Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #29

Exhaust brake

For the person that ask for some one in the Denver area to reprogram their trans. Stewart Stevenson will do it for you. They are the Allison Dist in Denver area. They did mine. Only takes a few minutes.
Ron D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdelcamp View Post
For the person that ask for some one in the Denver area to reprogram their trans. Stewart Stevenson will do it for you. They are the Allison Dist in Denver area. They did mine. Only takes a few minutes.
Ron D.
For those with Cat powered coaches the techs at most Caterpillar dealers can do it also.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdelcamp View Post
Ron D.
Thanks so much for for the info. I will give them a call.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #32

PRXB UPDATE

Well, I thought I should add my thoughts on the PRBX upgrade I just completed on the coach.

To recap, I felt my original Pacbrake was not performing as it should, so I started testing it. First, I just made sure it was being activated and closing as, and when, it should. I had my brother-in-law lay on the bed while I drove the coach, and he confirmed it seemed to be functioning properly.

The next step was to measure the back-pressure produced on long grades. I installed a gauge in the driverís area where I could see it, and ran a line back to the Pacbrake which connected to the test port on the side of the brake casting. I am in Colorado, so we went camping up in the mountains for 4 days, driving some of the typical steep (6-8%) grades.

The maximum back-pressure I ever experienced was 18 PSI, at about 2500 RPM. When the RPM dropped, so did the back-pressure and I mean dropped quick.

I immediately ordered the PRXB, and installed it. I am now in the Black Hills, in South Dakota, and have tested the new brake during the trip. Now, there have only be a few short grades on this trip, but steep grades were not needed for me to see and immediate improvement with the PRXB. I could tell the first time it activated. This thing works great! My back-pressure shoots up to 60 PSI as soon as the brake is energized, and stays there all the way down to 15 MPH, or about 1200 RPM (then the brake cuts out). Now, I will say that it doesnít do much above 55 MPH or so, but it is just as good as the original Pacbrake, (and better than my defective one), at those speeds. But drop down through the gears starting at 4th, and wow, this thing pulls you down.

I havenít had to touch my brakes once because of runaway speeds on this trip.

Oh yes, the swap-out from the old to the new PRXB took about 45 minutes. Very easy on my coach. This has been one of the best value upgrades I have done so far.

Very happy Pacbrake customer.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear about a happy PRXB upgrade customer.

I share your same thoughts and experiences.

Glad I converted over when I did back in 2010.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #34

How did this discussion, concerning the CAT engine digrest to the Cummins engine?
2 different animals IMO.
Exhaust / Pacbrake are not used on Cummins. That is a jake brake.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
How did this discussion, concerning the CAT engine digrest to the Cummins engine?
2 different animals IMO.
You might want to read the thread again.

It started with a question about a Cummins ISC engine which does have a Pacbrake exhaust brake, which is not the same as a Jake brake, although the two are often confused. It seems you may have confused them also?
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

It started with a question about a Cummins ISC engine which does have a Pacbrake exhaust brake, which is not the same as a Jake brake,
Jacobs , manufactures both , engine ( compression ) brakes and exhaust brakes
and that adds to the confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421 (640x360).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	146375  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #37

One thing people need to know and remember A Exhaust brake is only a assist to the air service brakes its not designed as a actual brake system
If your looking for one that almost(not entirely) removes the use of service brakes then you will need a engine brake and even those don't eliminate the service brakes
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post

How did this discussion, concerning the CAT engine digress to the Cummins engine?

2 different animals IMO.

Boy are you way off base and totally misinformed. Have you actually read the entire thread?

Here are some facts; both CAT and Cummins diesel engines can have either an Exhaust Brake made by PacBrake or Jacobs Brake (aka jake brake) OR an engine brake.

An exhaust brake uses compression within the exhaust system whereas an engine brake uses compression within the engines cylinders.

Here is a good explanation of both types of braking used on diesel engines.

How Engine Brakes Work

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake