Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: The rule of thumb is that it requires about $1000 for each year of age just to get everything serviced and working. Isn't it fun?? Anyway, you seem to be well on your way. There are probably about 15 or 20 things that you haven't thought about that will require attentiion. It is just part of the joy of owning a coach. Try to learn everything you can about the systems and how they work so that you can maintain things and not have problems as you travel.

Good luck.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Sounds like you did your homework, got a great deal and are genuinely happy with your purchase and I am very happy for you! We jumped into this MH back in May. It was used but it only had 6300 miles! Had to buy new tires, new house batteries, a surge protector and a few odds and ends so that added a few extra thousands to the price, but overall we are incredibly happy with the Bounder!
Keep the shinny side up and the greasy side down!!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
You've been BIZZY

Take your time and enjoy it...

Many things you may buy not may never be used once you determine your 'rv style'
How true that is!!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #18

Hmm.... I was sitting here grumbling about the fact that every time I go to use my coach I find that I have to fix something, and I need tires, and I need a new inverter, and I need carpet cleaning, etc., etc. But apparently everybody with an RV goes through this same evolution, so I guess I should shut-up, pay my dues, and go RVing...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only $7000! You lucky man. Oh, wait, just give it some more time. I'm sure you have heard that a boat is a hole in the water that one just keeps tossing money into.

Well, just think of your new toy as a hole in the road.

Happy trails
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #20

When we bought our first used coach it took a year to get it "right". When we decided to upgrade to a newer one I figured that it would take another year to get it right even though we knew a lot more about what we were doing and what we wanted/needed.

After a year and a half, we are almost "right"... But it never ends and it keep me busy. Not a bad thing!

Enjoy our new RV.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulation on your coach. We spent more than 4,000 with in days ( 8 new tiers plus) ,but still love are coach. I am loving working on it too.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #22

The best thing is that you love it. Sounds like you've done all you need to for a while. Now just kick back and enjoy the ride!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Stallings View Post
When we bought our first used coach it took a year to get it "right". When we decided to upgrade to a newer one I figured that it would take another year to get it right even though we knew a lot more about what we were doing and what we wanted/needed.

After a year and a half, we are almost "right"... But it never ends and it keep me busy. Not a bad thing!

Enjoy our new RV.
You been taken notes on how I do things?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Retired Senior Member

Your story sure sounds familiar. We followed the same storyline in 2005 when we bought our 1998 coach and again this year having recently purchased a 2001. Sounds like you know what you're doing by investing in the maintenance up-front. Good plan. Now relax and enjoy.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Luckily we've been doing the maintenance all along on our rig. Need to change the hoses and coolant (already have the coolant and distilled water). Next is the air filter. Replaced the Dometic cooling unit last year and the tires the year before. It really never ends does it.
But we did get rid of the boat, boat well, monthly moorage fees and yacht club dues years ago too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
You know what the old saying is, "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." It's only money and you can't take it with you. Anything that is left the kids will just fight over anyway. I tell my kids that if there is any thing left over it will be due to improper planning on my part.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #27

Wow ! So far we have not had any big expense with our 89 30' class A mobile traveler.We bought it in Oct for $3750 with 26000 miles on it.New tires and everything worked.I have replaced the dining area with two cabinets and made a table between them.I use two wrought iron chairs for seating.Total cost is less than $50.Bought used and refurbished myself.I then got rid of the couch and put in two upholstered chairs cost $25.Next is to remove the carpet and do alure flooring.We are going to do all the work ourselves and save a bundle.I did have the u joints replaced at a cost of $200.As far as the engine goes I'll do it myselfsince I've worked on automotive engines plenty of times in the passed.Been a mechanic and machinist all my life and just turned 70 this month.I'm lucky that I got this mh at a steal and its in very good cond.
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
You know what the old saying is, "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." It's only money and you can't take it with you. Anything that is left the kids will just fight over anyway. I tell my kids that if there is any thing left over it will be due to improper planning on my part.

Good one!

Tags
motorhome