Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Jacks don't work

We live in a 98 Newmar Mt. Aire gasser. We've been in one place for almost six years. Lately I've been lax about starting the coach up monthly and let the battery discharge. It's old, ollldddd. We've had a bit of sinking to one side and I want to level the coach. I know the batt won't do it. but I reasoned that a jump start from my Jeep would work. The coach starts fine. I couldn't level us, however. The lights go on at the leveler control (HWH)panel. It shows a yellow on the driver's side and all the reds. There is no response to my pressing any button. I guess I'm going to call a pro, but thought I'd post here first. Will lit make any difference if I buy a new battery? Thanks. Pic shows our exact control panel layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	238784  
artrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi artrosch,
I'm just assuming you have been plugged into shore power all this time so batteries should have been charging without running the engine. However, if they are wet, lead acid batteries and have not been serviced (water level kept up, connections clean and free of corrosion) in a long time batteries could be an issue.
Poor ground or blown fuse could also keep the pump from operating.
When was the last time you leveled/re-leveled your coach? You may want to look for signs of fluid leakage at each jack. Seals may have deteriorated.
Start with the simple which will be battery condition. Get those in shape first.

Best of luck!
Let us know what you find.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to try storing the jacks and then re-leveling too! Make sure you don't crush anything you might have stored under the coach.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #4

Ditto with CoachC. Good luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #5

storing jacks

Well, first I checked the jack fluid level. Whoa! Almost empty. We're having several issues at once, due to the prolonged rain. But, getting back to the jacks. Tomorrow I top off the fluid. IF that doesn't help I'll consider hitting Store and start over. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If topping off the fluid doesn't solve your problem, contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosch View Post
Well, first I checked the jack fluid level. Whoa! Almost empty. We're having several issues at once, due to the prolonged rain. But, getting back to the jacks. Tomorrow I top off the fluid. IF that doesn't help I'll consider hitting Store and start over. Thanks!

The level will be lower with the jacks extended. When you retract the jacks the oil level will increase. If you fill the reservoir with the jacks extended it may overflow when you retract the jacks.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfmorgan View Post
The level will be lower with the jacks extended. When you retract the jacks the oil level will increase. If you fill the reservoir with the jacks extended it may overflow when you retract the jacks.

This. Do not top off your reservoir with your jacks extended. You’ll end up with a big ole mess when you retract them.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If your batteries went dead remove the jack panel remove plugs for 20 seconds replug this should reset the board
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #10

I always suspect corroded electrical connections.

Grab a can of CRC contact cleaner and lubricant - as well as some dielectric grease. Remove all the old push on connectors (spade lugs), spray them with CRC, wait to dry, dab a minor amount of dielectric grease and reconnect. Hit all the connectors you can find for the circuits involved. Recrimp the cripmed connection while you're at it and don't forget to remove/sand any grounds that go to the chassis/frame.

My MH is an '08 - this simple procedure has fixed; cluster gauges and warning lights, water heater, electric steps, water separator alarm, basement lights, etc.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #11

I agree with checking your grounds...I believe you'll find all yours very near to the hydraulic system on one big welded on stud.

Then, while you're down there, look for a big 40 amp inline fuse. Those also corrode and sometimes open circuit from the corrosion. Mine was so bad I clipped it out of there and bought a new 40 Amp with spade lugs from Napa. Then used new crimp on mates to that large spade lug, also from Napa. Stripped the wire back beyond the corrosion, added the crimp terminals, surrounded them with heat shrink, then plugged in the fuse. Good as new.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #12

storing jacks

Thanks for all of your sage replies. Corrosion? Yes! We've been in this one location for five years and a lot of things have worn down. Now I've developed a leak in my fresh water pipes.

Art
Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #13

storing jacks

So far I've tried resetting the board, buying a new battery, etc etc. I've got an auto mechanic helping me. He knows nothing about jacks etc but he's talented and loves to figure out puzzles. I suspect corrosion but it's been raining like crazy here. Sunshine today. I really need these jacks. Also called/emailed Paul Maddux but missed his early a.m. return call.

Art
Old 03-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

Do you have hydraulic slides? Do they work? Probably the same pump and motor so if they move you know the pump is good.
There might be two solenoids on the pump assembly. One will run the leveling system and one for the jacks. Tell your mechanic they work like the solenoids on a starter. If you get voltage on the control (small) terminal on the solenoid then the control box is working. The other control wire will be grounded. Check continuity to ground. If all is working you should feel/hear the solenoid close the circuit. Check for power at the pump motor terminal and see if the solenoid closes the circuit.

Tags
jacks