Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Jacks up or down for storage.

I have my Winnebago Sightseer parked in a gravel parking area next to our grarage, until we can take off for warmer weather sometime in January. Currently the jacks are DOWN and on 2X12's and the tires are all resting on 4 foot 2X12's. I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on leaving the jacks deployed for storage.. Seems like when the snow flies, it might cause the cylinder shafts to rust due to moisture.
Should the jacks be stowed causing more load on the tires during winter storage?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think much of our membership is mixed on this one.

Many, including me, put my jacks down to relieve some of the weight from the tires. I live in a dry climate so the exposure of the jacks isn't a concern.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
As long as they are lubricated every wee or two you will be ok! Most experts say to use silicone spray wipe clean, then spray again, wiping clean a second time.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

X2 on RickO comments! I leave mine down and spray with WD40 before pulling up to clean. I spray and then wipe down the WD40 and then apply a silicon spray before retracting after storage.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, the cylinders that they use are a high grade coating process like that on hyd. cylinders on heavy equipment and they sit outside as soon as they leave the factory for just about the rest of thier life and the biggest percentage of them when junk still look good. The jacks on coachs are even at a better advantage than equipment being that they are under the coach and see little to no weather under there and for the most part always dry due to the breeze under there. They are fine down like others have stated.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A company rep with a long history in the RV industry said put the jacks down far enough to relieve the pressure on the wheel bearings. Sounded like good advice so that is what I do.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WH347,
This decision is purely personal preference. Jacks up or down it matters not to any of the components. Talk to the manufacturers of the jacks, tires, chassis and that is the answer you'll get. If you decide to have the jacks down, there is no need to lube the exposed piston shafts. If they are HWH brand, there will be no deterioration. If you want, lube (do not wipe) the exposed piston area just before you retract them.

For me, when not in use, my jacks are in the up position.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Down, that's why they are there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes mine are up, sometimes they are down...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you leave them down for the winter can it weaken the retraction springs at all?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is about 50/50 so decide what makes you the most comfortable and use that approach absent any specific reccomendations from your manufacturer. Mine stay up and I am comfortable with that no matter what else is said. My tires and jacks have never failed over ten years and I do not think it would be different if I ran them down instead. But if I had them down in storage I would feel compelled to get under there and check on them and lube them and I just do not like getting under the coach unless necessary.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you put the jacks down you might have a tough time raising them in January if they are frozen to the ground.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #13

Thanks to all who replied.. Your thoughts were helpful !..I beleive I will leave them down for now and just clean them up before retracting which, hopefully, will be mid-January when we will head south for a while.
Bill
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I leave my jacks up as I don't want to have the hydraulic system under pressure for 5 months straight while I am not around. If a solenoid goes bad, as mine just did, it could retract one jack and leave the coach in an unbalanced condition supported on 3 jacks and a set of tires for an extended period of time.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, storage