Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Jack to lift motorhome

I have a 97 32 Holiday Rambler Vacationer on a Ford F53 Chasis. The front brakes are frozen - again! I'm more than a little PO'd about this after paying a dealer $1100 to replace the brakes two years ago.

I have no problem doing the work myself, though may be back here for questions once i get into the job. My first question is lifitng the unit safely. What kind of jack do i need? And, where can i buy it?

Thx!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

5 ton would be minimum I'd use on the front.
Auto parts store
Lowes
Sears

would be my choices

Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

I use the onboard leveling system and jack stands or you can use a bottle jack and jack stands that you can get from most any good parts store.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
20 ton bottle jack, tractor supply, Lowes, home depot, etc. and a couple sturdy hardwood blocks if you need more height for the rear, 5 ton is not heavy enough, the 20 ton is only a little more and if you later upgrade your couch, you can still use it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

If you are doing the brakes you only need to lift the axles to get the wheels off. I use the leveling jacks to take the weight of the coach and then a 12 ton bottle jack to lift the axle. Then pop a jack stand underneath just in case the jack fails. I got mine from Northern Tool although you may be OK with Harbor Freight. Car part stores won't have anything heavy enough.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are only lifting one corner at a time a 5 ton jack will suffice 5 tons = 10,000 lbs.
No matter what jack is chosen use jack stands for safety.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you jave an air compressor at home, Harbor Freight has a nice air/hydraulic bottle jack. You can use air or hand pump it up. It;s cheap and good for what you want to do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't use jack stands. I like to let the weight back down on blocks. I don't trust jack stands if something slips they can fly out with that much weight.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I don't use jack stands. I like to let the weight back down on blocks. I don't trust jack stands if something slips they can fly out with that much weight.
If you use good jack stands, they are more stable than blocks. Never use cement blocks for supporting a vehicle. They can crack if not loaded properly.

Make sure the jack stands are on a level, solid and firm surface.

Ken
Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Frozen Brakes

Dealing with your frozen brakes, again. Might check the rubber hoses that connect to your front calipers. They can fail internally and block the release of brake fluid pressure, thus leaving brakes applied after pedal is released. These rubber lines should be replaced when working on the front brakes. Hopes this helps.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Dealing with your frozen brakes, again. Might check the rubber hoses that connect to your front calipers. They can fail internally and block the release of brake fluid pressure, thus leaving brakes applied after pedal is released. These rubber lines should be replaced when working on the front brakes. Hopes this helps.

ronspradley
X2! I've seen "mechanics" replace calipers only to discover that didn't solve the problem. A side note, it's amazing what flushing and installing new brake fluid makes in total braking effect.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I should have been mode specific when I said blocks. When I built my deck I saved a couple of pieces of 6x6 and some pieces of 2x10. Ken you are right cinder blocks or even cement blocks should not be trusted. When pulled the wheels off the front of my motor home the front axle was only about 12 inches off the ground. I would have to jacked it much higher than I needed to too get a jack stand under it. Whether you use proper blocks or jack stands safety comes first. Don't trust the jack.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi tjc45 and

I agree with replacing the front hoses AND doing a full fluid flush. Who knows what the dealer did or DIDN'T do!

The caliper slide pins do have a bad habit of freezing up. Ford has a specific silicone-based grease for those pins. They are kinda odd compared to most caliper pins and yours probably look like this:

They are driven out and back in with a punch - I used a busted 3/8" socket extension. The center portion is rubber and it compresses over time. Unless you know for sure that the dealer replaced them, buy a new set of 4.

Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great answers!!! This thread is a lot of help.

Once Homer is lifted and the wheels are off we will have a better idea of what we are dealing with. Most likely going to replace all the brake components. Get it done right!!

I'm sure i'll be back with more questions. Until then, please feel free to add to this thread.

Tags
motorhome