Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #15

On the diesel engines is there a mileage to stay under?

a dealership here just got in a 2008 with a floor plan we like. It has just under 34K miles and 650 on the generator. That isn't a lot of miles per year but it that a lot of hours on the generator?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #16

I would guess the high hours on the generator is do to the residential fridge!

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually hours on the Genny are not bad. Simply means the genny has been used and if maintenance records show routine oil and filter changes, that's great! Low use is a negative IMO.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
On the diesel engines is there a mileage to stay under?

a dealership here just got in a 2008 with a floor plan we like. It has just under 34K miles and 650 on the generator. That isn't a lot of miles per year but it that a lot of hours on the generator?
You didn't mention if the generator was diesel or propane, but I will assume diesel.

My 10k Onan (diesel) has 3400 hours and is still going strong. Read about a fella (maybe on this site) that has the same generator as mine with over 7000 hours and still generating!

650 hours is nothing.

Depending which Diesel engine is in the coach (size and age), the life expectancy can be anywhere between 400k to 1million miles. My old mechanical C8.3 has just shy of 150k. The life expectancy between in frame rebuilds on that motor is 1 million miles. Chances are it will out live me!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
You didn't mention if the generator was diesel or propane, but I will assume diesel.

My 10k Onan (diesel) has 3400 hours and is still going strong. Read about a fella (maybe on this site) that has the same generator as mine with over 7000 hours and still generating!

650 hours is nothing.

Depending which Diesel engine is in the coach (size and age), the life expectancy can be anywhere between 400k to 1million miles. My old mechanical C8.3 has just shy of 150k. The life expectancy between in frame rebuilds on that motor is 1 million miles. Chances are it will out live me!
Absolutely! Diesel generators and main engines are for hard use commercial purposes. With correct maintenance they will outlast most of us.

Tires are a different issue and suffer from age more than mileage.

The "sweet spot" for me, assuming cash payment, is an 8 year old diesel RV that is well maintained ... the key being maintenance and appearance.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW we bought a 10 year old gasser (Allegro Bay) since we had never RV'd before and wanted to " dip our toe in". It was in beautiful shape and now that I've done a few upgrades and minor changes, we have no desire to trade up. Lots of money kept in my wallet that I can use for upkeep if needed. Not for everyone but works for us for now.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Actually hours on the Genny are not bad. Simply means the genny has been used and if maintenance records show routine oil and filter changes, that's great! Low use is a negative IMO.
X2 - Generators like to be run, if you don't do it regularly you are supposed to exercise (AKA run) them. My generator on my sailboat had 3700 hours on it in but it was well maintained, started up quicker than my MH one and purred like a kitten.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
=These are not investments, you get them to enjoy the experience and make memories.

Hit the nail on the head with this one. Which is exactly why i bought a 22 year old, well cared for and kept up coach with only 18k miles on it for 5k. I was intrigued by the lifestyle but didn't want to invest a ton of money only to find out I wouldn't enjoy it enough to keep up with it. Also, I know for a fact that when you buy your first anything, you rarely comprehend what you really want. It has been a learning experience to say the least but the information I have learned is totally invaluable. It will serve me well when I break down and buy the six figure successor.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #23

We are going to check it out this weekend. Its a floorplan we like.

fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #24

ie2special, Good Luck, and if everything is as it should be, then go ahead a pull the trigger and get it. Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #25

Hubby is the hard one to convince, I am ready to get this going!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #26

We bought our first motorhome that was 4 years old but in great condition and we liked the floor plan. It was 35 ft with 3 slides. We kept it for 4 years and sold it for more than we paid for it. We just bought a 5 year old 41 ft diesel pusher with 4 slides. It has everything we wanted in our next rv plus it has many more extras. It was on consignment and we made an offer that I knew the owner would not take. Got a call the next day and was asked when we wanted to pick it up. Three weeks later the consignment dealer called and ask if I wanted to sell it for a hefty profit. Someone else had seen the add and they loved it. Told them sorry but we do not want to sell. Sometimes you luck out and find the right floor plan with everything you want for a great price.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #27

I would say a lot depends on how much money your willing to eat. if you're not worried about losing at least half of you money then buy newer. a 150k motorhome now will be worth half that in just a few short years. if your more concerned about not losing a boat load of money there are plenty of low mile 5-10 year old motorhomes that will serve you well. have friends who buy brand new and their coaches are in the shop more than my older unit. buying a unit and paying no attention to resell is foolish unless you've got the money to loose.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #28

We will need the first coach (with 3 distinct sleeping areas) until Summer 2020. Then we can go to just 2 sleeping areas.

I want to get the right coach now, that we can have for a long time, and that we can modify as needed. I don't want to be trading them in all the time.

I would love to stay under 100K but that isnt happening :(

I also do not want to buy new.

The question is, do I spend almost 250K on a used foretravel that is already 10 years old, with the perfect floor plan, or spend the same or less on a barely used entegra aspire?

Does the magic number go by by when dealing with the pricey ones?