everywhere you go you will be "home".
Bob Adams
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp Allison Xantrex RS2000 Onan Aqua Hot CRV
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
The other thing about buying used is I read a lot of threads about people buying new, then camping out at the mfg for two months while they fix all the stuff that doesnt work right. Buying new doesnt appear to mean trouble free. If you get one a few years old, all the bugs will be worked out and you save 30- 50 %. You can still buy a warantee from an aftermarket firm as I have read many times. You will lose big bucks the second you drive off the lot.
2000 winne 37g
winniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Originally Posted by radams
It seems to me that you have decided upon the coach you want, the dealer you want to buy from, and are now trying to figure out a fair price for a new unit. In the US a good rule of thumb is 25% off list. On my last visit to your fair country I noticed things I was familiar with were more expensive than what I find here in the US. Therefore it's entirely possible that RV's are a little higher
I agree.... if you are committed to this course, I think you should be able to do a bit better on the price....and enjoy.

However, if you're still open to advice....as a Canadian (myself) I would urge you to grab your golf clubs & a cheap flight to Phoenix...rent a car a spend the day driving up & down main street in Mesa & Apache Trail.... this will really open your eyes to what 100k will get you in the gently Used market!

Good luck.
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tisha,
1. Ask the sales person if financing the coach will get you a better price. How long must the financing be kept to obtain the better price? If it makes you a better total deal, you can pay off the loan after the minimum number of months.
2. Tell them you are ready to buy but need some additional consideration on the price. Know the price you are comfortable with. Have your deposit ready.
3. Have the sales person write the deal the way you want it. 30-35% off MSRP on a clean/cash deal is not uncommon.
5 The deal should allow the dealer 24 hours to make a decision. If no or no decision, your deposit is void and is to be returned. You can always stop payment on the check.

Welcome to the Newmar family.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
As you can see, you have received much good information. It is still a buyers market and with your cash any dealer would be motivated to "deal" with you. Personally I would thank them for their time and state that you are going to look further at a better price. I'll wager you they won't let you out the door.
Have your top dollar set in your mind. Include things like title, tax and license, full tanks,gas and propane and even an extended warranty. ( those prices are all over the board)
Good luck I am sue on your first purchase you will learn much.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Last motorhome we purchased was from the states. Even a new motorhome is considered used if it has at least 2000 miles on her. Not as much trouble as one would think bringing one across the border as long as you have all the correct paperwork with you. (bill of sale and title has to be at US border crossing at least 72 hours before you cross). Agree with all that you may get a better price looking around a bit. Bottem line is something is worth what some one else is willing to pay for it. Start low because the price will only go up. Start at least 35% less than MSRP and leave your number. See how motivated they are.

Stephen and Barb
Sasha and Bear 1999 Dolphin 5371
F53 with 96 Grand Cherokee toad
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote