Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's taken me almost 2 days to post this - wind storm Texas

OMG. I'm into the second week of full rv timing after selling my farmette in Wisconsin. I've been to family visits in Houston and Fayetteville, Ar and headed back to my dealer in AZ. Hit the road outside Amarillo, Tx yesterday morning headed west. A little breezy but as I traveled west it was becoming seriously windy. West of Tucomcari and looking for a place to pull off the interstate. Winds, as I found later were gusting 80, sustained at 60. All of a sudden my windshield detached from the passenger side and folded backwards at about the 25% point. HOLY ,,,,, Fortunately had an exit right ahead. Pulled off and got my short ladder out and duck taped the window down as best I could. Drove 40 miles to a campground in Santa Rosa NM. Check out the pics. No real end game help here, I will follow this up with the rest of the story, but I got super help from the campground owner, Chris, with the local body shop repair to duck tape the windshield back with the hope I could at least make it to Albuquerque. Spell that with no help. Anyway, I'm trying to get there at least tomorrow and to home base in Mesa, AZ if possible.
I've been researching windshield problem on Monaco products and I'm amazed at what I'm finding. My previous ride was a Windsor and never a problem like this but it seems like my problem happens a lot WITHOUT 80mph winds.
Hey I'm a new guy here but I love this site. Sorry if this should have been on some blog site but this subject of shoddy windows is a general subject of comment.
I'm leaving in the morning so if you have a comment about my safety or others, please respond. i will check the site before leaving. There is no real help here.
Thanks, R0k0la
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

glad your ok and it wasn't worse
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

It's take me almost 2 days to post this - wind storm Texas

I live in Tuscola tx outside of Abilene and the winds have been real bad for 3days. Glad we dont leave for Az for another week. We allways have our phones on for weather warnings and i believe our garmin 770rv will warn us of weather ahead. Last year on the outskirts of Albuquerque on i40 the sky turned black mid afternoon, so we pulled into a gas station/souvenier place to wait it out.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

Oops missed posting the pics. Here they areClick image for larger version

Name:	Wind blow out 31319.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	238093
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape fix.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	238094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide blow off 31319.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	238095  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blew off the slide awning 31319.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	238096  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

Glad noone is injured, stuff can be replaced,fixed, repaired with money, lives cannot be restored.
It's not good to travel in hazardous weather, hope you are holed-up somewhere until the weather improves. Remember the old addage, it's better late than never.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #6

I'm so sorry about the orientation of the pics. I've had trouble with this. Thanks for your concern. Actually, I'm worried most about headed out tomorrow with duck tape between me an Nature . Wish me luck and say a prayer
Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #7

Me too, but I left and the wind was blowing but not that bad. Down the road the gusts were amazing. No place to pull over. Just kept going forward. One of those unfortunate
events
Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

i'll post a follow up when I get to wherever. Thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #9

Glad you are alright. We are getting ready to head to AZ, the Grand Canyon. I'm praying the weather gets better.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #10

Those winds made it to me in Louisville KY! We're at a huge dog show at the Exposition Center parked amongst hundreds of RVs and glad they are somewhat sheltering us as we're kinda in the middle.

It's been super windy, the ATIS from the airport said 25-30 with gusts of 45 although news reports on TV said winds were as high as 70 in some places today and also we were under tornado watch from about 1pm till 6pm!

Get me back to SoCal!!!!! I'll take earthquakes any day
Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
Those winds made it to me in Louisville KY! We're at a huge dog show at the Exposition Center parked amongst hundreds of RVs and glad they are somewhat sheltering us as we're kinda in the middle.

It's been super windy, the ATIS from the airport said 25-30 with gusts of 45 although news reports on TV said winds were as high as 70 in some places today and also we were under tornado watch from about 1pm till 6pm!

Get me back to SoCal!!!!! I'll take earthquakes any day
Welcome to Louisville, freezing one week, 70's the next.

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We're really glad you are okay and it was just a windshield. Just saw a video on the news tonight of an 18 wheeler being completely blown over on I-40 just outside of Amarillo.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Wow. Glad you are ok!

I had the rivets blow out on one of my tarps from a side gust but your windshield basically buckling, don’t like seeing that. Did it have any chips or signs of fracture previously?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #14
Commercial Member

best bet is find a sheltered spot, and park the rear of the coach into the wind. thats what i do when wind is an issue. west of texas, you will find sand with the wind. sometimes so bad you cant see. just wait it out.

paul maddox
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas