Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
J1939 to OBDII Connector

My 2013 DP w/Cummins 6.7 uses the standard J1939 data connector. I want to take out the stock radio and replace it with an Android unit. This will give me everything - GPS, WiFi, Radio, Bluetooth, CD, etc. Many of these units also have the ability to display any info from the OBDII connection. In searching the web, there seems to be connectors available that connect one end to the J1939 port and the other end of the cable goes into an OBDII data connection port on the Android, Scanner or whatever else you are using. Has anyone used one of these conversions and/or can they recommend a particular unit. SilverLeaf products look great but only work on a Windows system. I do not want to go buy a Windows tablet just to do that. Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
KIX

I talked with Silverleaf about just this issue a year or so ago. IIRC they mentioned that they were planning to do something to make VMSpc compatible with Android. Have you talked with them recently?

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #3

I don't think it's just the connector, it's capturing and decoding the data stream. I bought a Windows tablet for under $100 to show my silverleaf output. Probably cheaper and much less agrivation.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I don't think it's just the connector, it's capturing and decoding the data stream. I bought a Windows tablet for under $100 to show my silverleaf output. Probably cheaper and much less agrivation.
Would you please adbise the model of what you're using.... thanks
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Would you please adbise the model of what you're using.... thanks
The silverleaf system is found here
VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

Or are you asking about the Windows tablet? That's in my coach which is at the storage unit. I'll have to get back on that
Old 01-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Sams had one for about 150 ish awhile back.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #7

8" NextBook windows tablet at Walmart for $80
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The silverleaf system is found here
VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

Or are you asking about the Windows tablet? That's in my coach which is at the storage unit. I'll have to get back on that
I asking abouthte tablet you're using. I've been usinbg VMSpc for a few years on a laptop but it's cumbersome and I want to find a tablet I can mount to easier viewing. Thanks
Old 01-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
8" NextBook windows tablet at Walmart for $80
Hey harry B I checked Walmart this afgternoon. I have 2 different programs I need to run on it I wasn't sure about one being compatible with Win10. Walmart only had a 10" model
Old 01-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #10

It came with windows 8.1. Shortly after setting it up, it upgraded itself to windows 10.
VMSPC runs fine on it. I bought the needed USB cable with the proper connectors on ebay. I suspect the only difference on the 8 and 10" units is the screen size.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In looking at the dash layout in my particular coach, it looks like I could just remove the factory gauge cluster - a 7" x 15" single piece of plastic with the gauges mounted on it, and fabricate a cover plate, and then add a NextBook to that. If it works, it would look similar to the Glass Dash installations - but about $5k less in cost. hmmmm !!
Old 01-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
In looking at the dash layout in my particular coach, it looks like I could just remove the factory gauge cluster - a 7" x 15" single piece of plastic with the gauges mounted on it, and fabricate a cover plate, and then add a NextBook to that. If it works, it would look similar to the Glass Dash installations - but about $5k less in cost. hmmmm !!
Couple of things. First, you can't remove the speedometer from the vehicle because there would be no record of mileage. This is a legal requirement.

Also, the J1939 data protocol is different than ODBII. they are two different languages.
This means a code reader for ODBII would not be able to display J1939 data, so you would need the Silverleaf.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe I wasn't clear. I would be using the NextBook (or similar) to display the VMSpc data. This would include ALL current gauges info plus the extra info I could add. The existing gauges would not be physically removed from the coach, merely wrapped up and stuffed in the huge area behind the dash. That would allow a return to stock look should I ever decide to sell the coach and the new owner did not like VMSpc. The NextBook would be attached with Velcro (or similar) to allow for quick removal when the coach is in storage. The NextBook (or similar) connects to the J1939 through the SilverLeaf VMSpc9.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now that is clear, sounds neat.

Does Vmspec display air pressure?

Dan