Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
spec24,

As singpilot might attest to, driving and living in MHs requires a certain amount of systems thinking. These large Class A rigs are an assembly of different systems that are suppose to work together to get you from point A to point B in style and comfort but they don't always play well together in the sand box. LOL I can tell you that my DSDP is more complex and seems to need more attention than some of the single engine aircraft I have flown or been part owner of.

There is a HUGE learning curve for first time owners (not sure if you are or not) and it can be confusing and discouraging. The shear size and complexity of these beasts requires a more cautious approach to them and due diligence on the part of their owners to become educated on all facets of their operations. Clearly, as you see, you can not think about MHs as nothing more than a big truck.

As to the whole tire thing you are facing...

I don't know if it is a defect or caused by bad roads. It is what it is. What you do with all the things you will learn about tires and tire care from this is important.

IMHO, with tires you will always have the risks of damage caused by bad roads and other road hazards that you may not have been able to avoid. A couple weeks ago I ran over a chuck of fire wood that feel off of a truck and because of traffic there was no way I could avoid it because of traffic on my left and a soft shoulder on my right. While it didn't cause any visible damage to any tires on my MH or my toad, it could have. I'm still giving my right side tires an extra "look see" for now.

So, here is what I do to hopefully stay on top of things:

1. Use a TPMS. I will not guarantee that it will predict a blow out "in the nick of time" but I think they will help you see if something is not right more often than not.

2. Inspect and air up your tires the night before you plan to depart. This will take some of the pressure off of you when you are trying to be wheels up and on the road. It will also help you if you find something wrong and gives you time to sort out the best course of actions. Of course, what ou do about tire pressure assumes that your tire's have gotten "cold" depending on if you drove that day or not. Even if your tires aren't cold, you can inspect them for any physical damage. I actually keep my TPMS turned on when parked and generally check it daily. I once found a slow leak caused by me when I didn't seat a valve extension properly that way.

3. When you stop for rest, fuel or even it is the final stop for the day, get out and inspect your entire rig including tires, tow set ups and toad tires. Some folks like to use IR guns to check temps and others like a tire club. Heck, if you have a TPMS, an IR gun and a good club...you can't be any more pro-active than that. My routine when parking for the night with jacks down is to place my jack pads down on the ground and run my hands over tas much of the tires that I can while I also visually inspect them. Use a flashlight to see between the duals.

Finally, If you think your MH's tires just took a beating beyond your comfort zone, pull over and inspect them. Certainly, if you have a TPMS and the situation caused damage you might see that pretty quickly but not always. Take the time to make sure, to the best you can, that the tires look good. I know, looks can be deceiving but unless you want to pay someone to tear them apart with each bad jolt, it is all you have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Nice catch!
AGREED!

BTW...in Flying magazine they have a section called, "I learned about flying." where real pilots provide real world, learning lessons and sometimes confess their sins. These stories sometimes cover issues where the pilot got complacent or wasn't properly prepared/trained for a situation that nearly bit them in the butt. The OP and others like him/her do us all a favor when they bring these kinds of issues to the rest of us to keep us on our toes.

THANKS OP.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not at a campground. And I needed an RV tire quickly. Seeing as I've never had to buy tires of this kind, and knowing MOST tire places won't carry this stock, I was wondering who might have them on hand.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is why you join Coachnet or Good Sam. They find the service provider and send them to you. They pay for the service call and you pay for the tire. In my personal experience Goodyear RV tires are prone to this failure. I had the side wall bubble and a tread seperation, both with Goodyear. Both were defective tires, but no free tires or adjustments. I stick to Michelin as first, Toyo as second choice today. I used to be a Goodyear fan, but no more.

Dave
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Call Coach-Net now and see if you can join. They will get the right tire to you.

877 801-0333. It may take several hours, but they will get you rolling.

Good luck,

Dave
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunde01 View Post
This is why you join Coachnet or Good Sam. They find the service provider and send them to you. They pay for the service call and you pay for the tire. In my personal experience Goodyear RV tires are prone to this failure. I had the side wall bubble and a tread seperation, both with Goodyear. Both were defective tires, but no free tires or adjustments. I stick to Michelin as first, Toyo as second choice today. I used to be a Goodyear fan, but no more.

Dave
I am still covered under Ford's roadside so no need to join another, yet. They've been great so far. Have taken care of everything for me. They could not locate anyone who had the tire last night but did find someone who would have it this morning. We are waiting on them right now. Hope it's not too much longer.

Hope the new Goodyears turn out better than the old.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good deal. Motorhome tire sizes can be hard to find some times. The Ford road service may be provided by the same folks that other providers contract with. I like Coach-Net because they will have a certified RV tech try to talk you through resolving a plethora of other coach problems while you are on the road. For example if you had a slide stuck out. Hope you are rolling soon.

Dave
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #36

I may be wrong, as I've never suffered a blow-out on any vehicle (knock-on-wood), but I agree that a TPMS will provide almost no warning of a blow-out in this situation.
However, it does provide real-time data of your tire status (moving or stored) which is a real value especially when new to RV'ing.
It can save the day in another way: From personal experience my TPMS alerted me to a VERY high temperature on one rear-axle tire, but it also indicated normal tire pressure. that was a bit of a mystery, so I pulled-over and checked it out.
Turned out I had over-heated the rear brakes and on one side the pads had locked closed on the disk. We had almost no braking at that point.
We just waited a few minutes on the side of the road for things to cool down and restarted. So the TPMS probably paid for itself then.
Staying paranoid about some things on these motorhomes is a good habit to get into. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunde01 View Post
... In my personal experience Goodyear RV tires are prone to this failure. I had the side wall bubble and a tread seperation, both with Goodyear. Both were defective tires, but no free tires or adjustments. I stick to Michelin as first, Toyo as second choice today. I used to be a Goodyear fan, but no more.

Dave
You had 2 issues with Goodyear. Others have had similar experiences with Michelin. Just a personal judgement, not necessarily a fact. I have had good service from both.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #38

I had a rear inside dual blowout. It had a tread separation, only in the tread, G670RV 22.5. On closer inspection the tread in the bulge area had worn thin, so the separation (bubble) had been there a while & I could have managed it w/out roadside service if I'd been on my game.

So now the process is:
1) before take off on a trip- a. on the creeper under the front end to check tire sidewall, b. walk around to check all outer sidewalls, c. run had over tread of all 6 tires from in front of contact patch w/the ground around to the rear of contact patch. This doesn't give a feel to the contact patch, but I can't get my hand under there.
2) after stopping and periodically while travelling, repeat 1.c. You need a break from the seated position anyway, might as well do something useful.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #39

I noticed the same thing on my 95 Bounder a couple years ago when I was checking in to a park in Nova Scotia, bent down, looked at it, and turned to walk away when it blew, tore a hole in the gravel driveway and missed my foot by inches.
$600 later........

Learner
Old 06-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone. We are on the road but its been miserable with this weather down the east coast. These roads are also atrocious. In surprised anyone would drive one of these things in these roads but....well, here I am
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #41

Congratulations on finding and fixing the problem before it left you on the road. You get an "A" for both.

Great job!

You did better than me. On a road trip last month, I noticed a slight tread bulge while at a campground. So good for me because I found the problem. But, it was on a Saturday and I could not find the right size tire before everybody closed up. Since Mother's Day was Sunday, I took a chance with the tire and got on the road. Two hundred miles later I was on the side of the road with a flat.

So, I get an "A" for finding the probem, and an "F" for being too impatient to fix it in time.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You had 2 issues with Goodyear. Others have had similar experiences with Michelin. Just a personal judgement, not necessarily a fact. I have had good service from both.
No personal judgement expressed. Simply a factual reporting of my personal experience. I also offered my opinion on the brands I prefer today.

Interesting project on irv2.

Tire Failure Records

Dave