Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Jacks down when storing?

Does anyone on here put the jacks down when the MH is not being used to take the weight off the tires? And do your tires last longer doing this?

throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do use my jacks while in storage. I have read that as a good practice to help with tires but I'm not really sure if it's true or not.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #3

Yes and yes...

Ours has kick jacks and rears with just a 2 X 4 under will rest about ride height with jack not extended.

Front requires 2 ( stacked flat).

Tires standing with weight can get a flat spot.

Ours look nice and round as weight is on jacks except for axle weight.

The blocks flat en out over time as well.

Another bonus is now the weight is across 8 points instead of 4 and 4 are further away from the edge of the driveway.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
During the summer when at home, yes the jacks are always down. During winter storage, I fully air the suspension up and have the jacks fully retracted, I then build up dunnage under the retracted jacks, I then dump the air in the suspension. This takes some of the weight off the tires and still keeps the jacks fully retracted so as to not cause corrosion on the pistons.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #5

My Spartan chassis manual states to store with jacks down.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I am proud that my Mountain Aire will sit on its air bags for months at a time.........after fixing all the suspension air leaks,
During the summer, here in Penna. ,most of the time, it just sits on it air bags, because we use it just about every week or two.
During the winter, I just park it in the shop after the fall maintenance and "Auto level it" for the winter months.
Years ago, with old technology in rubber tire's, yes, flat spots can/would develop sometimes. I have not heard of flat spots on tires in decades...........from sitting.
After sitting all winter, never a problem with the tire's or repercussions from sitting all winter.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This past year is the first time I've stored an RV with the jacks down. The pavement, if you want to call it such and ground in the RV storage lot is not real great, so, for protection of the metal leveler pads I bolted two Camco plastic RV leveler pads together to make a thicker and stronger pad, and placed one set under each jack. Next I picked up four large heavy duty outside door mats and placed under the tires to protect the lower part of the tires from the splashing water, dirt and mud. I also keep the the tires coated and use tire covers even when parked on our trips.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

How long do RV's sit on the dealer's lot without being moved? I never see them with their jacks down unless it is being shown to a prospective buyer.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #9

I would have never believed that tires get flat spots anymore, until I pulled my MH out of 6 month storage in central FL.

The 1 year old Bridgestone tires thump, thump, thumped for about 5 miles before smoothing out.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbbin367 View Post
Does anyone on here put the jacks down when the MH is not being used to take the weight off the tires? And do your tires last longer doing this?
No wrong answer IMHO, we are not full timers but have stayed in a location for 90+ days and the jacks were down the entire time.

Think it is good to move the jacks to clean and relube them, and most tires will be age dated before they wear out on a motorhome.

JMHO,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

The Manager of the facility we store our Mh at asked us to leave the Jacks retracted. His reasoning was that in case of a fire, they stood a better chance of. saving our MH, or saving others if ours was the one on fire. He said dragging it out with a tow truck would be too difficult with the jacks down.

We are in the Desert Southwest, so our Motorhome does not get stored for months at a time.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have never kept the jacks down during it's 5 month winter storage and have not experienced any flat spots. Maybe Irish luck?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
The Manager of the facility we store our Mh at asked us to leave the Jacks retracted. His reasoning was that in case of a fire, they stood a better chance of. saving our MH, or saving others if ours was the one on fire. He said dragging it out with a tow truck would be too difficult with the jacks down.

We are in the Desert Southwest, so our Motorhome does not get stored for months at a time.
If a fire started in the storage lot/place, by the time a tow truck got there.........it would be over
Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the latest Roughing it Smoothly quarterly magazine that Tiffin Motor Homes puts out they recommended storing the coach with the jacks down.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks