Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
It's just a "thing". It can be fixed. I keep telling myself

Stupid bonehead move parking in a new covered parking space today. I couldn't see a pole and foolishly turned away - the wrong way - to avoid hitting it.
BOOM!
Worse yet it practically popped the rear cap off of the back of the coach.

I feel sick, and stupid. Did I mention I feel sick?

PS. I think I'm going to go back to my old non-covered parking spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	225280  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the most elite member's only club. Not everyone is admitted. Most are never invited.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #3

Oh man..I feel for ya..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Yikes, sorry to read that.

Hope it does not cost too much to repair.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #5

so sorry. feel your pain. hope you were headed into storage, and not prepping for a new adventure.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #6

Ouch. Sorry about your tail swing problem and damage. Yes, it's only a "thing" and you will get over it, but that doesn't help with the bonehead feelings now.
We had a Winnebago gasser on a Workhorse chassis that took over 40 acres to turn around. DW took out the passenger front valence in a parking lot bumping up on a big log along the side of the lot. After getting over our "OH, Sh*t," discussion, we made temporary repairs and went along on our trip. It made for share-a-beer, I've had this happen to me" conversations with other campers and ended up being an ice-breaker for spending time with nice people.

Since we've made permanent repairs, we kinda miss having our ice-breaker conversation starter out there for folks to ask about!

Hang in there. It's just "stuff." And stuff happens. Good luck and maybe I'll see you down the road.
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Welcome to the most elite member's only club. Not everyone is admitted. Most are never invited.

Yes, joining this club means you have to "crash" it!
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

Pulled in for fuel and after filling up thought I could drive completely around the station....nope.

It went to a cul-de-sac type of area with a gift store at end.

No big deal....I can turn this truck and 5vr around in a normal two lane street....sweeping cul-de-sac Shoot I got this.

And about half way thru that 180* turn WHACK......oops I did NOT account for 'tail swing' and the backend of the truck parked in front of gift store.
The rear cap passenger side looked JUST LIKE YOURS. (Left rear tail-light on truck was busted and bumper scraped which $100 cash resolved with owner of truck)
$350 bucks to have recap reset/rescrewed/recaulked by an RV place in Coos Bay OR

Tail Swing......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
Ouch! Sorry to see and know that sick feeling, but I am thinking it may go back on easier than you think and be easier to repair than if it had been hit

Be careful about driving it like that. It could turn into a sail!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

Don't be to hard on yourself, I once forgot to put my tail gate back down after having to fix some fuses for my landing legs, oops, when I heard the crunching I knew immediately what I had done. Guess what? I probably won't make that mistake again but then there is always the next one.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

I ride motorcycles. I parked my trike on a guardrail this summer. One would think I could see it wouldn't one?
Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #12

creativepart-

I've built a whole subdivision called "regret." I don't like to visit there; all of the walls are out of plumb, none of the floors are level, and the corners aren't square.

Taking a turn to the lighter side, perhaps there are wiring improvements you'd like to make while the end cap is "ajar."

Seriously, I sympathize. After I damaged a rear compartment door, I beat myself up pretty badly. But, you know what? My body shop guys are geniuses- Michelangelos of aluminum, fiberglass and paint. The damage gave me the chance to see their expert work (and the expert work of the shop to which they subcontracted the door skin). Perhaps you'll discover some great craftsmen (put them on retainer if you do!) as you get your coach's damage repaired.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Never done that (YET) but I can imagine how sick it would make you!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When I purchased my RV and went for the first test drive my salesman warned me of "Tail Swing" and how quickly a little tap could turn really nasty. So, I've watched for it time and time again.

Today, I saw what looked like me about to hit the pole and thought, "Quick turn away for there you don't want to hit th....BOOM.

It looks like I drove about 5-feet from the first contact and I swear I thought I drove 12" or less.

I'm planning on having National Indoor RV in Lewisville do the repair work. Progressive insurance works closely with them and there are not good RV Repair shops around San Antonio. Iron Horse RV is always booked 4-months out and Ancira, in my experience, makes you wait a month before they start, a month for the work to be completed and you still have to return to have the work re-done. Not that I've used them for body shop stuff.

I plan on running a wide woven strap from one side to the other across the bottom part of the cap to keep it from becoming a sail.

We leave for our winter trip to Tucson the first week of January so it will take quick action to get this in and back to us in time for the trip.