Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
No you don't have a 10,000 kwh or 10 megawatt hour battery. You have a 7200 watt/hr battery or 7.2 kwh if your bank is 12v.

1,000,000 watt/hr / 1500 watts = 667 hours of run time or about 27 days continuous.

You don't run your whole battery down, just like you wouldn't use up all your fuel with a generator, you save enough to drive out to charging station. Solar would help you extend your stay.
Yes you are right, got decimals mixed up. 10000 kwh is beyond my imagination. Solar would help, but I have almost 1500 watts and can only get 3 or 4 kwh's a day in idea conditions.
Not sure where the nearest charging station is from Quartzite.
Now it costs about $100 per kw/hr for the battery bank, so definitely in the far future for rv's.
https://electrek.co/2018/05/02/tesla...ase-elon-musk/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our gas-powered motorhome will easily go 400 miles on a full "charge" in the gas tank, then it takes 10 minutes to bring the gas tank back up to 100% "charge". When electric motorhomes can compete with that, then they might gain a footing.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Our gas-powered motorhome will easily go 400 miles on a full "charge" in the gas tank, then it takes 10 minutes to bring the gas tank back up to 100% "charge". When electric motorhomes can compete with that, then they might gain a footing.

....can't imagine this electric mess will ever be able to match the range of my gas MH anytime soon. When and if the do I will be too old to drive one.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #46

Getting a 25 foot Motorhome to go 400 miles is not a big issue. For the time being the lack of charging infrastructure is the hold back. Although charging infrastructure is developing well for the electric vehicle industry the size of RV’s makes it very difficult to access the facilities. Most are back or nose in affairs. Some forethought will be needed to allow drive thru access. Former gas stations would work for smaller RV’s and they’ll be first on the scene.

EV friendly campgrounds would be s better solution. A second dedicated 50 amp 14-50 plug would work in many cases if the user was staying for a couple days. Not so great for the overnight crowd as overnight would get you about 120 KW. Initial infrastructure installation cost would be big but utilities would probably see it as an opportunity and kick in some of the development costs. They are already doing that with Chademo CCS and Supercharger sites. Long term revenue security.

Lots of changes coming in the next couple decades.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #47

We just stayed at a small, older, campground in a very rural area. They have been doing upgrades, but only some of the sites have 50-amp service. I can't imagine campgrounds like this would be remotely able to provide charging services for one, let alone a dozen of their customers at one time. They have trouble keep stable service for what they already have, given the rural grid in the area.

Lot's of infrastructure improvements needed before these things are going to start flying out of the dealers showrooms.

However, for all those using a small rig for tailgating or short weekend jaunts where they can charge at home? Possibly.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
We just stayed at a small, older, campground in a very rural area. They have been doing upgrades, but only some of the sites have 50-amp service. I can't imagine campgrounds like this would be remotely able to provide charging services for one, let alone a dozen of their customers at one time. They have trouble keep stable service for what they already have, given the rural grid in the area.

Lot's of infrastructure improvements needed before these things are going to start flying out of the dealers showrooms.

However, for all those using a small rig for tailgating or short weekend jaunts where they can charge at home? Possibly.
I tend to agree. Around here most camp with a 150 km of home. But I think there will also be a market for campgrounds with a few EVRV spots once EVRV’s start to come out. Maybe half a dozen spots with clipper creek 80 amp EVSE’s on each site. I would imagine just like every other EV on the road EVRV’s will use a J1772 connected for max compatibility.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
Wow for me this would never work
Not enough places to visit within 125 miles
Make that 62.5 miles if you want to get home. I can see it now, a CG owner says " your electric bill is $137 for the week."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #50

I am all for electric especially if they can perfect it to perform like a fossil fuel vehicle. My wife and my next car will be electric we drive less the 10 miles a day. I can say that because living in Washington state electricity is basically free compared to a large portion of the country. My power bill for a 3400 square foot house is only 160 bucks a month compared to 350 per month for a 1900 square foot home when I lived in phx
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Make that 62.5 miles if you want to get home. I can see it now, a CG owner says " your electric bill is $137 for the week."
More than likely the campground wouldn’t get involved in the motive electricity billing. Just the regular campground electricity you use for camping billing. Maybe leave it to a a company like Chargepoint or Flo. Pull in, swipe your flow RFID card on the Chargepoint or Flo or EVGO EVSE and start your charge. Then hook up your RV to the standard campground electrical hookup.

So let’s say home power rate us 15 cents per kilowatt hour, commercial EVSE is normally double or more the home rate so 30 to 40 cents a kilowatt hour. Let’s say say you take on 200 kWh. Your bill for your motive power would be 60 to 80 bucks. A large class B Motorhome would maybe go 500 km on that. Meh. It’s doable.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hard Pass, thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

There ya have it! Summed up nicely. Talk to me when we get here AND cost is the same AND the technology is mature and reliable.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
There ya have it! Summed up nicely. Talk to me when we get here AND cost is the same AND the technology is mature and reliable.
Meh. Lots of people don’t travel more than a couple kilometres a day unless they are dead heading. 300 km is a long day for us when we are touring. Plus no annoying gas station stops.

It’ll be a decade before campground EVSE’s show up. Electric trucks pulling trailers will come first. The campgrounds will respond accordingly.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Electric motorhomes are coming: a new RV powered by solar panels and 91 kWh battery pack

Now a new prototype of an actual full-size electric motorhome shows that it’s possible.

https://electrek.co/2017/09/18/elect...solar-battery/
No question that it is possible and has been for a while, just not practical. No reason to get all worked up about it though it will be quite some (many years) time before it becomes practical.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a feeling that electric RV will be the 8 track/cassette in the progression to less emissions. By the time all of the issues are sorted out a new technology/fuel source will be there as a better alternative.

Tags
electric, motorhome, winnebago