Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
I have had both, our current coach has air only. I don't have a preferance one way or the other but the air is nice just pull up and hit the button done. As far as problems both will have them, and both can leave you stranded never had it happen but it can. However some coach builders use some really undersized jacks for the size of the coach. As others have said it is eaiser to twist your coach with jacks. It will happen with air also mine cracked a RH whindshield (failed RF travel solenoid) backing it out to wash it in the drive way.

Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Commercial Member
both systems work good for leveling. the jacks have a little more leveling capacity. normally about 7 inches or so once they reach the ground. this can be increased with the use of blocks or pads. the air bags are limited to the height of the bag. the jacks stabilize the coach.
if you air level, wind will cause more movement than if you were on jacks. i have had customers complain because their unit still moved when on jacks. jacks stabilize the coach, but are not a concrete foundation. there will still be some movement.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Master of Disaster

Sorry to bump an older thread but it seemed to make more sense than anything else...

I am thinking of adding air leveling because my coach doesn't have any air dump right now, and as long as I'm starting a project... might as well not just do dump, but leveling as well. Since when we travel, we often do long driving days (to get more time at our destination) and spend nights in truck stops or rest areas where we would love to level but don't want to put jacks down.

So my next question is, when you get to a campground, can you use the air leveling to get the coach level, then turn it off and "stake" the coach in place by then just dropping the hydraulic jacks until they make contact?

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
For long term storage, the jacks would get most of the weight off the tires.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Steve sorry I can't help with your question, but one of the reasons we wanted to order our new Diplomat was to be able to add the hydraulic leveling to the coach, that way we have both. Just thought it was worth the extra 2k to get it right from the manufacture. I do think that we'll most likely use the airleveling the most.
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
We have had both on different coaches. It was rather embarrassing when we couldn't level in a site with our jacks and a friend with air leveling took the site and leveled just fine. We currently have air leveling only and love it. Another couple we travel with have jacks and now wish they had air since traveling with us. It is easy for us to level when we stop for lunch in a rest area and they just forgo leveling. There is a little more movement of the coach with air leveling as someone moves about or wind gusts blow, but it is not objectionable for us. Our "land yacht" is a bunch steadier than any boat floating on the water.

Jacks only offer an "up" option whereas air bags will let you go up or down. This multiplies the total amount of leveling available. It is quite often I will have to raise the front and lower the rear to get level or raise one side and lower the other. Only once have we had to use blocks under the tires on the front to get reasonably level in the five years we have had the coach.

Having had both systems we prefer the air leveling we currently have. Yes, we get a little more movement than with jacks, but even the coach that is on jacks will move a little bit. If you want a stable platform, stay in a stick house.
Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Jacks only offer an "up" option whereas air bags will let you go up or down. This multiplies the total amount of leveling available.
Only true if you have no air dump option. I dump air to the rubber bumpers inside the air bags, then level up. W/the HWH 625 system we have more total leveling range than w/any air system I've seen.

If I was going to mess w/adding air leveling, I'd look into the HWH AirRide (I think that's the brand name) in-motion leveling/control.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #22
We have both air and hydraulics which levels to the frame and the jacks never touch the ground. If I had to choose one over the other it would be hydraulics.
Bizprocoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #23

Have both on our new MH. Had problems with the hydraulic jacks on our TS. Love the air bags, and (if wanted) can lower the jacks (3) to add stability. Single jack in front is to avoid any frame twist and windshield problems. Only used jacks once (in 16,000 miles) when wind was high. Also liked (after level) was able to lower all bags, still level, and have steps closer to ground.

Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

jacks, leveling