Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile It's time to change my chassis & house batteries

I am about to buy new batteries for DA Coach. Presently I have four 6-volt house batteries and two 12-volt batteries for the chassis. We don't boondock so why have four 6-volt batterie. My thought is to use three 12-volt batteries, Two for the chassis for starting and just one 12-volt for the house. The only time I feel it's needed is the day before going out on the road to start the fridge to cool it down. The house batteries are tied into the solar panel so no need to worry about dead batteries. We store DA Coach @ a storage yard between adventures, so no access to power.

Respectfully,
Carl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

If you "feel" that would provide you with what you need, then by all means do it. Personally, I would never assume just one 12 volt battery would suffice for anything as that battery, in most cases, supply only 100 or so amp hours (50 usable). I'd say an absolute minimum would be deep cycle split battery's, commonly called two 6 volt's providing over 200 amp hours.

Ed

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

Thanks Ed, thats what I am looking for, some good advice.
Carl
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree 100% with Ed. Of course if you never have trouble you can certainly get by. I've just had a few unexpected boondocking situations (one time with failed generator) and I was sure glad I had two 6v CG batteries. Another time I had an old C with one battery and got stuck overnight. The battery was dead overnight running the furnace. To save $80, the lose of piece of mind just ain't worth it.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvik View Post
I am about to buy new batteries for DA Coach. Presently I have four 6-volt house batteries and two 12-volt batteries for the chassis. We don't boondock so why have four 6-volt batterie. My thought is to use three 12-volt batteries, Two for the chassis for starting and just one 12-volt for the house. The only time I feel it's needed is the day before going out on the road to start the fridge to cool it down. The house batteries are tied into the solar panel so no need to worry about dead batteries. We store DA Coach @ a storage yard between adventures, so no access to power.

Respectfully,
Carl

I realize batteries are expensive, but it's usually best to go with the setup that was determined to be best for the rv one has. When people start jury rigging things, the results can usually end up being less than optimal. I'm a believer in the philosophy of having more in case you need it vs not having enough when you need it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
KIX

CVIK, Two golf cart 6 volt batteries hooked in series will provide about 220AH or 110AH of usable energy before they should be recharged. With four 6 volt batteries hook in series / parallel you will have about 220AH of usable energy. Four 6 volt batteries are essentially two 12 volt batteries. The reason they are in two 6 volt packages is that they are easier to handle. A 12 volt battery will not have the AH capacity of two 6 volt batteries.
If I understood your OP you want to use your house batteries to power the reefer controls?
You must have a large solar panel if you depend on that to keep your house battery bank charged.
If I were in your shoes I would consider replacing the four 6 volt battteries wiwth another four 6 volts or at worst case go to two 6 volt batteries.
JMHO YMMV
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
When considering AH ratings, remember that two 6 volt batteries at 100 AH each is still 100 AH at 12 volts. still equal to a 100 AH 12 volt battery.
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the refrigerator run on propane or is it electric only?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #9

Don't get cheap here. Remember 'Anything that can go wrong will go wrong', It is not a good thing to get stuck with not enough amps when you need it.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
cvik.....Personally, I think you're about to make a HUGE mistake. As "JC2" stated, go with what your coach came with. It was engineered with those batteries and that much power. It's hard to tell if you have any slides. If you do, you'll run into issues opening and closing them unless you want to run the generator or connect to shore power to do so.

Most will agree that the engine in your motor home is the heart of the chassis. Your batteries are the heart of the coach....why would you go cheap on such an imnportant issue. People will spend money on frivilous products and every gadget known to get better mileage and then will run out and look for the cheapest battery they can find.

Most EVERY product in your coach runs on 12 volts from your BATTERIES and then is recharged by your charger. Even though you have charger/converter, the batteries work as a cushion for the 12 volt power.

Lastly, you'll have to reconfigure the wiring in your battery bay and most often people run into issues when they do or wish they hadn't. Good luck on your choice.....hope you're not back here later asking why things don't work or you're having wiring/battery issues.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I can see reducing your battery capacity if you never boondock, but what about storage? Your coach is still probably using some house power and it's a nuisance to get it out of storage and find dead house battery(s). Is it stored outdoors, so your solar panel can help? Is the panel big enough to provide a useful charge?

I would not go below 2 x 6v or 2 x 12v batteries, so that you have a minimum of about 200 amp-hours of capacity. That leaves about 100 AH usable (50% discharge level), which should keep things going while in storage or while you prepare for travel.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis