Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW that winder giving up the ghost would surely increase the pucker factor.
lucky you are it didn't get worse
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
best bet is find a sheltered spot, and park the rear of the coach into the wind. thats what i do when wind is an issue. west of texas, you will find sand with the wind. sometimes so bad you cant see. just wait it out.

paul maddox

While reading these posts I thought of what I'd do when encountering high wind like this in my Class C. Since the front end is at least a little more aerodynamic than the back end, I think it would be best to park nose into the wind.

I'm open to discussion. What do you think? Perhaps vary according to class?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
While reading these posts I thought of what I'd do when encountering high wind like this in my Class C. Since the front end is at least a little more aerodynamic than the back end, I think it would be best to park nose into the wind.

I'm open to discussion. What do you think? Perhaps vary according to class?
Just brainstorming here but I think the blunt end into the wind is well..... blunt. It's drag coefficient would be the same as a like sized sheet of plywood.
The pointy end of a Class C OTOH might have a slightly smaller drag coefficient but the part overhanging the cab presents a horizontal flat surface that forms a lifting surface. No telling what and how much of an affect that might have on the coach or the structure of the living quarters in very strong winds.
Anybody got a wind tunnel and a Class C they're not real fond of? Without data, I got nothing.🧐
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #32

Glad i seen this post before our trip next week. I got a roll of speed tape from workClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	238309 not that i expect to ever have this problem, but u really never know so i will keep this in the motorhome from now on
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
Glad i seen this post before our trip next week. I got a roll of speed tape from workAttachment 238309 not that i expect to ever have this problem, but u really never know so i will keep this in the motorhome from now on
Good idea. If you don't already have them I would suggest you also get the emergency triangles that every CMV is required to have on board and used when disabled on a roadside. I was really glad I had them stopped in that acceleration lane. The traffic was heavy and fast moving.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 03-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Just brainstorming here but I think the blunt end into the wind is well..... blunt. It's drag coefficient would be the same as a like sized sheet of plywood.
The pointy end of a Class C OTOH might have a slightly smaller drag coefficient but the part overhanging the cab presents a horizontal flat surface that forms a lifting surface. No telling what and how much of an affect that might have on the coach or the structure of the living quarters in very strong winds.
Anybody got a wind tunnel and a Class C they're not real fond of? Without data, I got nothing.🧐

In my opinion it’s not about reducing the drag when parked but reducing potential damage. The rear of most motor homes have no glass and the class A’s typically have a steel structure then a void with somewhat flexible fiberglass that could withstand flying debris better than a large opening and just expensive glass that you will need later to get home and keep weather out. Also makeshift rear light repairs are much easier than headlight repairs. Probably the most important areas to protect are the windshield and the radiators. Just thank God your not camping in a pop up trailer.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Good idea. If you don't already have them I would suggest you also get the emergency triangles that every CMV is required to have on board and used when disabled on a roadside. I was really glad I had them stopped in that acceleration lane. The traffic was heavy and fast moving.

I have em
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not at liberty to say. There may not be a statute of limitations.
Found some 200 MPH racers tape at https://pitstopusa.com/search.html?q=isc+racers+tape

2"x180 feet was 8.97 +14.97 shipping. I ordered yellow tape so I won't get it mixed up with my duct tape.

Amazon has it but is outrageous on price and does not list2". Amazon users rate it about 4 1/2 stars.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by btolle View Post
Found some 200 MPH racers tape at https://pitstopusa.com/search.html?q=isc+racers+tape

2"x180 feet was 8.97 +14.97 shipping. I ordered yellow tape so I won't get it mixed up with my duct tape.

Amazon has it but is outrageous on price and does not list2". Amazon users rate it about 4 1/2 stars.
IMO if it has a cloth backing it's "duck" tape and is not very strong. If it has a thin metal backing it is "duct" tape or "100 mph" tape and is stronger. If it has a thicker stiffer metal backing it is "1000 mph" tape and is strong enough to make small temporary non-critical repairs to the aluminum skin of an aircraft capable of supersonic speeds.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0k0la View Post
i'll post a follow up when I get to wherever. Thanks
So how are you getting along?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
In my opinion it’s not about reducing the drag when parked but reducing potential damage. The rear of most motor homes have no glass and the class A’s typically have a steel structure then a void with somewhat flexible fiberglass that could withstand flying debris better than a large opening and just expensive glass that you will need later to get home and keep weather out. Also makeshift rear light repairs are much easier than headlight repairs. Probably the most important areas to protect are the windshield and the radiators. Just thank God your not camping in a pop up trailer.
The steel structure in the cabin of most if not all Class A's these days ends right behind the driver's and pax's seats. Aft of that it's all aluminum framing. That's why, IMHO, it's dangerous for anyone to ride back in the cabin of a Class A regardless of whether or not they are wearing seatbelts.
I presume this was done to save weight so the glampers can have their granite countertops, tile floors and tile showers without having to upgrade their chassis, axles, suspensions and brakes.
I suppose I'll be getting some flak from some glampers. [emoji41] Oh well.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #40

Quote:
The steel structure in the cabin of most if not all Class A's these days ends right behind the driver's and pax's seats. Aft of that it's all aluminum framing. That's why, IMHO, it's dangerous for anyone to ride back in the cabin of a Class A regardless of whether or not they are wearing seatbelts.
I presume this was done to save weight so the glampers can have their granite countertops, tile floors and tile showers without having to upgrade their chassis, axles, suspensions and brakes.
I suppose I'll be getting some flak from some glampers. [emoji41] Oh well.

My Monaco is an all steel, square tube walls, but I don’t doubt some use aluminum like the travel trailers do.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
My Monaco is an all steel, square tube walls, but I don’t doubt some use aluminum like the travel trailers do.
My 2005 Knight has the driver's compartment framed in steel. Aft of that all the framing is aluminum.
What year is your Dynasty? Perhaps the higher end of the line models had more steel. If so, I stand corrected.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #42

Quote:
My 2005 Knight has the driver's compartment framed in steel. Aft of that all the framing is aluminum.
What year is your Dynasty? Perhaps the higher end of the line models had more steel. If so, I stand corrected.

2004 Monaco Dynasty. Im pretty sure the slides use steel too. This is the Roadmaster chassis designed originally by Chrysler. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6794.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	238463

Tags
texas