Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Jack pads?

When this question has come up before, I've said I use homemade pads of 3 layers of 3/4" plywood, in 16" squares.

Well, the new coach has outgrown them. 33,000 lbs gross, with a 3 point jack system.
That 6 or so tons on the single front jack has bent that plywood up like a taco, and had punched 2 inches into the blacktop before I gave up and turned off the fridge and raised the jacks the other day.

So, what will hold up to a big coach?

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I have a friend with an older Monaco 40' Signature that was having the same problems as you are having. We have a plastics manufacture in central Wisconsin. I knew one of their salesmen and he sold me 2 -12" square pads for the rear and 1 - 18" square pad for the front. The plastic was 3/4" thick and if I remember correctly it was industrial plastic. The plastic is used as a bottom in some dump trucks as well as a bottom in some manure spreaders. I used a router to bevel the edges and and drilled 2 holes in each pad and installed Polly anchor rope so he could pull the pads out with his awning hook after raising the jacks. My friend tried his best to destroy these pads and could not. They would warp some on a soft base but would resume their original flat form after sitting a while. The plastic is not affected by water and can be easily cleaned or rinsed off when necessary.

I used 4 - 12" pads on my Chieftain since I purchased it and they are as good as new. However my gross is only 22,000

Take a look at the outrigger pads at this website as another option.

Click Here

I hope I have helped you.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Take a look at these.... Outrigger Pads, RV Jack Pads, Utility Safety Equipment - Outdoors for Life They are in Michigan.
2005 Dutch Star 4009 - 2006 Toyota Tacoma or 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
I've posted this in another thread, but here it is again. For each pad, two pieces 3/4 plywood 20" square (or sized to suit your jacks). 4 pieces of cedar 4 x 4, same length as the sides of the plywood, with corners mitred at 45 degrees. Screw and glue to form a perimeter fame on one piece of the plywood, including screws to hold the mitred corners together. Two more pieces cedar 4 x 4, of a length to fit between the side members, cut halfway through to form a cross. Fasten these together at the cross-over, then to the plywood and the side members. Drill holes through one side member to take a length of rope to use as a handle for pulling the pad under the rig. Screw and glue the other piece of plywood to the open side of the pad.

Now you have a very rugged 20" square 6" thick pad. The cruciform inside bracing gives it extra compressive strength, so it doesn't "wilt" under a heavy load. Sure they're on the heavy side, but if you have a rig that's big and heavy enough to need them, you've probably got enough room in the cargo bays to store them. You can tailor the outside dimensions so they will fit in your cargo bay if necessary.

We only got our rig last July, so I haven't made a set for it yet. The basic design is from my son-in-law, who has made several sets for RV friends.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
We bought a set of 4 16" sq. x 1" thick yellow pads from OFL and they work great on our 4 jack 22,000 coach. The pads have save our jack pads in 2 camprgounds that used ground asphalt for pads and roads. $160 shipped.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
We use a set of OFL yellow pads and love them. Well worth the money. Easy to use and you can't bend or break them.
Highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
We use a set of OFL yellow pads and love them. Well worth the money. Easy to use and you can't bend or break them.
Where can I find information about purchasing a set of these OFL yellow pads?
2009 NuWa 37 RLSB HitchHiker Champagne
2010 F450 Ford Lariat, 6.4 Liter PSD
Tall Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors For Life 517.655.8481. www.outdoors-for-life.com
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
We got some inexpensive plastic (polyethelene) cutting boards. They work fine for our 29K lb coach.
USN, Retired
2002 Tradewinds LTC Founders Ed
2004 Tundra Double Cab toad, 2007 Honda Goldwing
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
The man I bought my first RV from put me on to this. Get a piece of 4 X 6 Pressure treated lumber. Cut it in 18" pieces and put a lag screw eye in one end. You can use your awning rod to put it under or remove it and it costs almost nothing. Why are people so hung up on buying stuff? Use some ingenuity and make your own. They work great and as far as I can tell will hold anything you put on them.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
Joe and Penny
Mischief and Spanky (Shih Tzus)
2013 Crossroads Z-1 29' Travel Trailer
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
5/4 tight grained pine boards cut 11.25" (so it ends up a square)then glued to each other across wise to form a grid
put a loop for the awning rod and we done
they are 2" thick and so far haven't exploded.. plus they are cheap so if i break one or leave it behind its not biggie

the rear pads are the same except i made the square a rectangle with three boards laying side by side lengthwise and two boards wide

if we are only staying one night i don't bother using them unless its an asphalt pad, just to avoid putting round divits in the pad
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are at 32,000 lbs with Monaco 3 point hitch and have:
1. Two pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed together (14"X14") 4 each.
2. Two 2X12" Three ft. long
3. Two 2X12" Two ft. long
4. Two 2X12" Eighteen inches long

#2,3&4 are used to level the MH by driving the low side up on.
#1 is used under the jacks and in over two years while parked in sand, soft (muddy) dirt, snow, etc. there's never been a problem. All wood is as straight as new.

May we assume you're using green (pressure treated) wood?
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. The OFL pads look nice and at a decent price.

Oddly, I solved my problem by turning ther MH around!

My driveway falls down and to the left pretty hard. Nose in I needed a bunch of front jack to level her f/r, then a lot of push on the left to do l/r. Nose out, and being careful to completely air down the suspension she leveled much nicer. Just enough front jack for an inch of rise, then crank on the rears till she's level. My wood pads and my driveway seem much happier, and all the tires are still on the ground.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I knew there is a reason I don't like the 3-jack systems.. Even if the 4-jack system I have is still a 3-point system,, just one point has two jacks.

Instead of 3/4 inch ply, why not a 2 foot length of 2x12, or even 1x12's but take two of them, cut one piece twice as long as it is wide and two pieces square, glue the two short pieces across the long piece

Frankly.. with a 3 point system.. DO NOT PARK ON BLACKTOP is my best advice, in fact in hot weather with a 4-point it's a bad idea.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote