Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #15

A year into the present coach, and am just now 'getting the feel' of this coach. Our 7th MH over the years.

The better half kept saying we might have made a mistake if I was going to be so uptight on the first few hours of every trip.

Mind you, I just retired from a 700k pound 747 Captains' seat flying almost nothing but the Pacific for the last 7+ years. I used to think nothing could be more hair-raising than that.

It eventually will seem and actually get better.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
You guys are great. Thanks! Looks like we're stuck here for the night. Talked to the manager, he was cool with it. So, I'll let you know how things turn out tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #17

That looks like it could be a "pinch shock" impact. Do you remember hitting a really bad pothole or hitting a curb recently. When they dismount the tire they can tell from the inside damage.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
That looks like it could be a "pinch shock" impact. Do you remember hitting a really bad pothole or hitting a curb recently. When they dismount the tire they can tell from the inside damage.

Yeah, all the roads in Massachusetts.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Yep, I was thinking it could be impact damage and not a defect. It'll have to be dismounted and inspected for damage inside.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #20

Looks like a impact "bubble". The inner liner of the tire gets pinched or a small crack letting air in to the outer layers of the tire. If it was a defect it should have shown up a couple days after it was aired up for the first time. Most tires carry a manufacturer defect warranty for the first 2/32 of tread wear(not sure on the commercial tires) alot of times a call to goodyear will help. I would call them first before you go to shop. They will give you a case number and a lot of times pro-rate it some what for customer satisfaction. The shop may just say not covered and to bad so sad.

Good luck!
bgdavis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
On 495 and 90 the road is like a war zone. Now you've got me thinking I can't even drive this thing without blowing a tire.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
On 495 and 90 the road is like a war zone. Now you've got me thinking I can't even drive this thing without blowing a tire.
If its impact damage, it may have happened before you got your tire pressures under control.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire pressure was always at 85 psi I suppose the damage may have been done before we got the rig and it was just waiting to expose itself. But, there are some rough potholes down these two highways.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #24

According to all the literature published by the major tire companies that bulge is the result of impact damage and is the first stage of what is called a zipper flat. When the zipper flat occurs the loss of tire pressure is instantaneous. When I get home next week I will post the literature on a zipper flat again for all to read
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #25

No that is not what you expect to happen, just returned from a trip to Florida, my tires are 2005, which will cause extreme heart attacks from some folks reading this
Great that you found this, if it is a steer tire things could have gotten really bad quick, good to check the tires before each trip.
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
No that is not what you expect to happen, just returned from a trip to Florida, my tires are 2005, which will cause extreme heart attacks from some folks reading this
Great that you found this, if it is a steer tire things could have gotten really bad quick, good to check the tires before each trip.
Jim
It's only by pure luck that I checked them. We had only been driving 2 hours and decided to stop here to make dinner because of how late it was. The tires were checked plenty before we left. If this is impact damage that occurred, and it wasn't already there before I bought the thing, then it was caused by simple driving down Mass highways. It's not like these things can easily swerve around every pothole in the road.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I suppose it is possible this little bulge was there and I missed it before we left but I'd be surprised.

..though I'm surprised, if it was there, that it didn't blow on these roads.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #28

Nice catch!
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote