Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Issues with wrapping an RV for a roadshow

We are planning a promotional roadshow to create awareness for some open source software we have developed and thinking of traveling around the country in a wrapped 38' class A RV.

The idea is to bascially wrap the RV to parody a campaign bus; or if you are from the UK, a battle bus. We are not endorcing a canidate, rather poking a little fun at the circus like attmostphere that is shaping up to be the 2016 presidential race.

A couple examples of what the RV might mimic are:
http://thegatewaypundit.com/wp-conte...change-bus.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id508600404

The wrap is sudo-commercial. The software is free and the tour is to provide free education. We will have a website/url, but the site will be more of a log of the trip rather than trying to sell anything. We do plan to have 3-4 sponsors helping to fund the trip. Ideally, we would have an area to incorporate the sponsors logo and maybe a website in the wrap.

If and where do you think we might run into trouble with this idea. Will there be problems staying at RV parks? Will we run into problems being classified as a commercial vehicle.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Tom
tomdude48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdude48 View Post
We are planning a promotional roadshow to create awareness for some open source software we have developed and thinking of traveling around the country in a wrapped 38' class A RV.

The idea is to bascially wrap the RV to parody a campaign bus; or if you are from the UK, a battle bus. We are not endorcing a canidate, rather poking a little fun at the circus like attmostphere that is shaping up to be the 2016 presidential race.

A couple examples of what the RV might mimic are:
http://thegatewaypundit.com/wp-conte...change-bus.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id508600404

The wrap is sudo-commercial. The software is free and the tour is to provide free education. We will have a website/url, but the site will be more of a log of the trip rather than trying to sell anything. We do plan to have 3-4 sponsors helping to fund the trip. Ideally, we would have an area to incorporate the sponsors logo and maybe a website in the wrap.

If and where do you think we might run into trouble with this idea. Will there be problems staying at RV parks? Will we run into problems being classified as a commercial vehicle.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Tom
A law enf. officer would probably require you to have a CDL. I would.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Another issue might be insurance. They would probably want a higher rate since it being used for a commercial enterprise.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'd bet that you will have issues staying at many RV parks.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Stayed at a county park in Reston Va, which had a guy and his family of 7 kids fulltiming and home schooling about a month ago. They were touring DC, and he was there at least a week that I was there. He sold something (I think Vitamins or drinks of some sort) reminded me of Amway. He had an old Prevost and his bus was completely wrapped. I figured it was a way of writing off his expenses against his sales or some angle like that, and drumming up business.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

If the RV is still registered as an RV, there should be no issue with law enforcement.

I would not be surprised to hear that some RV park not allow you to stay in certain areas of their park, or maybe not at all. After all now I'm just learning that some won't let you stay there is your coach is too old in their opinion.

But in any case, any negativity you encounter, would be the opinion of the individual, not a legal matter IMHO.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I really don't think you'll have a problem as long as you are not doing business in the camp ground. If you're there as a camper OK, knocking on doors selling you'll probably get asked to leave.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

You need to have a legal consultation. If it looks commercial, quacks commercial then DOT, LEO, insurance and DMV will probable call it commercial. Now that may be right or wrong but you will be the one fighting it out in court not us..
I for one would not assume to get away with it. A stop by an LEO who decides you are commercial with out a CDL will cost you a HUGE fine and could result in your having your rigged parked until either you can comply or someone with a CDL comes to your rescue
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

I cannot fathom an RV park refusing you because of the color or how your RV is painted, as long as you are not conducting business in the park. Age,length, class, yes but how it is painted ?
As for insurance there are hundreds of business run out of an RV and if there were a claim against the ins company, they may want proof that your business did not cause the claim/damage
Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #10

Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like it's not a good idea.

The crazy thing is we are not selling anything. It is really more like promoting a cause. Yet it might be difficult to explain it to the authorities.
tomdude48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

There are companies that pay people to put wraps on their cars and drive around. It doesn't make people subject to DOT inspections. If you are just driving it around with a wrap I think any officer would be very hard pressed to say it's commercial. If the back end is full of product or promotional gifts than you may have an issue. Freedom of speech will cover your butt on the wrap side though. Something along the lines of my suburban says Chevrolet on the back but its not commercial or my neighbor has a Harley tattoo on his back and I can't assume he sells Harley's.
just4plaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdude48 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like it's not a good idea.

The crazy thing is we are not selling anything. It is really more like promoting a cause. Yet it might be difficult to explain it to the authorities.
Its not necessarily a bad thing. But as I stated our OPINIONS don't count.
You need legal advice. Most good lawyers will give you a free consultation
Don't give up dream. Just do it right
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

A commercial vehicle is vehicle over a specified weight used to transport goods or a bus to transport people for hire. Just wrapping the bus would not make it a commercial vehicle.

U.S. Transportation code

Sec. 548.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a self-propelled or towed vehicle, other than a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight, or gross weight rating of less than 48,000 pounds, that is used on a public highway to transport passengers or cargo."

It goes on to say that it has to be over 15 people for hire, excluding farm equipment and so forth.

Driving with your family and friends is not the same as driving a school bus or a commercial bus such as Grayhound.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
If the RV is still registered as an RV, there should be no issue with law enforcement.

I would not be surprised to hear that some RV park not allow you to stay in certain areas of their park, or maybe not at all. After all now I'm just learning that some won't let you stay there is your coach is too old in their opinion.

But in any case, any negativity you encounter, would be the opinion of the individual, not a legal matter IMHO.

DTW
X2...Law Enforcement is not going to care as long as you are properly licensed for the MH in your State. Just because you put a wrap on it does not make it a Commercial Vehicle, or change the licensing requirements. I would agree the biggest issue will if the Park wants you to stay there or it violates any of their rules, but not a legal matter as far as LE is concerned.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote