Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Triker 56, tell me more about the Banks system you have. How much is it and how much does it affect mileage. We have recently bought a 2001 38' Sportscoach with the ISB. Since Florida is as flat as a pool table, we can cruise at 65 and get over 10 mpg and it feels like enough power, but this summer we plan a trip that includes some mountain driving. Thanks, DACOTAH

Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Just to add to Triker's statement. I had a B5.9 Cummins in my old MH and towed a Jeep Wrangler. i needed a little more power so I bought the Banks Power Pack kit on sale for $1000 from Banks. Wow, what a difference. At 65 mph towing the Wrangler I could get 10.6 MPG time and time again and had lots of power for climbing. Installing the Banks kit was OK except for changing the Exhaust housing on the turbo. Don't do it yourself. Take it into a turbo rebuild shop and let them do it. The old housing will be rusted on tight and you do not want to hit the turbo with a hammer. They have special pullers to break them apart. Also you have to be super careful in putting them back together so the turbine blades do not hit the housing. It is real easy to damage.

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
A ISB with a Banks PowerPack will get you up any hill and will pass those fuel stops the bigger boys need to stop for.
Just make sure the ISB MH also has the Allison 3000 6 speed.
Excellent point on the transmission. My old ISB-equipped coach only had the 4-speed Allison. Wouldn't accomodate a Banks kit.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
MichGuy, if you want to spend more money on maintenance, the be sure you buy a coach with a Cat engine, otherwise buy a Cummins. Parts for either one are expensive, but the Cat requires more adjustment work requiring a shop at $100 plus per hour. Yeah, Cat owners will jump on this, but don't believe anything the sales folks are telling you. They will tell you anything to sell what they have. The guy that told you Cummins engines were pick up truck engines evidently sold Cats.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
I just purchased a 40' Fleetwod Discovery with the ISB 6.7 engine, a little disappointed with the "hill climbing" capabilities, But the 8 mpg is much better than a friends 36' MH with a Cat 330 which gets around 5 mpg. Although he leaves me in the dust on the hill climbs, we still manage to get to the same place together.
Cummins also claims the ISB engine requires less maintenance then the bigger engines.
2010 Fleetwood Discovery, Cummins ISB 350, 2016 Jeep Rubicon or 2005 Jeep Rubicon.
jth camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Out in the swamps, deserts and the most remotely inaccessible areas across the world you can find Cummins 4BT (3.9L) and 6BT (5.9L/ISB) engines happily humming along generating electric and/or pumping water for years without ever being shut down except for routine valve lash adjustment, oil/filter changes or in most cases the failure of whatever device it's powering. Since the "B" series engines were so reliable they were commonly used to power hydraulic equipment, boats, bread vans and delivery trucks. The "C" series engines (8.3L) are used to power heavy construction equipment such as frontloaders, backhoes, mining and paving equipment and standby generators.

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote