Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #1

It could save your life

My summer trips that usualy last 3 to 4 months lasted one day.
I was going up the interstate in Georgia when I was broadsided.
Picture this"
three lane highway
me on the right lane
A pickup passing me on the left; he was in the middle lane
Another car passing that pickup; he was in the third lane
After only getting halfway past the pickup; it turns directly into the pickup, hitting in on the front fender.
The pickup lost control and drove directly into my motorhome, hitting me just behind the rear wheels.
I was going about 55 MPH; the ones passing were going much faster.
After I was hit the motorhome went up on two wheels ( a witness saw this).
By this time I was holding the steering wheel tight trying to steer out of this; all the time my brain kept saying don;t put on the breaks; hit the gas, thank goodness, that is most likley saved me from rolling over.
My wife had her seatbelt on which saved her, everything flew out of the cubberts and most of the drawers popped open and things were flying everywhere.
When the police arrived (they were there in less than a minute); they couldn't understand why we weren't injured; the way the motorhome was. My wife nor I had even a bruse, they had called an ambelance (sorry for my bad spelling) they took the ones in the pickup to the hospital. a man his wife and a small child,
The car that caused the accident took off down the road and there still looking for it.
What a way to start a summer;
I'm back home, I'll put the motorhome and truck in for repair get it fixed and I will hit the road again.
One more note; the pickup hit my toad too. front fender grill bumper and bent the hitch.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Sounds like you were on good old I-75 (White Knuckle Avenue)

Sure glad you and the Mrs. are OK & hopefully they will catch the outer lane knothead!!
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #3

Do you have any pictures of after the wreck.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Do you have any pictures of after the wreck.
not at this time; insurance man will be here tomarrow, I'll try to get pictures, but I'm not real sure how to post them. I just want to get this thing in the shop repaired and get back on the road.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #5

Good Luck and just keep bing thankful that ya'll are still alive. That not braking probably saved you. I have watched that blowout movie several times and hope I can remember it in a crisis like you did.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Robert, I am so glad to hear that you and your wife are OK. You did very well to not panic and hit the brakes. Let us know how bad the damage is and how long it might be before you can hit the road again. Will you be taking the scenic route or the interstate in the future?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #7

Wow!!! What a graphic reminder of needing to know how to react in situations while praying we never need to exercise the skill.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Robert, I am so glad to hear that you and your wife are OK. You did very well to not panic and hit the brakes. Let us know how bad the damage is and how long it might be before you can hit the road again. Will you be taking the scenic route or the interstate in the future?
Interstate; I've put in my estimate close to 500,000 miles on motorhomes, this was my first accident.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #9

wow... that is one of my fears. especially since the pups ride loose in the back. i really need to get them some lookout car seats.

glad you are ok. i am sure i would of been in tears from the scare...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #10

[quote=osomanytoys;517112]wow... that is one of my fears. especially since the pups ride loose in the back. i really need to get them some lookout car seats.

The way things were flying around your pups would have been in for a wild ride.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #11

glad you both are ok, I learned last week that one should be in there seats as well. My wife was up and in the back and I had to stop quick and she went through the shower door. She is ok and Im glad you are ok.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #12

What a rough start to your camping season but glad to hear you and your DW are OK.

I hope your insurance company and body shop take care of the damage properly and have both of you at a campfire again soon....... and that the rest of your season is much smoother!

Mike.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #13

I just purchased the TST tire monitoring system yesterday. We leaving on another 3 month trip and I have been thinking about it for years. I think it is a wise investment and have convinced the DW of it. It hopefully arrives on Monday. I like the rechargable battery concept on the unit itself.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad you and your spouse are ok. This accident reminded me of one I had.

I was on my way to work headed west down the road at posted speed then wham a kid ran a red light and hit my Blazer in the right rear wheel got me up on 2 wheels and changed my direction from west bound to north bound into a parking lot. I came to a stop in an empty parking space between a Suburban and a telephone pole.

A woman that witnessed the accident kept yelling at the kid, who was 16 and only had his license for a couple of months. Finally I had to tell the lady to knock it off, he hit me not you, and if you keep hollering at him he might drive off. I only had the Blazer a couple of months at the time of the accident.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote