Issues while on the road (and fixes)
If your gonna drive it, be prepared to fix it!
So, our latest leg of our trip from Seattle WA to Bringham City UT was interesting to say the least.
Started out fine, but had a few bumps along the way.
First day out, 4 hours into the trip, started loosing air pressure while going down the road. Was down to 50psi and took an exit to no where 50 miles from anywhere. Broke out the flashlight, rubber mat, screwdriver and hammer.
Air pressure was gone and ran the passenger side jacks down for room to get under. Found nothing loose or obviously broken. Had the wife (Carla) fire up the Rv. Heard air puffing from somewhere. Turned out to be the pressure release valve (bottom of air dryer) puffing out air. Hammer whacks did no good. Held my hand over the vent hole and valve closed. Air pressure back up to normal.
Carla looked for info on the valve.
Headed out, watching air pressure. Sure enough, it slowly dropped again. Got near a town and fuel but had to pull to shoulder due to low pressure again. This time I sprayed the valve down with WD-40, only thing I had close to a cleaner. To hot for my hand this time, but the rubber handle of a screwdriver did the trick. Air pressure.
Got to station, air holding, but too high priced. Down the block to another station. Filled up. Doing a walk around (every stop) I saw green fluid at engine grill. Crap.
Pulled around to back of station and recovery tank is leaking. It cracked before and I glued it. Drained antifreeze from tank and glued it up again. Let it dry, refilled and off we go.
Stopped again at station for food and wife got a can of brake cleaner spray for me.
Stopped later on at a rest area for the night with no issues along the way.
Next morning we got up and ready to go. Checked water level and all is good. Thinking ahead, I climbed under the back again and sprayed the troublesome valve really well with brake cleaner. Lots of gunk came out. Wiped up my mess.
Fired up the Rv and air pressure built up nicely. Headed out.
A long morning of climbing up out of the valley some long runs and some steep runs.
Found the "sweet spots" for climbing: 5th, 55 mph, 2000 rpm. 4th, 40 mph, 2000 rpm. 3rd, 30 mph, 2000 rpm. Temp goes up some, ex temp around 900, boost at 18 lbs.
Changed highways about noonish time. Hit some rain with a bug filled windshield and the washer wouldn't work. Stopped at a rest area to clean windshield and check washer. Windshield cleaned and washer plugged back end. (previous work issue).
In Rv turned key on and... Click, click, nothing.
ALL power to chassis is gone!
Carla started looking for info on line while I broke out the tools and mat.
Checked all the fuses and relays I could find. Got the multimeter out and checked batteries and connections. Batteries fully charged.
Carla found a post about similar issue being a relay behind left rear tires (Freightliner chassis). I checked battery connections again and started pulling on cables.
Heard the click, click, click, click that happens when you turn on the key. Carla tried to start it and everything went dead again. Found the loose cable!!!
Carla came out and wiggled the cable while j climbed under and traced it to the end. Sure enough. It connected to a solenoid and the nut on that cable was loose. Half a turn with a wrench to tighten. Key on and Rv fired right up.
Hit the road, again. Drove down off the mountain thru a dust storm and rain. Rolled into our destination without further incident.
Parked at son's house for a month or so.
All is good!
Mike and Carla
1998 42' Overland Larado Diesel Pusher
On the road - here and there - Full Timing