Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Is this motorhome a decent value?

Any opinions appreciated. good and bad. Thanks

maintenance papers available
full paint, no damage
tow package
Front tires near new, rears good.
roof and ceiling have no issues
gen in good condition, used periodically yearly
accepting reasonable offers

Castanet Classifieds - 32' Gulfstream Sun Clipper.
nubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Does it start, run and shift and stop without any obvious issues? I have been looking at older RV's for our kids to use. I think it looks like great deal...Best of luck.. D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #3

Sounds like it may be worth that, looks like the owner has taken care of it. But as you are aware it is soon to be 22 years old, so it's really a crap shoot as to what will need repaired in the near future. You also need to look at the roof, and inside for any evidence of water damage(look inside the cabinets and closet, and closely around windows), and make sure everything works. Due to it's age IMHO it just would not be worth a bunch of major repair, unless you are a DIYer and need a project.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder what the year is.
It looks pretty decent, but I would be concerned about what the ad doesn't say. Like: how many actual miles and condition of the furnace, water heater, range & oven. generator, roof A/C as well as water pump and holding tanks.
Lots of questions to ask.
It may be a great price, depending on the year and it looks great cosmetically, but ................. the ad doesn't touch on much of the really important stuff.
Just my opinion.
gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry. I guess I missed the first sentence of the ad. 1990.
We bought a 1975 Minnie Winnie which I am still working on. It only has 49k miles on it but, other than the drive train, it needs almost everything repaired or replaced.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Based on the pictures it looks nice. Price is probably fair if everything is in working order.

I think the ad also gives an indication that each year you will have maintenance issues with things that have reached the end of their usable life. Engine, brakes have been replaced, however there are a lot more wear items that will probably need to be replaced.

Since the new owner will probably use it much more frequently than the old owner the list of repairs and items that wear out will probably accelerate.

Just my $0.02 worth.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Some where between 8 and 9k would be a good price. At 12+ hopefully you won't have to spend much more on repairs.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #8

I owned a 1994 national dolphin for one year. It had the original 454 and trans with 75000 miles on it. When I bought it everything worked. All I did other than normal maintenance was get in and drive it for a year. The only reason. I sold it Was that we wanted a pusher and slides but it was a great starter! I gave 10k for it and sold it for 10k. It was our first unit and I would do it all over again.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'd want to know why were the engine and transmission replaced. How much mileage was on the coach before the engine was replaced? That should give you the total mileage on the frame/body.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #10

here's some info for some of the questions that have popped up. new engine at 90k, new trans about 100k. 115k total

All operating systems are in good working order.

Roof maintained annually, no stains or damage of any kind to the ceiling.

I'm thinking the only items that might need addressing are the suspension components? I asked what he might do if he were preparing for a long trip. His answer was maybe a wheel alignment. The tires he just changed on the front had minor irregular wear.
nubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
For what it's worth, here's the NADA Guide website:

1990 Gulf Stream SUN CLIPPER Series M-8322 - 32' Special Notes, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

It does not give any accounting for mileage. 115,000 miles on an American-made truck chassis is a lot, but it looks like you might not have a good deal at hand.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
For what it's worth-- 4 years ago we bought our '87 31' CruiseAir III. (Ford/Deere chassis) Wasn't in fantastic shape, but not horrible by any means-- outside was a bit weathered, the storage doors were needing attention, the inside was in real good condition, worst part was some of the wall paneling veneer was flaking off. I had to fix a kinked gas line and the park brake. Other than that, we got 3 troublefree years use out of it..

Now, back in 2007 the economy wasn't in shambles, and our '87 would the same as a '91 now--

We paid $7200 for it. And I bartered it to a friend for what works out to be about $5000 when we bought the Allegro. And this minute it still has less than 70k miles on it.

Around here I see early 90's 30-32' gassers in the 8 grand range pretty regular. I'm thinking 12-anything for that '90 is steep. And this is just my opinion, but I've always felt that new engines in motorhomes equals very crappy maintenance habits. If the engine wouldn't handle it, everything else can't be far behind...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
Any opinions appreciated. good and bad. Thanks

maintenance papers available
full paint, no damage
tow package
Front tires near new, rears good.
roof and ceiling have no issues
gen in good condition, used periodically yearly
accepting reasonable offers

Castanet Classifieds - 32' Gulfstream Sun Clipper.
worth about 1/4 asking. Set your sites to a 1996 or later. Significantly better drive train and of course ODBII
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
here's some info for some of the questions that have popped up. new engine at 90k, new trans about 100k. 115k total

All operating systems are in good working order.

Roof maintained annually, no stains or damage of any kind to the ceiling.

I'm thinking the only items that might need addressing are the suspension components? I asked what he might do if he were preparing for a long trip. His answer was maybe a wheel alignment. The tires he just changed on the front had minor irregular wear.
If youre not handy... the suspension is going to be expensive.
Havent worked on any ford chassis... but at a minimum the front and rear springs are probably fatigued. Ball joints/bearings/brake lines need close inspection.
Looked at a 97 winne adventurer... I was familiar with the chevy chassis but even with 30k on it... the supension needed over $2k in parts to be "safe".
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome