Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Afraid I have use all the remedies only one I found that worked was the old wire snap trap with a little peanut butter.
I had a mouse in our house last week. With two cats no less!

I have always used peanut butter and had good success. This time I had a smart ass mouse. He was somehow able to eat the peanut butter without springing the trap. Not once but 4 times. The next time he spring the trap and I could see a smear mark. I suspect he got a bit of a headache from that meal. Sixth time was the charm!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I had a mouse in our house last week. With two cats no less!

I have always used peanut butter and had good success. This time I had a smart ass mouse. He was somehow able to eat the peanut butter without springing the trap. Not once but 4 times. The next time he spring the trap and I could see a smear mark. I suspect he got a bit of a headache from that meal. Sixth time was the charm!
I think in this case Les, you had fattened him up so he could not move so fast to dodge the wire....

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One time I inadvertently learned that a Reese Peanut Butter Cup will kill a mouse. They love chocolate and peanut butter so much, they'll eat themselves to death. (as chocolate will kill a cat or a dog, I guess it also works on mice)
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have added this info in another thread maybe useful to some people.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #19

The Dealer told me to stuff dryer sheets all over the inside of the camper. He seen other motor home users doi that and they say it deters them as they sdon't like the smell. I have not personally seen any but when we opened a wall inside the forward cabinets to run a HDMI cable we found a bundle of wires all skined down to the wires obviously a mouse and also found mouse dudu down in the basement area near the fuse box. I wish I could hot wire the entire rig so if they touch it they get fried immediately. I did that over in England with 240 volt wire around the gararge and fried an average of two-three a week as they came in out of the fields nearby.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk960 View Post
What do you mean Irish Spring? Is this a mouse deterrent?
Mice are dirty little buggers by nature, so maybe Irish spring soap to them is like daylight to a vampire.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #21

Hmm, I winterized last weekend but I still need to set traps up as we had mouse damage found when we opened the wall up inside the cabinets to run HDMI cable from the flat screen TV to the cabinet where the digital all hooks up next to the entry door. Looks like he climbed the wires up from the engine area and walked all the way along the celling where the wires run. They had to replace about four wires lucky none were touching each other so they did not short out. I put all 6 tires on top of 3/4 inch plywood as a freeze barrier but long enough where I can move the tires an inch every month to prevent flat spots, helps the engine and generator to have them run for 30 minutes a month all so which is why I park it with a full gas tank for the Winter. Iam a jet mechanic by trade so I know the value of keeping the internal engine parts coated with oil especially when in storage, helps keep the battery toped up as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
When I winterize my rig I have my fluids and filters changed and do a general look around to see if I have any issues, I put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and fill the tank to keep moisture out, I drain the water lines and fill them with RV antifreeze, I put a few moth ball around the inside, basement, engine and generator compartments, I install a reusable mouse trap (a bucket with a top that is smaller in diameter held on with wire that has antifreeze in the bottom 4 inches, the top has pernut butter on 2 sides of it.) When the mouse steps on the top to get the peanut butter it falls in the bucket and can't get out, good bye mouse. I than put my cover on the rig. I start it every 2 or 3 weeks and let it run for 30 minutes, I also move it ahead and back a few feet. The rig is parked on ashfault, I've often thought about parking it on planks but have not done it, any suggestions on these or other steps I could add ?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any chance of getting a couple of pictures of your home-made reusable mouse trap? it sounds interesting and self-bating
Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Any chance of getting a couple of pictures of your home-made reusable mouse trap? it sounds interesting and self-bating
I googled it and found this:

When they jump to/on the can, they fall in and die...

Found it HERE...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
My Mother-in-Law taught me that one some time ago, and it works!

FYI:
It's drowning that kills the mice- water works, too, but in climates with freezing weather folks use antifreeze, for obvious reasons...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #26

Hey Mr_D,
I recently purchased a '96 39' Newmar Kountry Aire DP and would like to use it occasionally during the winter so I didn't want to winterize it and was wondering if I put a couple of heaters in it and left them on low would that work to keep the pipes from freezing while it's parked? I have it plugged in to shore power at my house. I live in Edmonds so I was wondering if that's enough for the occasional days we get that are below freezing. I figured our weather was similar. What kind of heaters do you use? I was going to buy a couple of dehumidifiers like what I used in my boat that emit a very low heat but a friend pointed out that the boat was fiberglass and this is metal so I might need to use something different. Also what's the wet bay that you are referring to?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121022-00259.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	28295
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
I saw a reference to "putting a light bulb in the water bay area" to keep the water from freezing. If it is a simple light fixture what wattage is used?