Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judypupek View Post
Wish I could convince my husband to become a snow bird, but until that time, I guess we will be blowing out the plumbing, adding RV anti-freeze and putting Irish Spring soap here and there.....I hope it works this winter! Don't relish the thought of cleaning up mouse do-do in the spring!!!
get a cat they are the best way to keep mice out of your rig !!
Happy RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #30

Winterizing???

Good Morning everyone, We are finally in a Class A Motorhome, 2011 Coachmen Encounter bought new in January of this year. It is a gas engine which we seem to really like alot. I will be storing mine inside a pole barn with a cement floor, should I still put something under my tires for protection. Also, Mine came with a ADCO cover that I was thinking about putting on even though it will be indoors, is this recommended or not? Should I also cover my wheels? Other than putting dryer sheets through out the inside of the motorhome plus a few mouse traps just in case, are there any ideas of what to put around the wheels so mice wont come inside. I have heard that red pepper was a good deterent? As you see I have alot of questions as a rookie in this. Is it true that I should start the motorhome at least once a month? Thanks for all the help.
Brent
bjburkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjburkhalter View Post
Good Morning everyone, Is it true that I should start the motorhome at least once a month? Thanks for all the help.
Brent
the chassis engine AND the generator with a load on it.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
the chassis engine AND the generator with a load on it.
Thanks for the info, I will do both. Any help with any of the other questions that I had?
bjburkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjburkhalter View Post
Thanks for the info, I will do both. Any help with any of the other questions that I had?
I do not see any advantage to a cover unless you have birds that might du-du on your rig. I have a couple of plastic owls hanging inside the building to deter birds from flying in when I open the doors. when I start mine I pull it out of the building, so a cover would be a pita. also why cover your wheels? the covers are to protect them from the sun. if you keep it plugged in make sure mice cannot get in where the cable enters. steel wool to fill any gaps works well. I keep decon at varios locations around the inside of my building. if they eat that they will go looking for water, not a warm place in your rv. I make sure my tires are aired up to the max and park on the concrete, but I am not saying nothing under your tires is the right way to go. if you are not plugged in to ac turn off you battery disconect switch or your house battery will go dead and freeze. make sure you turn it on when you start your engine so the coach batteries will charge.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a question, I have an 08 Revolution LE it is going to get 10 f tonight. am I ok leaving the heaters on or do I need to blow the water out?

Thanks Wes
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your furnace pumps heat down under to tanks and plumbing bay you should have no problem, if not better winterize.
Have been traveling and dry camping in 1* weather for a few days with out a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks 007

I went ahead and blew lines out wouldn't have slept well otherwise.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wes, now that you did blow out water it maybe best to pump some anti through lines to protect the valves in toilets and any pipe fittings that may still collect water in them from condensation with warm and cold days.
For those that asked if you have changed your oils for winter and run engine to cycle it once thats done leave the coach engine alone during winter months, put it asleep as a bear in its den.
Do run your GEN and AC's to keep them in good running condition.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello 007

You know I have been trying to avoid using the pink stuff or anything in the HM potable water system I blew out lines, disconnected water pump, put pink into all traps and washing machine, I just had her serviced and plan on using her at times during the winter. I plan on a full blow out again today to make sure nothing in left.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm the same way I blow the lines out with air, toilet , and even run washer with air pressure on lines, then put antifreeze in all the traps.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've blew out all of the water lines and refilled with RV antifreeze, i filled all of the traps also, my question is do you leave the jacks down and RV level for the winter or should the jacks be left retracted?
Implumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
I leave my jacks up so the pistons stay clean after applying silicone spray than wiping off, plus I have plywood under tires to keep off the drive way or ground.
I try to get the most years out of my Michelin, some people put covers on tires also.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I stack wood blocks almost to touching the jacks, then lower jacks enough to take the weight off the tires, put a little grease on exposed piston.