Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

IVacationer XL by Holiday Rambler Water heater

This is only my second time in an RV so this could be complete user error. We cannot get the water to heat. We are in the mountains and the water is cold !!

This RV have both an 110 volt and a propane heater . We currently have both of them on but have tried each separately. You can seen the propane pilot going on but no hot water. We are plugged in to 50 amp electric and have the water hooked up . Can someone give me the steps to get the hot water going ? We are renting this and they did not leave a manual. I have tried on one on and both on. Here is the picture of the control panel. Do I need the water pump on when I am also connected to a water hose ? I thought that I did not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	88027  
Bigmikeacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
first you do not need the water pump on if you are connected to a water supply. All you need is the 90 degree angle valve selected to city water in the bay where you connect the hose.

Second you said the pilot is on but did not say if the heater fires when you select the 12 volt switch to on.

If you connected to shore power, all you need is for the 120 volt switch for the water heater to be on at the panel you posted. You do not need both of them on. The light may or may not come on but it most likely is burnt out on the coach. They do not last that long when on continuously.

Next, there is a bypass valve on the back of the water heater and it may be in the bypass mode. This is a quarter turn valve and you can access it by the curbside (passenger side) compartment just in front of the rear wheels. There is a small access door on the left side back of the compartment and you will need a mirror to see if it is bypass.

If it is not in bypass, and neither the 12 volt or 120 volt switch provides hot water, it will involve troubleshooting the heater control system itself for power. I believe the water heater circuit breaker for the 120 volt element is in the back of the bedroom door on back wall right side. May want to verify that the breaker is not tripped.

Good luck and regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

We have the same coach and as stated above I hope you had water in your hotwater tank otherwise you have burnt out your heater. Assuming you do have water,,,,,,,, on our coach I have to purge the propane before anything will light. I put one of the stove top burners on and light with lighter until fully lit. Now it's purged and everything else will work. Keep in mind that the 120 heater will take some time to heat the water. If your unsure if heater is bipassed as previously posted you could pull on the water pressure relief valve on waterheater if water comes out your in good shape.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

Heater on

Right now we are trying the propane heater. It seems to be working but only very lukewarm water at best.

Would I be correct to assume that if it were in bypass mode that the water would not even be lukewarm ?

Do I need to wait for a while or is it an on demand type heater?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

System heat ?

Also I know that i am supposed to have system heat off but what does system heat do ?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
System Heat controls a small electric heater in the storage bay where the water connections and the waste water dump valves are located (aka wet bay). There is a small non-adjustrable thermostat located in that bay that turns the heater on around 40 degrees if the switch on the inside panel is turned on. System Heat has nothing to do with heating water or heating the living area of the coach. It is there to prevent the plumbing in the MH from freezing.

On your hot water problem, if you are using the 12VDC switch, you should hear the main burner kick on 1-3 seconds after flipping the switch. If not, the propane gas lines may need to have the air purged out of the lines as someone else suggested. If your stove does not work, the vapor valve may be turned off at the propane tank. The rental place should have shown you where the vapor valve is because you have to turn it off sometimes when going through tunnels. Water should be hot enough for a shower after about 15 minutes when using propane but you might have to wait 45-60 minutes for hot water using the 120VAC switch.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmikeacu View Post
Right now we are trying the propane heater. It seems to be working but only very lukewarm water at best.

Would I be correct to assume that if it were in bypass mode that the water would not even be lukewarm ?

Do I need to wait for a while or is it an on demand type heater?
You need to give it some time to heat the tank. Its not a demand system.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We have the same coach and as stated above I hope you had water in your hotwater tank otherwise you have burnt out your heater. Assuming you do have water,,,,,,,, on our coach I have to purge the propane before anything will light. I put one of the stove top burners on and light with lighter until fully lit. Now it's purged and everything else will work. Keep in mind that the 120 heater will take some time to heat the water. If your unsure if heater is bipassed as previously posted you could pull on the water pressure relief valve on waterheater if water comes out your in good shape.
We purchased a used HR Vacationer from camping world in Churchville last year and although they assured us they checked everything prior to us picking it up THEY DID NOT CHECK THE WATER HEATER as the valve was still in the bypass position and the tank was bone dry. Luckily I checked this before turning the water heater on for the first time. Haven't had to purge the propane before lighting the water heating by gas.
Super14j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super14j View Post
We purchased a used HR Vacationer from camping world in Churchville last year and although they assured us they checked everything prior to us picking it up THEY DID NOT CHECK THE WATER HEATER as the valve was still in the bypass position and the tank was bone dry. Luckily I checked this before turning the water heater on for the first time. Haven't had to purge the propane before lighting the water heating by gas.
I usually only have to purge if the propane has been turned off for a while.

Tags
heater, water heater, water, cat, holiday rambler, heat