Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Ed,

Not to pick at nits but it is only 9 years old. I do agree with your assessment though of MH longevity.

Happy Trails!
MY Bad. Now that the 2015 models are available, a 2005 would be 10 model years older, not the 15 I posted. Thanks for "picking"
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #16

5700 miles a year is just good usage. Get the price down if you like all else.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #17

Minimum miles on MH?

A lot of good information here, thank you all. About whats the minimum amount of miles that should be on a 9 year old MH where it's not consider to be a risk from sitting to long.

Lynn
LJV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJV51 View Post
A lot of good information here, thank you all. About whats the minimum amount of miles that should be on a 9 year old MH where it's not consider to be a risk from sitting to long.

Lynn
That is a bit more difficult.

On a low miles older rig, you need to check everything including pressurizing the water system and looking at every access for leaks. Cycle any slides as well as leveling system. Start the GENSET and let it run a while. Don't forget water heater and furnace.

Start drive and then let the rig sit somewhere for 24 hours at least and see if anything leaks.

After that, it comes down to your gut, don't be emotional about a rig, that way you can walk away without regrets. Good Luck and let us know what you find. Pics! Pics! Pics!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #19

Is this too many miles?

YES, I have a 07 38J adventurer that I bought in 2012 with 6,500 miles on it for less than that.

As far as sitting to long or to low miles, that is basically an internet fantasy. You get more wear and tear on systems, chassis, hoses, etc with use than with non use.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #20

Most people will do 5000-10,000 miles a year. The problem is the coach where they did good miles for several years then some problem intervened and it sat for 2 or 3 years and now they want it gone. That is why maintenance records can be a big plus as they usually list the mileage on the vehicle at each occurrence. Check something like annual oil changes or inspections as a start.

FWIW any brake pedal vibration is a sign of pitted brake drums. They rust differently under the pads when sitting. Excessive running noise can be brakes or tires both of which are expensive service calls. After the test drive walk around and touch each wheel hub looking for hot one's. Check the tire date codes. A nine year old chassis could be on 9 year old tires. These are some of the signs of a unit that sat around and is now being dumped.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I'm not a owner yet but look a lot and compare as I feel you may be just starting to do, otherwise you would probably not even consider it at that price. Private owners with pride of ownership and good records will have a lot more to offer for less. I wouldn't even consider this unit.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #22

I bought a 2005 Newmar 37 foot Kountry Star with 48K miles on a W24 chassie that was babied by the prior owners. Not to say it is perfect, after all it is nine years old. But his asking price (which I paid) was less than low book and I thought after looking for nearly a year his price was fair and the coach was what we wanted to start our RV life with. I have since looked at others, including diesels, and still feel I got a good deal and like the coach we bought.

I think you can tell a lot when buying from a private owner that you can't at a dealer. For example, I knew all the recalls and issues with the chassis. When I asked the PO he not only knew of them but had them correctly addressed. His wife was very careful of the interior laying towels, etc. on things that might get scratched. It was obvious they loved the coach and had taken very good care of it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
$55,000 will buy a diesel with 3 slides and 30-40,000 miles of the same era...
www.pplmotorhomes.com
With PPL, you have to stay on top of what's there. The good stuff get's snapped up FAST and the stuff that stays there for a while, stays there for a good reason.

Since I live there, we walk the lot for fun, and I commonly refer to it as "The place where RV's go to die." or "The RV boneyard"

Regardless for the OP, negotiate like heck! All asking prices are just a starting point. I think you could pick the thing up for 12k less as mentioned. Real money talks.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #24

May be different in CA where the weather is nicer but for most of the country you are getting close to the end of camping season and the start of long term storage season, which can be to your benefit as you start to look around . Someone who doesn't want it to sit in storage may deal on price with you
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Has or diesel?
Can you get extended warranty?
Would you pay $175 or thereabouts to have a certified inspector spend three or so hours checking the rig out?

Maybe lemon or plum. Just talked to a fellow who bout 2004 22ft Winnie C for $6000. It looked like new.

Really comes down to what you want to pay for what you want.
Good luck finding uour perfect rig.

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology
Old 09-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this too many miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I'm not a owner yet but look a lot and compare as I feel you may be just starting to do, otherwise you would probably not even consider it at that price. Private owners with pride of ownership and good records will have a lot more to offer for less. I wouldn't even consider this unit.

I feel I need to back off my first reply slightly. When I first read the post my dyslexia must of kicked in. My first register was that of the 76,500 as being the price not the milage. With all the help and advice you will get on here you will sure be an informed buyer. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this too many miles?

Check this unit out. for $55,000 If I was ready to pull the trigger on a Adventurer purchase I would certainly look at this one. http://www.rvt.com/Winnebago-Adventu...47015-UX127310
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #28

It may help to find a RV loan officer at a bank to look up the wholesale book value on it. Thats what the dealer probably has in it. After looking at several I'v also found that taking the NADA low retail minus another 10% or so usually comes close to that wholesale book value on the ones I have looked at. And by the way, they don't pay any attention to the added options when looking up that book value.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote