Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #15

If I am correct you can't have more than 1 gfci outlet per circuit so if your plug where you had the extension on had one and you used that same circuit that could be the problem. Normaly 1 gfci would protect muliple outlets.
wingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
You are obviously correct that it may not apply to all makes. I had a Maytag, late 1990's vintage in my house. Took it out and replaced it. I moved it in my garage temporarily. It tripped off every outlet with GFI protection.

Thanks for the clarification!
GFI outlets only monitor the outgoing and incoming current through the hot and neutral wire supplying the refrigerator. If your refrigerator trips every GFI you plug it into there is a problem with the fridge that causes the current to be uneven. (some of the current supplied through the hot wire is probably returning via the ground wire in the cord).

Similarly if an RV does the same thing there is a device or circuit in the RV leaking current to ground. Both are a safety issue. If the ground were to become disconnected (via loose wiring or faulty plug) that stray current could end up flowing through you instead!. The appliance should be checked. At a minimum NEVER EVER plug the appliance in via a cheater plug or pull the ground pin off!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdog View Post
If I am correct you can't have more than 1 gfci outlet per circuit so if your plug where you had the extension on had one and you used that same circuit that could be the problem. Normaly 1 gfci would protect muliple outlets.
GFI's can be wired to protect multiple outlets, but not unless the electrician wired it that way. You can tell by testing the GFCI outlet and see if other outlets die too.

GFCI's can be in series if nothing is leaking current to ground...for example if you have a GFCI circuit in your camper and you plug the camper into a GFCI outlet, it should be fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #18

I had the same issue. Turned off the breakers to freezer and some other breaker that were not needed while parked. Problem solved.