Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Is This Suppose To Do That?

Hopefully that pulled in a few, but a serious question nonetheless. I was creeping around the chassis shaking and wiggling stuff when something moved, that I think should not move.

Anyway, this is a Workhouse Custom Chassis R32 series RDP. The steering linkage in the left front has two "tie bars" that attach to the front of the frame, then a steering gear box or something. then onto another tie rod. I got pictures below and maybe someone can explain this section to me and tell me if the front turnbuckle assy should be hand turnable. The other one is tightly secured.

Now the pictures.
The first picture is from in front of the steering box. The turnbuckle that adjusts the length of that rod I can turn by hand. the other one is tight in the second picture where it connects to the steering knuckle or whatever it is called.

Any thoughts or experienced advise would be great. What does that rod adjust? Should I leave it as is or tighten the turnbuckle so it will not turn like the other one. I presume it needs to be set and tightened up to help align the steering, but that's just me. I don't look at this stuff too much so I am learning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0191.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	37648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0193.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	37649  

GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm having a hard time seeing what is loose or what it is but if that aligns your toe in/toe out of your wheels it should not be loose. I would tighten it and take it to a alignment shop. If it should come disconnected you will have a major problem and lose control with no steering. Hopefully someone else can help. Good luck.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #3

The adjusting sleeve should be tightened on the threads. Even if tightened properly the entire thing will roll back and forth (1/4 turn or so) to the end points of the joints on either end, but should roll no further.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
All the above are correct. Tighten the clamps on the adjusting barrel. Then take it for an alignment asap. There is no way of knowing if it has turned and changed your alignment or not. Be sure to show the mechanic which part you found loose and which bolts you tightened so he can recheck them for proper security and torques.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

Only the tie rod between the wheels has anything to do with the actual wheel alignment; toe-in/out.
If the adjuster in question is from the box to the left front wheel, or from the box to a bellcrank, then it is used to center the steering wheel to direction of travel or to center the box to wheels.
Depends on the steering wheel, if it is master-splined to the column shaft; many tilt / telliscopic are.
The clamps should be tight and if you have any wandering problems have the alignment checked.
May have been left loose by a tech who road tested after an alignment , and was making adjustments on the road test to straighten the steering wheel, then forgot to tighten the clamps when he got back to the shop.
Don't ask how I know this.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Only the tie rod between the wheels has anything to do with the actual wheel alignment; toe-in/out.
If the adjuster in question is from the box to the left front wheel, or from the box to a bellcrank, then it is used to center the steering wheel to direction of travel or to center the box to wheels.
Depends on the steering wheel, if it is master-splined to the column shaft; many tilt / telliscopic are.
The clamps should be tight and if you have any wandering problems have the alignment checked.
May have been left loose by a tech who road tested after an alignment , and was making adjustments on the road test to straighten the steering wheel, then forgot to tighten the clamps when he got back to the shop.
Don't ask how I know this.
Best answer so far. I did have it into the shop for the Post delivery writeups. Alignment was one of them and they said it was OK. My complaint was the coach wanted to pull to the right slightly. This looks like the problem as it still wants to pull right slightly.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Best answer so far. I did have it into the shop for the Post delivery writeups. Alignment was one of them and they said it was OK. My complaint was the coach wanted to pull to the right slightly. This looks like the problem as it still wants to pull right slightly.
I'll have to ask a few questions, to get information that you should provide to the alignment shop.
You say slight pull; is the coach actualy pulling or is the steering wheel off to the right ?
If it is pulling; do you feel the same pull on all roads ( 2 lane, freeway ) and road surfaces ( pavement , concrete) ?
Are the tires new ? Used tires can have issues that make adjusting alignment to correct for a pull, nearly impossible. Swaping the tires L F to RF can tell you if it is a tire problem, if the coach pulls left after the swap.
Personally I don't like leaving the tires swaped, JMHO, all radial tires develop a direction of rotation, after a few thousand miles, changing the rotation can lead to vibration/balance issues that can't be corrected.
This goes back to training I got when radial tires were first introduced for passenger vehicles.
Did the shop make any adjustments to the camber and caster when they worked on it, or was it a check only?
Do you know the 4 corner weights of your coach ?
A weight difference side to side could mean you have to run higher air pressure on that side to correct your pull.
The shop may have more questions, answer them honestly, as with any problem ; more info = better answers; or in this case; more info = a better repair ; the first time.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steering components

The whole bar is called the "Drag link". If just the clamp on the ends of the draglink are loose you must tighten them. It the whole bar moves up and down noticeably you should replace it as soon as you can because it will fail. If it comes apart from wear you will lose the ability to steer.
I was a school bus inspector for 30 years and this was one thing that we checked.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
The whole bar is called the "Drag link". If just the clamp on the ends of the draglink are loose you must tighten them. It the whole bar moves up and down noticeably you should replace it as soon as you can because it will fail. If it comes apart from wear you will lose the ability to steer.
I was a school bus inspector for 30 years and this was one thing that we checked.
I'm gonna get a wrench. Thanks for the info.