Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #99

My pics had a problem loading but here is one of them. Kids building a fort in the woods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	treehouse.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	21168

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #100

Camping1234.mp4 - YouTube

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #101

Wow. I haven't been around that many kids out camping since I was a kid myself...really don't envy the position you'll be in this summer. Hope the weather is really nice the whole time. By the looks of the F&F, you're up in the foothills so it should stay cool(er) but it looks like there's a lot of rain there.

One thing about the awning, they really help keeping the interior of the RV cooler but they can be easily damaged by fickle or unpredictable winds. In light rain, they can slowly collect gallons of water, stretch and tear. So be aware of that. I've stayed in places were I might have to retract it a couple times a day, every evening, or during a rain storm, to avoid having it damaged.

If you're going to be using a gas BBQ to cook outside, many people connect to the main tank with a kit or with parts available at Ace hardware or similar store. That avoids having to repeated fill a 20lb tank...at those extra high prices.

Good luck and have fun!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Wow. I haven't been around that many kids out camping since I was a kid myself...really don't envy the position you'll be in this summer. Hope the weather is really nice the whole time. By the looks of the F&F, you're up in the foothills so it should stay cool(er) but it looks like there's a lot of rain there.

One thing about the awning, they really help keeping the interior of the RV cooler but they can be easily damaged by fickle or unpredictable winds. In light rain, they can slowly collect gallons of water, stretch and tear. So be aware of that. I've stayed in places were I might have to retract it a couple times a day, every evening, or during a rain storm, to avoid having it damaged.

If you're going to be using a gas BBQ to cook outside, many people connect to the main tank with a kit or with parts available at Ace hardware or similar store. That avoids having to repeated fill a 20lb tank...at those extra high prices.

Good luck and have fun!
We are going to dutch oven alot and we have a propane camp chef 3 burner grill. Is it cheaper to hook it to my mh tank and use gas or is it cheaper to use propane?
Because we are in a lot of trees it should stay cool. I hope. I also have a portable shade thing.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
We are going to dutch oven alot and we have a propane camp chef 3 burner grill. Is it cheaper to hook it to my mh tank and use gas or is it cheaper to use propane?
Because we are in a lot of trees it should stay cool. I hope. I also have a portable shade thing.
Generally, you'll be buying your RV's propane (gas) from a bulk supplier. RV's and gas grills use the same gas - propane.

You know those places outside of most towns with the big white tanks? That's your bulk supplier and you just drive in and they fill your tank up. Or you can call them and they'll deliver. Nearly every town in the US has propane delivery because that's what most rural areas use for heat and cooking. Delivering it to your site (which will add some cost per gallon) is what most people do. That usually costs you around $3-$4/gallon or so (depending on area). Here in Flagstaff, AZ, it's $2.79/gallon delivered right to my RV. They might have a $10 delivery fee, forgot to ask.

And many people that are going to be parked in the same spot for a while lease a 100lb tank. Not that expensive. The propane company plumbs it in for you. Usually with a quick disconnect so you can still drive the RV.

If you're swapping 20lb tanks at the local grocery store, the cost is $7-8/gallon (a 20lb tank only holds around 4 gallons of propane). And bulk suppliers often charge those premium prices for a 20lb tank fill up so you usually won't save anything by going there with a 20lb'er.

What you'd need for your RV, I believe, is an extend-a-stay kit (around $70), or you can make up your own by buying the parts at a hardware store (~$25). You plumb in a hose to the RV tank usually to a built in take off point right on the tank, or you need to add plumbing to add your own take off point. Then to the gas grills regulator, bypassing it's tank, your gas grill should have it's own regulator.

10's of thousands have done this or are doing it now. If you're not up to working with propane, by all means, have your propane dealer look at it and make suggestions. Many would even do the work.

Take a peek inside your propane compartment. Look for a brass screw-on cap attached to a small metal 'T' fitting connected to your tanks plumbing. If you have that, you just need the proper hose with the proper fittings. If you don't have that (most do), you just have to add a 'T'.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #104

Thanks! That is great advice on how to save on my propane
Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #105

I happened to check one of those 'exchange your tank here' places today and they've filled the rack with 15lb tanks (for decades they were 20lb). That's only 3.55 gallons of propane. And they wanted $24 + tax for it. That comes out to $6.76/gallon. And you can only exchange with the same size tank.

Yikes!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #106

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
you can only exchange with the same size tank.

Yikes!
I had an old style propane tank (worthless) and Home Depot let me exchange it for a new style tank. It's a great deal for that, otherwise I will fill the new tank at a propane station.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #107

First thing I want to say is that you did the right thing by posting your problem.

We all have experienced these problems and have many suggestions for you.

Do not get discouraged by our responses, learn from them.

I have had two older coaches before the current one.

I have had found circuits that have been moved from house battery to chassis battery and vice versa. Strange problems indeed.

Some units have solar panels to keep chasis batteries charged, however if under cover like me, they don't help. I other "parsitic" loads have been added to the chasis batteries they will suck it dry in no time.

You can use a stand alone charger to keep em' topped off, but you have to remember to do that. I used to charge them the night before departure, which was a pain because I had to raise up the step cover, hook up the charger, leave the door open all night to dissapate the fumes and all of this would interfere with loading the coach.

Here is something new I discovered today and will order this week, seems to be foolproof and doesn't require any participation on my part. A wee bit expensive but cheaper that buying batteries and being trapped in my driveway:

##! On Sale Xantrex Echo-Charge Digital Auxillary Charger 82012301 - BIG Discount! | Facebook

Also a good load tester will tell you the true story about the status of your battery.
Battery Tester - Save on this 6v/12v Battery Load Tester

Wally C

05 Monaco Knight 38' Cummins 330 4 slides

Tags
jacks, power