Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Jacks just took out my power! Still sitting at home.

So if you read my earlier post "We can't leaving for camping because the jacks won't come up" then you might be interested to know that they finally came up this morning We had about 1 minute of cheering from all the 8 children. We can go camping! NOT! We got in the motorhome and the key won't even turn over. Now this is the strangest thing. We have it plugged into power, it has been for 2 days now, even when it is dead the automatic steps always go out when we open the door, Right after the jacks went up I opened the door and the steps did not come up. I went over to try the control panel on the jacks and nothing lit up. I put the key in and tried to start the MH and nothing. The lights will turn on in the MH. Hmmmm what in the world? I can't believe this is happening.
By the way the way i think I got the jacks up is there was a silver round nob on the resevoir tank that we turned and it released the pressure. However we did that last night and the jacks did not come up because the control pannel had no power. We thought we had accidently must have left the keys in the ignition and ran out the battery or something. So this morning I went out and turned the key to on position, hit the on/off button on the control panel and pushed retract all for fun. i knew it would not do anything because it hasn't worked for days but it actually pulled them up. So I don't know if it was turning that knob last night or what. Anyhow, now we still are sitting here wondering what in the world happened.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
We had about 1 minute of cheering from all the 8 children.
Congratulations! Good to meet another mother of a large family! I have 10 myself!

Glad your MH seems to be working now err somewhat lol! I'm sure you'll feel much more at ease after you've had it all checked out and a few trips under your belt. I had an incidence this week where we called a repair man out to check out our new found "gas leak" only to learn our pilot light had simply gone out in oven oh well having someone there to check over everything and explain how things work and are suppose to run made made me feel much more at ease. Maybe it would be good to have someone you trust give you some lessons on your new MH?

MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Not to worry, you should see all the stuff we are fixing on an old motorhome we bought. You will get it done and be on your way before you know it.

Kind of sounds like dead batteries to me, but that's just guessing. You should have a panel you can check and see.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
So if you read my earlier post "We can't leaving for camping because the jacks won't come up" then you might be interested to know that they finally came up this morning We had about 1 minute of cheering from all the 8 children. We can go camping! NOT! We got in the motorhome and the key won't even turn over. Now this is the strangest thing. We have it plugged into power, it has been for 2 days now, even when it is dead the automatic steps always go out when we open the door, Right after the jacks went up I opened the door and the steps did not come up. I went over to try the control panel on the jacks and nothing lit up. I put the key in and tried to start the MH and nothing. The lights will turn on in the MH. Hmmmm what in the world? I can't believe this is happening.
By the way the way i think I got the jacks up is there was a silver round nob on the resevoir tank that we turned and it released the pressure. However we did that last night and the jacks did not come up because the control pannel had no power. We thought we had accidently must have left the keys in the ignition and ran out the battery or something. So this morning I went out and turned the key to on position, hit the on/off button on the control panel and pushed retract all for fun. i knew it would not do anything because it hasn't worked for days but it actually pulled them up. So I don't know if it was turning that knob last night or what. Anyhow, now we still are sitting here wondering what in the world happened.
Sounds silly and stupid, but make sure the transmission selector is in Park....Sometimes they can get loose and not make the connection to the ignition. Also, mine you have to turn the key on and wait about 15 seconds for it to go through a self check, then it will turn over. Try that.

If still no luck, as others stated here, could be your chassis battery is dead? Or coach batteries? Sorry I'm not more help.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know what system you have but with our HWH jacks the motor should be running when bringing up the jacks. It's possible you just ran the battery down. You may have it plugged in but that system on most units does not charge the chassis battery. We have a solar panel on the roof that takes care of our chassis battery. Hope you get it figured out so you can take that trip with the family. Good luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2003 the chassis battery is charged while hooked up to shore power.....Also there is an auxilliary start switch that will draw power from the coach batteries if the chassis battery is low. Do you have one of those? (aux start)
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

OP

It may be a total different item. A typical motorhome of you vintage will have house and chassis (engine) batteries. Your interior lights, etc work off the house batteries and starting the engine works off your chassis battery(s). Many motorhomes do not charge the chassis batteries when plugged in (only house batteries). Sounds strange but only a select few charge both when plugged in. You should try to charge the chassis battered with a portable charger right away. That should do it. It will charge while driving as well.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Don't know what system you have but with our HWH jacks the motor should be running when bringing up the jacks. It's possible you just ran the battery down. You may have it plugged in but that system on most units does not charge the chassis battery. We have a solar panel on the roof that takes care of our chassis battery. Hope you get it figured out so you can take that trip with the family. Good luck.
My HWH jacks are retracted by the springs. It does no matter if the engine is running or not. I retract while putting everything away. When I start the engine all I have to wait for is the air pressure to come up. HWH has stated that 10 minutes is an acceptable wait time for the jacks to retract. If longer the springs may need replacing.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the time you actually do get to go camping you're going to know everything there is to know about your new coach... :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #10

Do not get discouraged. If you have your operating manual, check it for correct start up procedure. We had problems with our jacks when we first got it. Besides the main cylinder that pushes down, there is a small cylinder above it. I had to clean those off and spray with silicone to get them to retract correctly. I had to do this more than once. They are now working great. One time, I thought my batteries were dead or I had blown some fuse and it turned out that I had to cycle the switch a few times for the aux. battery. Hang in there, you guys will get it figured out.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
OP

It may be a total different item. A typical motorhome of you vintage will have house and chassis (engine) batteries. Your interior lights, etc work off the house batteries and starting the engine works off your chassis battery(s). Many motorhomes do not charge the chassis batteries when plugged in (only house batteries). Sounds strange but only a select few charge both when plugged in. You should try to charge the chassis battered with a portable charger right away. That should do it. It will charge while driving as well.
O.k. so all my frustration this week came from running the chassis battery low. I think???? We jumped our battery with our neighbors automatic jump starter thingy and the jacks worked. I am confused however on why the slide went in and out and the front jacks went down but the back ones would not budge. Maybe I used up all the power putting in and out the slide and putting down the front jacks and then it had no more juice. Hmmm. Hopefully. So maybe I will invest in one of these automatic jumper deals. Anyone know of a good brand?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
By the time you actually do get to go camping you're going to know everything there is to know about your new coach... :-)
I totally agree
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #13

You really need to learn how to maintain your batteries. I know it is so much information to digest but you will have a hang of it shortly. A good article to read is the 12 volt side of life. Do an Internet search and read up. You will learn more about batteries than you ever imagine. Does your coach have a battery disconnect switch for both your chassis and house batteries? You need to invest in a method to charge your chassis batteries (not the jumper thing your neighbor has). Not thy the jumper is a bad thing to have. I you keep letting your battery run down low or going dead, they will not last long. You need to keep them charged up for proper maintenance.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberVet65 View Post
My HWH jacks are retracted by the springs. It does no matter if the engine is running or not. I retract while putting everything away. When I start the engine all I have to wait for is the air pressure to come up. HWH has stated that 10 minutes is an acceptable wait time for the jacks to retract. If longer the springs may need replacing.
While you're on this subject ..... if your "jacks down" light stays on too long due to a problem, it can burn out the soledoid valves. We replaced all 4 on a coach last week (about $185 ea).

Some things can cause this are low fluid level, weak springs, or (if equipped) a bad "up" sensor or broken wire.

rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, power