Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

I've only owned a motorhome for 72 hours and I already spend $7,000

But mostly by choice

I am big on maintenance and so I took the motorhome in and had oil changed, generator serviced, all hoses changed, all belts changed, radiator flushed, thermostat replaced and transmission serviced. While they were doing this I had them go ahead and add 4 new house batteries bringing the bill to just about $2,000.

My lovely wife then talked me into replacing the furniture in the coach, the PO put in some very nice reclining leather couch, lazy boy and table with chairs so there was only 1 bed so the DW wanted more sleeping capacity so we ordered a new sofa sleeper and dinett. This was another $3,000

Replaced every driving light since half were burned out and since the bulbs are $3 but all new lights are $4 I just bought all new lights.

Replaced every gas lever on the storage bay doors since some were failing.

Replaced every opening handle on the storage doors since some were broke, some were original and looked worn and there were 7 keys needed to open them all. Now they are all new, look great and I only need 1 key!

Ordered new metal latches to replace all the plastic ones for the storage doors.

And since we are brand new RVers we had zero supplies so I ordered things like a surge protector, water pressure regulator, RV GPS etc etc.

All in all though I love it! I am a person who loves to tinker so I have enjoyed getting home at night and going out and working on the coach

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Grats on the new coach!

But imo with that much money I would of just popped for a larger coach with less fixing required.. :-\. That is just me though. If it makes you happy, Glad your having fun

Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Way to go! Thumbs up. Glad your having fun, that's what it is all about.

Martin
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We can relate. When we bought our first coach a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion it had only 25K. Obviously when purchased ,2011, she had not been used much but that is not good. so we had to invest in overall maintenance just as you have done. By the time we upgraded the TV's to flat screens, repaired the Dometic frig, set the car up for towing and installed the Invisibrake the figure was approx 10k but she was like new. Just traded the 03 last January and received a great trade in allowance due to good upgrades and documentation to,support everything. We don't throw a single upgrade or maintenance record away. Just say'in!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know THAT feeling when I bought my Adventurer! I knew it would take 6 new tires (price of purchase was appropriate for tire condition) new PI surge protector, filling it up with travel stuff, separate tools, dog crates, and lots of other odds n ends.

If you felt your price factored in doing all this stuff and were happy with it? If you like doing what you are doing? Then...

Enjoy!

Now post some pictures of your work!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoogle View Post
Grats on the new coach!

But imo with that much money I would of just popped for a larger coach with less fixing required.. :-\. That is just me though. If it makes you happy, Glad your having fun
It's a 98 and most coaches we were looking at were 98-01 coaches and all of them needed some stuff. The shop said hoses and belt looked good but I still told them to change them. I would have done this for any coach I bought.

The PO did an oil change in June of 2012 but I wanted to start of a basis so every December/January when my work is the slowest I can do my oil maintenance. I would have done this for any coach we bought so it wouldn't have made a difference.

All of the supplies we bought would have to of been bought anyways so that didn't really matter.

So really the only thing that I spent money on that wouldn't have been done is the furniture but we got the coach for $3k less than they were asking so it's wash in my book. Our overall budget was $32k and even after all these expenses we're at just over $31k.

Plus unlike any other coach we looked at this one has brand new tires, they were just put on in June 2012 so that saved us $3-4k. I found out that 99% of people selling their motorhomes planned it to where they do not have to buy new tires lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You've been BIZZY

Take your time and enjoy it...

Many things you may buy not may never be used once you determine your 'rv style'
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #8

Good for you! All that preventative maintenance is bound to pay off. I agree that no matter what you got you have some changes to make so springing for more expensive doesn't get rid of that aspect. You read all the time about people who bought new and then changed out the sofa, captains chairs etc.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
We can relate. When we bought our first coach a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion it had only 25K. Obviously when purchased ,2011, she had not been used much but that is not good. so we had to invest in overall maintenance just as you have done. By the time we upgraded the TV's to flat screens, repaired the Dometic frig, set the car up for towing and installed the Invisibrake the figure was approx 10k but she was like new. Just traded the 03 last January and received a great trade in allowance due to good upgrades and documentation to,support everything. We don't throw a single upgrade or maintenance record away. Just say'in!
Forgot to add in that we also upgraded to LEDs but I found them online for sale at $160 for 26" so that was a great deal. The PO was great on the maintenance but I like peace of mind and in my view I would have been doing it in a year or so anyways so why kick the can down the road. A lot of it isn't NEEDED just preference and when dealing with coaches that are 12+ years old which we were looking at they all needed something. What sold me on this coach was the brand new tires and great maintenance/repair records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I know THAT feeling when I bought my Adventurer! I knew it would take 6 new tires (price of purchase was appropriate for tire condition) new PI surge protector, filling it up with travel stuff, separate tools, dog crates, and lots of other odds n ends.

If you felt your price factored in doing all this stuff and were happy with it? If you like doing what you are doing? Then...

Enjoy!

Now post some pictures of your work!
I was surprised how much we spent just buying stuff you need. Sewar hose, water hoses, surge protectors, gloves, sewar hose holder etc etc etc. We bought all quality stuff so this should be a one time purchase and should last us many years.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
You've been BIZZY

Take your time and enjoy it...

Many things you may buy not may never be used once you determine your 'rv style'
True but we had to buy everything you must have like sewar hoses. The PO kept all their supplies so there was basically nothing in the coach. I splurged on the RV GPS because I used my phone on a trip where we rented an RV and it took me on a road that turned into dirt which then turned into a narrow 4x4 trail. It was not fun having the wife spend hours utside guiding me as I backed up for miles.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have purchsed two used coaches that were in good condition. Each time I have figured on initially spending another ~$5k for servicing, fixing stuff, roof reseal, and tires. That figure has been about right.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Good for you! All that preventative maintenance is bound to pay off. I agree that no matter what you got you have some changes to make so springing for more expensive doesn't get rid of that aspect. You read all the time about people who bought new and then changed out the sofa, captains chairs etc.
Exactly, I knew buying a 14 year old coach there were going to be little things. Heck even buying a brand new coach there are little things . We didn't plan on buying new furniture since I REALLY like what is in there and it is house furniture so we are going to move it into my office and replace what I have in there.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Exactly, I knew buying a 14 year old coach there were going to be little things. Heck even buying a brand new coach there are little things . We didn't plan on buying new furniture since I REALLY like what is in there and it is house furniture so we are going to move it into my office and replace what I have in there.
Just think you can do the same thing that those that paid $350,000 for there's.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Just think you can do the same thing that those that paid $350,000 for there's.
That's what I keep telling my wife but then she sees those $350k coaches and she needs to replace her undies.

Tags
motorhome