Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question "JACKS DOWN" alarm/light on

My 2012 Winnebago Vista will be rolling along when all of a sudden lights, alarm and panel flashing! The first time was on a stretch were we could not pull over and we imagined all kinds of terror below.
After pulling over & inspecting found nothing wrong, upon arriving our destination we checked oil level, & owners manual but found nothing addressing this problem.
Took the rig to our dealer, they replaced the control panel. The tech said should it happen again simply hit the "retract jacks" button. A week later the same thing. While driving the jacks down light came on , flashed for 33 seconds, went off for 2 seconds then repeated this continually, all the while the alarm sounding and the panel flashing. The retract jacks button did not help.
Upon arrival I got out of the rig and checked all jacks, they were up. Went around and tapped on their bottoms in the event they were only slightly down, nothing , lights, alarm all still saying jacks down. I put it back in gear to move to my final parking spot and Wallah, all went back to normal, no alarm panel stopped flashing and jacks down light out.
When I take it back to the dealer they will say"Cant fix it if it aint acting up while its here"
What can I do?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #2

May not apply to you but when our Safari does that it is low on hydraulic fluid.
barryb
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Disconnect the alarm and just check visually more often. The problem may go away with time. My first guess is that the level switch in the reservoir is intermittent. Or a wiring connection is loose. Might fix it by wiggling wires. Get yourself a new service center.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my coach sometimes one of the jacks may move down enough to set off the alarm. Not really a problem, l just push the Store button. It doesn't take much movement to set off the alarm.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine did the same thing. So at every start up I automatic push the store button. Not had a problem in 8 years. Keep us posted. God Bless, good luck
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the bandaids but this thing is still under warranty and I need it corrected, who should I turn to? The jacks company is Power Gear, do you suppose they have seen this problem?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #7

I had to modify the fluid level sensor located at the top of the Power Gear holding tank in our 2009 Itasca. Used to be almost every hard left turn would set off the alarm even when the fluid level was at the top. Not sure what system you have, Our Power Gear tank is located behind the drivers front tire.

Yes I believe many Winni / Itasca Power Gear owners have experienced this very problem over the years - Check the fluid level with all jacks UP, fill it up to the very top.
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Thanks for the bandaids but this thing is still under warranty and I need it corrected, who should I turn to? The jacks company is Power Gear, do you suppose they have seen this problem?
I'm sure Power Gear has seen this problem before. I would call them and talk with their tech support.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We had the same problem develop in our Winnie. Crazy question, did you check the fluid with the jacks retracted? On our unit if the fluid level is not right up to the neck of the fill tube the alarm will go off...especially when the brakes are applied for a rapid stop.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

Mine did the same thing on my 2002 Eagle with the Power Gear system. Going straight down the level road no problem but as soon as I hit a slope or turned the alarm went off then would clear itself when I got level again. I topped off the fluid with ATF and it solved the problem. Also take a look at your float sensor. The point should face up. If it's like mine there should be a large plastic nut on the top of the reservoir where the sensor wires attach. There should be an arrow (a point) on the sensor and the point should face up. If it's not, loosen the nut and turn the sensor accordingly.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since it is under warranty, did you talk to the management including the owners of the dealership? Between them and the company who built the coach should fix it. I suspect you left frustrated and wrote this post. GET IN THEIR FACE.

A side note, you will need a volt/ohm meter if you intend to do anything electrical on your coach. In this case a meter will tell which component is malfunctioning. PM me if you would like to discuss any more.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The rig was actually at the dealer a second time for an other "jacks" problem. When trying to level the unit at a site that was anything but close to level already, the system would go nut. It would actually lift the entire coach off the ground, all 4 tires between 4 and 10 inches off the surface, yet one jack still completely retracted, scary.
The tech had to recalibrate the system and explained that this is a fickle system and if I intend to park in a very unlevel area to buy a level and use the manual function. After 40 miles from the dealer is when the jacks down problem occurred.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I never like the automatic leveling system. It would jack the coach up in air more than necessary. It is not hard to do it manually once you learn the sequence. I had a bubble level stuck to the panel near the leveling switches. As I remember I would level side to side and then raise the end which was low. Maybe a slight tweak and then done.

So this is not the first BS response you have received from the dealer. It sounds like to me they have no one on their staff who can do anything with the leveling system. And going to the jack company is not what you should do since you are not their customer and short of driving to their factory, which I have herd of people doing, they really can not do any work for you. For warranty works you are the customer of the dealer. If that does not work, go, call, the coach manufacturer. They might direct to another dealer.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is power gear, add 1/2 cup of the recommended fluid to the jacks tank, (Dextron III I think) if this does not fix, add another half cup.

NOTE: VISUALLY inspect jacks to make sure they are all up,, Often if you have not done the recommended maintenance in a while one or more may be slow to retract fully.. The fix, is in the owner's manual, (The recommended maintenance).

Tags
jacks