Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

"Jacks Down" light stayed on

On our trip home we stayed a night in Williams, AZ, very cold, down in the 20's that night. By far coldest on our 94 day trip.
Next morning the 'Jacks Down' light wouldn't go off and I crawled under and all jacks were all the way up. Alarm sounded when I popped off the parking brake and I started saying bad words.
Finally decided to just put parking brake down 1 notch to turn off alarm, the parking brake pedal goes way down so I knew it wouldn't cause any harm.
In the first hour or 2 of driving the light went out, no more problems with jacks.
Do you think that the cold reduced the oil volume enough to not trigger the fluid level switch in the hyd. oil tank, that turns off the light?
Checked fluid level before trip, and no sign of leaks.
Ever happen to any of you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Were any of you jack down lights on? I believe the alarm is activated when anyone of those lights are on.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #3

Yes, the 'Jacks Down' light stayed on, there is only one light for all 4 jacks.
The light triggered the alarm that goes off when you pop off the parking brake, so I pushed the parking brake pedal down one notch to silence the alarm.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Each leg has a limit switch of some kind. When one or all of the legs go down these switches will will activate you leg down light. With the temp down to 20 degrees I would have to think that one of your limits switch was froze. Therefore not deactivating your light. After you traveled for a while the temp got warmer then the switch started working properly.

You say it is working alright now?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

Yes, all is working fine now. Just curious if it had happened to anyone else.

I'm going to read the book again, but I though it said that there was only one switch and it was in the hyd. oil tank.
As the jacks went up, the fluid from all 4 jacks returned to the oil tank/reservoir and when the tank was full, it meant all the jacks were all the way up. And the switch in the tank turned off the light when the tank was full. Maybe that switch froze?
Anyway, that's what I thought it said, will read again.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I would guess the oil level is very close to the low limit and perhaps the cold condensed the oil just enough. I would add just a bit of oil if you are heading back to cold areas.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Yes, all is working fine now. Just curious if it had happened to anyone else.

I'm going to read the book again, but I though it said that there was only one switch and it was in the hyd. oil tank.
As the jacks went up, the fluid from all 4 jacks returned to the oil tank/reservoir and when the tank was full, it meant all the jacks were all the way up. And the switch in the tank turned off the light when the tank was full. Maybe that switch froze?
Anyway, that's what I thought it said, will read again.
Well there is only one way to find out. Look at each of you jacks and see if you have electrical wire going to each on. If so, you have the limit switch on your jacks. If not then it must be in the tank.

I guess every manufacture has do something different to keep us in the dark.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #8

I had a similar problem with the jacks down light - the light was powered by a fluid level switch on the reservoir, so when all jacks are up, the fluid returns to the reservoir and activates the switch. My problem was a slow fluid leak that prevented the fluid level from reaching the point where the switch would activate. If your level is correct, then I would suspect the switch itself. I jumpered it just to get home without the beeping at the time.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #9

I have crawled under to check the jacks before and never saw any wires on them, so pretty sure the switch is in the tank.
For me, the easy fix was to just push the parking brake pedal down one notch.
And the long term fix is to stay out of cold weather.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
On our trip home we stayed a night in Williams, AZ, very cold, down in the 20's that night. By far coldest on our 94 day trip.
Next morning the 'Jacks Down' light wouldn't go off and I crawled under and all jacks were all the way up. Alarm sounded when I popped off the parking brake and I started saying bad words.
Finally decided to just put parking brake down 1 notch to turn off alarm, the parking brake pedal goes way down so I knew it wouldn't cause any harm.
In the first hour or 2 of driving the light went out, no more problems with jacks.
Do you think that the cold reduced the oil volume enough to not trigger the fluid level switch in the hyd. oil tank, that turns off the light?
Checked fluid level before trip, and no sign of leaks.
Ever happen to any of you?
I'm assuming you have a PowerGear setup, I have a similar setup as well. And I had the almost the same exact problem you had. When the temp dropped my alarm went off under moderate braking, when I was off the brake the alarm shut off. It was just a bit low on fluid and when the coach was warmed up for a few minutes the problem was gone. And at the temperature you stated, any hydraulic fluid volume will decrease. I'd bet that's the only thing wrong.
(In my situation the fluid would slosh forward away from the sensor in the tank when braking)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

I have the same problem,when I inspected the jacks I found 1 that had a a loose pad. all other pads were tight and not movable,this in turn was not allowing the limiter switch to make contact with the pad to show the all up green light.
hope this helps.