Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The line for me is if I have to turn up the radio to hear the music over the noise, it's too noisy. It does happen on occasion.

My rig - a 2004 MADP - is, unfortunately, not free of either rattles nor squeaks. I could probably hunt down every one and fix them, but my wife doesn't drive the rig (a whole different thread) making them extremely difficult to pinpoint from the driver's seat, and I can't simulate the bumps of the road when it's sitting in my driveway. I've found a couple, but not all of them.

All of my rattles and squeaks are confined to under the dash area and most are related to the generator and it's slide mechanism under there. It's simply not possible for me to move the generator enough by hand to replicate the noises in order to hunt them down, so I have to live with them.

It doesn't happen often until I hit a bad patch of road, then it's a cacophony of rattles and squeaks. Smooth road = peaceful, restful quiet.

p.s. I've ridden and/or driven in two gas rigs and the noise was only mildly louder than my pusher, but not so much so that I wouldn't have bought one because of it. Conversely, I've ridden in three Prevosts, and they aren't so much quieter than mine (if at all) to the point that I wish I would have bought one of those instead.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #30

Hey Wryly, That post was far to reasonable for a guy with a diesel pusher!

RE: "All of my rattles and squeaks are confined to under the dash area and most are related to the generator and it's slide mechanism under there."

I'm curious if you've talked to Newmar about that? Or is it just not bothersome enough to deal with!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
The line for me is if I have to turn up the radio to hear the music over the noise, it's too noisy. It does happen on occasion.

My rig - a 2004 MADP - is, unfortunately, not free of either rattles nor squeaks. I could probably hunt down every one and fix them, but my wife doesn't drive the rig (a whole different thread) making them extremely difficult to pinpoint from the driver's seat, and I can't simulate the bumps of the road when it's sitting in my driveway. I've found a couple, but not all of them.

All of my rattles and squeaks are confined to under the dash area and most are related to the generator and it's slide mechanism under there. It's simply not possible for me to move the generator enough by hand to replicate the noises in order to hunt them down, so I have to live with them.

It doesn't happen often until I hit a bad patch of road, then it's a cacophony of rattles and squeaks. Smooth road = peaceful, restful quiet.

p.s. I've ridden and/or driven in two gas rigs and the noise was only mildly louder than my pusher, but not so much so that I wouldn't have bought one because of it. Conversely, I've ridden in three Prevosts, and they aren't so much quieter than mine (if at all) to the point that I wish I would have bought one of those instead.
I have the same issue - wife won't drive the MH. So it is very difficult to locate the squeaks and rattles.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #32

I know a guy who's wife would not drive. He finely took her to a small airport where she had nothing to run into. He said after 20 minutes she drove their 43' coach home.

Sometimes maybe just having some wide open spaces where they can't hit anything or be hit by anything can make the difference?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I know a guy who's wife would not drive. He finely took her to a small airport where she had nothing to run into. He said after 20 minutes she drove their 43' coach home.

Sometimes maybe just having some wide open spaces where they can't hit anything or be hit by anything can make the difference?
Something like that may work. I would like for her to at least be able to drive in case of an emergency. I really don't care if she normally drives or not. I always do the driving when we are in the car.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #34

I agree JT, I'd like my wife to at least know how the coach feels under power and could drive as you said. "IN AN EMERGENCY"!

That's not just good for me it's good for her as well!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:13 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am a stickler about noise in my coach. I once took the microwave out and redid the mount because it rattled. If I hear anything I have the DW track it down and I fix it ASAP. Can't stand rattle or squeaks.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #36

Other than silverware and the pull down shade on the passenger side my coach is amazingly quiet on the road. . . . with one exception; wind noise from the CB antenna on the A pillar. Granted that fat banshee doesn't reach full song until I get up near 60mph, but since 65-70 aren't uncommon speeds for me it's pretty annoying.

Of course, the sounds of silverware and baking sheets battling for territorial supremacy in the galley drawers as we traverse the washboards that pass for roads around here can get annoying, but once we hit the highway it's smooth sailing.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #37

Rexhall Owners Group
Our gas rex is very quite. I was very surprised as i was not expecting it. The only thing that is VERY noisy is the engine clutch fan. Ford really needed to look into this. I am thinking next year there will be electric fans installed.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Wryly, That post was far to reasonable for a guy with a diesel pusher!

RE: "All of my rattles and squeaks are confined to under the dash area and most are related to the generator and it's slide mechanism under there."

I'm curious if you've talked to Newmar about that? Or is it just not bothersome enough to deal with!
Reasonable? Don't tell anyone, you'll ruin my reputation as the village idiot

I have not talked to Newmar yet, and yeah... it's usually not that bothersome. Even so, it's definitely something I would love to take care of, it'll just take some time to get 'er done.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by WyoFree:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Something like that may work. I would like for her to at least be able to drive in case of an emergency. I really don't care if she normally drives or not. I always do the driving when we are in the car.
jt
My wife has driven the rig on BLM land, open parking lots, etc. so I know she can, she just doesn't dig it... too much pressure to enjoy the experience. I, on the other hand, love to drive it so it just doesn't make sense for her to drive regularly. She could in an emergency, that's good enough for me

Old 05-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #40

Wryly your reputation is intact, everyone still thinks your an idiot!

And you're right about your wife. If she can drive in an emergency is great!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
We have a 96 Bounder . Normal conversation is not a problem at all unless pulling a steep grade . We have no rattles at all unless bit s big bump or something . This is with headers and a free flowing muffler .
There are times when I have to ask my wife to repeat herself , but that's because she sometimes turns her head the other way when talking , but that's not just in the motorhome .
Ha Ha!
Same problem here at home. My wife walks away from me going into the bedroom talking to me and gets mad when I ask her to repeat what she said.
Hittntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
Ha Ha!
Same problem here at home. My wife walks away from me going into the bedroom talking to me and gets mad when I ask her to repeat what she said.
Don't let it escalate to "if you love me you would know what I was thinking".

Tags
motorhome