Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

its been awhile

Well, I retired Apr. 30, 12 and hubby working part time from rv selling medicare insurance. We sold the house, gave the kids all the furniture and basically bought a 06 hr endeavor. We packed it up and closed on the house and parked in a campground closeby because I had to have some out patient surgery and recuperate before we get on the road. We used to have a pop up camper for 5 years and loved it. Now we are full-timing and getting used to it. It is sometimes difficult. We have a 40 ft rig with a built in office, which is great because of all the storage. We have a cat and two birds, but we all fit in. After getting a few things fixed after the dealer said nothing was wrong, was a trip. We were leaving and shop and no one came out to help guide us out. They knew we turned on the engine and I guess they thought we were ok. There were new rigs all around us, and this was the second time my hubby was driving this thing. To make a long story short, the service advisor left his pickup truck parked in the middle of the lot and my husband went around it. On our way home we get a phone call from him saying we hit his truck. We get home and sure enough we have a hugh gash in our bay door and bent wheel well. Ok we put in a claim with insurance. Then we left the electric awning up all night in beautiful weather and in the middle of the night a storm comes up and mini tornade bends the whole arm mechanism. Our rv dr. came out and ordered new arms, another claim into the insurance. I hope they don't drop us. None of this is covered by our extended warranty we got. Our fridge sprung a leak in the icemaker and the carpet was covered with water. rv dr. came and fixed that. then the ac went out and all batteries were dead. called triple a and they sent a guy who charged us up and told us all our batteries were no good and wanted to sell new ones. Called our dealer and found out we had six brand new batteries and rv dr. told us to get a trickle charger and that did the trick. Still some water coming in the bedroom slide, I think the fridge still is leaking somewhere, but when rv dr comes back to fix the awing I will have him check everything out, but I am having fun, I guess. We have a wedding to go to in Cleveland, in July and hope to do some camping on the way up. I should be sufficiently recovered by them. It is fun cooking, and doing way less cleaning than I ever did in our big house. I have'nt done a lot of smiling yet, but I guess it will happen . Cat and birds better adjusted than me. In a couple of weeks we will get two new front tires and wheel alignment to help wandering on the highway, and off we will go. Hope nothing else happens before then. Had a bad problem with ants but hubby went to pest control store and so far it is doing the job. will keep you all informed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Sound like you got the right attitude and that is the most important thing. When you plan your upcoming trip, double the amount of travel time to allow for problems. Things usually pop up in the beginning, but then get better as you work out the bugs. Use the internet to get experiences. Learn from others mistakes. If you have a smart phone, get some of the campground finding apps. Join some discount clubs like Passport America and enjoy your new life.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

May I make a few suggestions? In a constructive manner?

For the first few miles when starting a trip, the co-pilot shouldn't sit in the passengers seat, but should sit on the couch or that chair behind the passengers seat...that lets the driver fully concentrate.

Don't be afraid to stop and look before driving into, or out of, anyplace that looks at the least bit a little tight.

Put pieces of colored tape on the window that marks the center of a lane.

Find an open parking lot with lanes and practice parking and moving out of a space.

Watch buses and trucks...turn like them. If you're following a GPS to a destination, if a bus or truck is using that route, you should be able to make it too.

Never back into a space without having a good idea of what is behind, on each side, and above the space. I travel alone, but don't feel the least bit shy about jumping out to look as many times as I need. Even when I might be blocking traffic. I've even left an RV park to look for a different place to spend the night if it was dark and I couldn't see well enough.

Arriving late at a RV park doesn't mean you have to park by yourself, often they'll have a manager or camp host that will guide you into a space.

Remember that you'll both get to be seasoned veterans after a short time in your rig.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Hit the Road,

12 years ago our dealer very nicely lined the coach up between the gate posts on his driveway so we wouldn't do any damage. That was the last time anyone worried about our ability to maneuver the coach.

Today, with over 150,000 miles under our tires we seldom try to maneuver in tight places without the navigator getting down on the ground and watching for the stupid thing the driver is about to do, this has saved us a lot of money.

We also trade off on the driving 50/50 this lets her do as many stupid things as me. It also means that if I am tired or want a beer at lunch we can still move on down the road with DW (that's "dearest wife") at the wheel and me napping. Has worked well for us for many miles.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

We spent a lot of years with walkie talkies and now use cell phones and try to keep things short and crisp. My wife used to give me a paragraph when one word was best. Use words like CLEAR and STOP and develop a few hand signals. Have the wife get out even when it seems unnecessary. Better safe than sorry. Don't ever yell at your spotter.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We have learned a few things over the years:
1. Never back up without a spotter--in my case my wife. Spotter should see my mirrors and move from side to side.
2. We generally us walkie-talkies when backing out of the drive way so she can warn me about oncoming traffic.
3. Keep the signal simple! We have four simple back up signals which all have to do with where she wants me to put the BACK END of the MH. She faces the back of the MH so I can see her in the mirror. When she raises her right arm to a horizontal position, I move the coach back to the right. Same with left arm. Two arms straight in the air--straight back. Two arm crossed in the air---STOP. Sometimes when we are in a tight spot she will show me how far to back up by holding her two hand apart and closing them until time to stop.
4. We go to a lot of tailgates and rallys. There is only one person I will let park me--my wife. Other people, while trying to be helpful, are pointing in all direction, swing their hands in the air, etc.
5. My suggestion: go to somewhere with a big vacant parking lot and practice. Put some cones out in back and practice backing through them. Drive around and come in at different angles. Also, put some cones alongside the coach and practice pulling out on to a street without hitting the cones. It could save some $$$ later. I know, we've all been there.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

When a park employee or helpful camper tries to "help" direct you in, have your wife stand behind him and just ignore the "helper". I have had guys take me to the site with a golf cart and think they put me right into the site never knowing, I had no idea what their arm flailing was all about. My wife and I were doing in on speaker phone.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having been parked by "pros" at FMCA Rallies where the Parking crew know their stuff, I will trust cg staff who show by their signalling and positioning that they know what they are doing.

One method I have seen and use myself when I am ground guide is to stand by the driver side window and offer guidance from there. This is dependent on surveying the site for clearance on the passenger side and overhead before moving. Knowing where I want the driver side rear wheel lets me talk in a soft calm voice to DW as we walk the coach back into the position.