Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jack warning sound

I have a 40 foot holiday endeavor with hydraulic jacks. While I'm driving the sensor on the jacks keeps going off acting like the jack are still down but they are not. All the jack are up as high as they can go and I did clean the cylinders off. Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

jack warning sound

low fluid add atf just behind rear wheels driver side to jack pump

Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

If Power Gear jack system, probably just low hydraulic fluid. With jacks all up, add fluid to the proper level.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If that does not work.....add more fluid until almost overflowing.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #5

Okay thanks I will try to add fluid
Old 11-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

Does it take just basic hydraulic fluid I can purchase at the automotive store?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to read the manual or go to the web site.. My Power Gear says Type 3 Transmission fluid. I changed the fluid and then had trouble with the "jacks down" alarm, had to top it off and it stopped the noise.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had same issue with my MH , just add fluid, you can deactivate low fluid sensor on power gear by just unplugging it temporarily utilize u get fluid. You'll see a round sensor mounted close to top of reservoir with 2 wires and a 2 prong plug, unplug and alarm will stop, but don't forget to fill and reconnect.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know, as soon as you disconnect the "jacks down" alarm, you will attempt to drive off with them down. Just sayin.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Happens to me too. HWH system and had everything checked out and all was fine. Called HWH tech support and they said sensor is sensitive so just drive with system in "store" setting. They said it would not damage the solenoid, but I am still a bit concerned about that.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #11

If your MH is like a lot of other Holiday Ramblers, check the air switch by the parking brake controller. We had the issue of the alarm sounding and after replacing the switch, no more buzzer sound. Just something else to check.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the HWH system (don't know which kind you have) just the heat from driving can warm up the fluid enough to expand it and set off the alarm as the jacks go down a fraction of an inch. Scary first time it happens at 60 mph on the interstate. Don't panic, just reach over and turn the system on and hit the store button. Turn it off after a minute and you are good for the rest of the trip. I wouldn't leave it turned on though.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I have a 40 foot holiday endeavor with hydraulic jacks. While I'm driving the sensor on the jacks keeps going off acting like the jack are still down but they are not. All the jack are up as high as they can go and I did clean the cylinders off. Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this?
Mike;

I had the same problem with my hydraulic jacks. They kept going off at intervals with no rhyme or reason. Most are saying check the fluid levels, but my jacks were different. Look at the top of yours. If there is a wire connector attached to the top, then you have the magnetic sensors built into the top of each jack. Mine are the Kwikee Powergear, but some of the HWH systems also use the magnetic sensors. They should be wired in series, so that if one of them is open, then the alarm goes off.

If you have the sensor in the top of the jack, then you will have to find out which one is defective. With the jacks up and the alarm going off, unplug each one, one at a time and check the continuity with an ohmmeter. There should be little to no resistance as this is just a reed switch. Of course it will probably be the last one you check, mine was.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the service manual for the HWH 325 series and it says the magnetic switches CLOSE when the jack is extended 1/4-1/2" so yours would be just the opposite. If the switch is defective, it will show no resistance (Closed) in the up position. Normal switches should be open in the up position.

You may be able to find a replacement sensor, but I had trouble finding one. You can just unplug the sensor lead on the defective one, but you will never know if it is actually up or not. I came up with a jury rigged solution like below using a plunger type micro switch used in machine tools. It is water resistant and durable. Two hose clamps and a $10 switch fixed mine. This solution will work with either system as the micro switch can be wired normally open or normally closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	79645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	79646  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	79647  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike....You probably have the RVA jacks on your coach. I think 06 was the last year they used RVA. Either way, check the tank level. Go to your pump, located behind the louvered door and dash A/C condenser, in front of the left rear wheel. The tank will probably be filthy from overflow and it's open to road dirt. Spray it liberally with a degreaser and then rinse off to keep dirt from getting into the tank. The needle vales in the pump are very susceptible to dirt.

The vent cap in the center of the tank is also the filler. Remove the cap. Lower your front jack 6" and turn the ignition on,. The alarm should be sounding since the jack is down. (You'll need to be aired up so the low air alarm isn't also on.)

Open the driver's window and fill the tank until you hear the alarm quit. This should solve your alarm issue if low fluid was causing it.

I'm willing to bet that your pump will be covered in oil and grime. This occurs because fluid slops out the vent/fill cap. If you remove the cap, you can buy a short 3" threaded brass nipple and union that matches the threads on the vent/fill cap. Screw in the threaded nipple and then thread the cap back on. This allows the tank to still vent, but fluid won't slop out.

While you're in there, Monaco bolted the front of that pump to the frame and left the tank portion hanging in the air. The tanks can eventually crack from no support. On both sides of the tank is some metal framing. Take a piece of metal, with a chunk of rubber in the middle and slide it under the end of the tank, securing both ends to the metal supports on both sides of the tank. This will keep the tank from cracking. You'll see what I mean when you look.

As "R2Home" stated, there is an air switch that is attached to the bottom of the "Parking Brake" release located in the panel by your left leg. These are NOTORIUS for going bad. My 05 Diplomat went through three of them. Typically, they will alarm out of the blue for a couple of seconds while driving. More often, the alarm will sound when you release the parking brake and put the coach in drive. The alarm will continue for 5-10 seconds and then stop. If you've had this occur, the switch is bad. It's made by a company called Nason. Monaco parts still sells the switch. Its about $50.00 shipped to your house. It's attached to the "Parking Brake" release as I stated. You have to remove the side panel by your left leg to replace it. It's a brass switch about the size of your thumb with an airline and three wires attached. It's easy to replace, just a tough area to work in.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote