Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Issue that is fixed pressing auxiliary start switch for 20 secs

This is a weird issue I have ran across and haven't read another one like it so far. About 2 years ago I purchased new Costco 6v deep cycle batteries to replace my old ones. We went out and dry camped out in the desert (ATVs). I didn't notice the issue before I left. But when batteries run down below about 12.3 ish volts on House AUX batteries the jacks, Pop out, all gages read out (Water, Black, gray, Main battery) except AUX battery level stop reading (no power or low power to dim read outs). I havenít looked for what else isnít working yet. But when I press the Auxiliary Start switch they all light up and jacks works as well for as long as I hold down the button. But as soon as I release I get about 20 secs and then Jacks power light goes out and gages start read out issue like power discharged from a capacitor. If I have a charger running on the AUX batteries. The issue doesnít happen like I was pressing the Aux start switch and holding it. Could I have had a bad set of Costco Batteries from the get go. The RV sat for about 8 months before I replaced the batteries about 2 years go. We havenít been out since then. So Iím started to trouble shoot now before the next trip. The batteries charge up and hold a load, but will be replacing them before next trip.

I have a 2005 Fleetwood fiesta 32s with RV Custom Products F73-1020 GAS electrical panel.

I have read from some old post that they had troubleshooting guides from RV Custom. If someone has a copy I would be very appreciated (PDF ??).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #2

Hello
Im not sure I understand the problem. What your describing is the symptoms of dead house battery's and when you press the aux switch combing the battery's you are adding the capacity of the chassis battery. I am not sure where your seeing the 12.3. Perhaps your seeing the voltage of the chassis batt. Once fully charged did you get the expected time out of your house bank? Did you actually check the house voltage with a meter ?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #3

When you press the aux switch you are taking power from engine batteries and yes you could have "bad" coach batteries. You said the coach sat for several months. If you didn't have them charged and refill water level on a monthly basis you sure could have "bad" batteries. Once the batteries run completely dead and if they stay that way for any length of time there are usually toast! Just my two cents

Good luck and safe travels
Old 11-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For everything to go blank it almost sound like the house battery disconnect solenoid is opening when the volts get low. The coils usually have a pretty wide voltage level requirement before they open. Pressing the AUX Start brings in the chassis battery but I'm not sure if power from the chassis battery will energize the solenoid. You could try using jumper cables to bypass the solenoid to get the batteries back in the circuit if the solenoid is the problem.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I'm pretty sure the there is a link to the troublshooting guide you want on this site somewhere but I can't seem to find it now with my currently sloooow internet connection. You could call to get it emailed maybe.

Battery Control Center Troubleshooting Guide

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Ph. 562-921-8353 Fax 562-921-1669

I have a copy but I can't seem to be able to attach it to this post.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
I'm pretty sure the there is a link to the troublshooting guide you want on this site somewhere but I can't seem to find it now with my currently sloooow internet connection. You could call to get it emailed maybe.

Battery Control Center Troubleshooting Guide

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Ph. 562-921-8353 Fax 562-921-1669

I have a copy but I can't seem to be able to attach it to this post.
Best to call RV Custom Products that way you will get the correct documentation for your board. They will email it to you.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THe dash gauges run off the CHASSIS batteries and yes Connecting a low battery to a full one for 20 seconds or so will transfer some charge.

But you need an RV Charging system diagnosis, Find out which bank is running down and why the engine alternator (I assume engine is running during this) is not charging it.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

After reading your post carefully several times, it appears it's very fractured. Here is the bottom line I read in your post:

1. You put new batteries in two years ago.
2. They have SAT for 2 years not being used or maintained.
3. Things work when you have a battery charger connected or the aux switched pushed.

YOUR BATTERIES ARE DEAD because you haven't maintained them since they were new.