Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #85

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
Oh one more question, to turn my converter on do I just flip the main battery switch to on. It has been on all day while it has been charging if that is what that is.
Yes, as long as you are hooked up to shore power or are running the generator.

Quote:
Do those chargers hook on by the battery when you are parked and then you remove when you drive. I can just see me forgetting to unplug that thing...... I do stuff like that a lot.
You could mount a battery tender under the hood, permanent style. Just needs a 120v RV outlet to plug into.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #86

Will you have any type online computer or smart phone with you? This may have been asked but what are the ages of the children? any old enough to be learning this information with you? Lots of things to remember and 2 heads are better than one.

WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIm64 View Post
Will you have any type online computer or smart phone with you? This may have been asked but what are the ages of the children? any old enough to be learning this information with you? Lots of things to remember and 2 heads are better than one.
I do have a smart phone so that will be good. Ages are 14, 12, 10. 8, 6, 4,3, and 18 months.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #88

I checked the chassis battery plugged in =12.41. I unplugged from power and rechecked immediately =12.41. So it is not getting a charge. I guess I need to go buy a charger. I would like one that could keep it charged and also jump start it if necessary. Is there such a thing? We are taking the mh tomorrow to the place where we are going to dry camp for the summer to try things out. I was thinking I should get something before I go so it is a true trial run.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #89

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the biggest fully automatic battery charger you can afford. Battery chargers don't have a jump start, they have a boost mode that will quickly charge a low battery.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
.......Top off your batteries with DISTILLED WATER, clean all the cables, you may have to mix some baking soda/water solution if your cables are really bad. Leave your motorhome plugged into shore power until you get ready to travel. NAPA sells a really good Battery Cable spray.I haven't moved our motorhome in close to a year, just periodically run the engine/generator/air conditioner's and jacks. Just good preventive maintenance. Good luck, JMHO.
david

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #91

solar battery charger/tender

Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer Solar Charging System - 12 Volt, 15 Watt Panel, Model# SCC-015: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Does anyone have an opinion on this solar battery charger/tender?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's got 6 reviews.. Did you read them?

A battery tender should be "smart" enough not to overcharge. It's 15 watts, which means under full sun it's going to be putting out just a little more than a single amp. Basically it's a "maintenance" charger.

Keep your RV in the sun? It'll do the job.

Using the coach batteries and expect that to keep up? It won't.

I have several chargers (RV unrelated). The vehicles that sit get floating chargers. The gate is on a solar battery maintainer and a panel that can do about 60 watts. In the garage is a mult-purpose charger that does 2 amps, 10ams, 30 amps, and has a 50 amp "start" setting. The start setting is really only for small vehicles like motorcycles and yard tractors...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
Yes, I also have an opinion. Don't bother with it. Current is too low.

You have patio outlets, right? Buy a charger - starter device from 1,000's of suppliers, auto stores, walmart, costco, etc. and attach it to your chassis battery when you have parked at your destination. Plug it in and drape the AC cord where ever you need to to give it 120V Ac. DC cables of course go to the chassis battery. Whether it's shore power or genset. Since you'll be staying in a field for four months, you can do that since you won't be moving more then once a week...I think.

I also think that you're over thinking this. The chassis battery does need an auxiliary charging source but it doesn't need to be too big or fancy. A float charger plugged in and operating when the genset is running or when you're plugged into shore power will suffice for nearly all users. I'd just suggest a 10A charger for a quicker charge on genset.

And of course you can just disconnect the chassis battery while you're boondocking. No charging needed. The house batteries will do the job running everything in your house. (Except you won't have a dash radio).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #94
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The dash radio, according to your manual, will run on either chassis(service) battery power, or "house" batter power. There is a switch on the dash to choose which one you wish to use. Just remember that the more items you use the more the battery(s) will be drained.

As Jim pointed out, the solar panel you looked at will only trickle charge the batteries. You could add more solar panels, or get a bigger capacity one.

According to your manual you have a solar panel on the roof, this would be evident on your energy management panel with a "light" that is labeled "solar," and there may be a switch to turn it on/off. Of course, having a solar panel on the roof would also depend on the previous owner not changing anything, or just not having that original option installed.

Have you been on the roof yet?

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #95

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm looking at this on my rear jacks... Did you have to drop the entire ram to get the solenoid out?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I'm looking at this on my rear jacks... Did you have to drop the entire ram to get the solenoid out?
Who was the question for?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #97

update

We just did a two day trial run at the beautiful place we will be boondocking in the summer. I turned off the main chassis switch the whole time. I ran the generator for 45 minutes a day. The chassis battery stayed about 12.65 and the house stayed about the same. We were very conservative on using any house power but we did have the heater running for half the night. Looks like I might be o.k. without a charger or solar panels. I will post pics tonight of the place that we will be so you can see how pretty it is.

p.s. I did my first dutch oven too. And it was yummy!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #98

Can't wait for the pics!

Just thinking out loud here: Many areas allow you to drain your GREY tank onto the ground (but not near lakes, streams, creeks, etc.). Doing so would allow you to have a little garden, or water a nice tree, etc. and allow you to do your dishes indoors (I assume you'll be in a place that may have summer storms). If you have a readily available source of water to refill your fresh water tank, you could use the bathtub/shower too.

Oh, and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

PS That out-of-place post was meant for a different thread.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, power