Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a great idea with the blocks. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Finally had to winterize (dang)

I waited as long as I could to winterize my MH this year so that I will not be in hibernation more than a few months. I just drained the fresh water tank & water heater, put the bypass device in place of my water filter, blew out the system with air, and then added the pink stuff to all P Traps. We normally only see the teens a day or two and maybe the twenty’s a couple dozen days from Dec – Mar so adding the pink stuff to my whole water systems seems an overkill.

As soon as I finished winterizing my wife ask “when we can take it out next”. She’s already getting the shakes and I think that I saw some hair starting to grow on the tops of her knuckles.

I plan in getting one or two of the Davis Air Dryr devices for the inside to help reduce the moisture from the temperature swings.

Anyone have any luck with these?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #45

At what temps do you need to winterize? I live in Southern California but at the foothills and while we don't get snow it has dropped to the high 30's some nights.

Do I need to winterize?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #46

At that temperature you Do not need to winterize, the only way you would need it was if it drooped into the low 30's and everyday not just for a day or two. Joe
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
At that temperature you Do not need to winterize, the only way you would need it was if it drooped into the low 30's and everyday not just for a day or two. Joe
Awesome, thanks. When it does happen it's only for a couple hours at night and then it's 60* for the rest of the day.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As we all know 32 is the freeze point, wind and humidly also play a part, and the for how long it’s at or below 32. With this said if 30-32 for only a short period of time you should be ok. Also a light bulb can help greatly, the heat they put off can often save winterizing in places like southern California.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #49

We have had some inordinately cold weather here in eastern NC for the past couple of weeks. We are headed to Florida for a rally on Jan 31 and I didn't want to completely winterize my Allegro Bus and then turn around and undo the whole thing. I have 50 amp house power hooked up so I drained all water (black and gray included), put a small space heater in the basement, put a larger one topside, put a light bulb (100W) in the outside icemaker door, dumped pink stuff down toilet and all gray water drains. Everything stays warm so far and it's noon and ice is still hanging off the trees. We'll see how it worked out in a couple of days when I crank everything up and get out of here.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #50

i live in central pa. Temps range form highs in the 30s with a 50 in there once in a while (just a reminder of whats to come in the spring i guess) to lows in the single digits. Thats not counting any wind chill. I have never winterized before because i have never had a motorhome/ camper before. I blew out all the water lines and dumped pink stuff down the drains and in the black and gray tanks. I thought that if there is no water in the lines nothing can freeze and break. I hope that this was enough so nothing broke. I dont really want to add to the thread of things not to do. I guess I will find out around the end of march when i put water in it and hope nothing leaks fingers crossed.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #51
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of people do what you do, Brian & it works for them. I never trusted that some water didn't pool somewhere in the system so we pump the pink stuff through all the lines. Like you stated, you'll find out soon enough come spring.

Did you empty the hot water tank? If anything, that'd be the item I'd be most concerned about in your situation.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #52

Yes I did empty the hot water tank. I took the plug out when the water stopped running out I put the plug back in and then blew the lines out. I looked all over on my mh and could not any place to pump the pink stuff through. I guess its a little late to think of this now. Maybe next year I will figure out how to fill the water lines with pink stuff. Now I'm just waiting for spring to take the family camping again. Hopefully without having to fix any water lines.